Options

Self-Paced, Sybex or other?

NozzaCNozzaC Member Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
I used the self-paced book for the 70-270 and whilst it help me pass just fine, I found it very dry and boring. I didn't look forward to picking it up and it literally sent me to sleep a few times.

Is the 290 as dry? How does it compare to the Sybex?

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    I had a really hard time getting through the 290 MS Press book, but part of that was my lack of motivation and my general aptitude for procrastination...the rest was that it was a pretty dry book and that I was somewhat of a noob regarding the materials. I didn't have much hands on with Server 2003, so it was slow going for me. I started and stopped more times than I can count, and I had to go through my TestOut stuff first before I could get back to finishing up with the MS Press book.

I've heard nothing but good things about the Sybex books, and if I hadn't already plunked down the cash for the MS Press book and TestOut, I probably would have picked it up for this exam.
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
  • Options
    someehsomeeh Member Posts: 143
    I'm using the MS Press book in addition with the Sybex book. I'm also using Preplogic exams hoping it will help out on areas I'm not to sure of. After using both books I think the Press book goes into detail more than the Sybex imo.
  • Options
    WillTech105WillTech105 Member Posts: 216
    Unfortunately MS Press dropped the ball for their books on the for this and the "beast" exam. I found them really boring and I loved how their "step by step" for installing ADs, DHCP, ect. was more of a summary of steps than an actual "Step by step". I ended up filling in the gaps they left out in the book itself.

Definitely used a different source. CBTs are great for this and plenty of hands on.
    In Progress: CCNP ROUTE