System Shutdown in Windows Server 2003

ronorono Member Posts: 121 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hi there!

I have installed Windows Server 2003 ,Enterprise Edition,Evaluation version which came with my MCSA Core Pack books,on my computer,which already has Windows XP Professional installed on;so,I made a dual boot.

Since I log on as a Administrator on W Server 2003 after few minutes I get an error which goes like:

"System Shutdown

This system is shutting down.Please save all work in progress and logg off.Any unsaved changes will be lost.This shutdown was initiated by
NT AUTORITHY\SYSTEM.

Time before shutdown: 0:45sec(the counter starts)

Windows must now restart because the Remote Procedure Call (RPC) service terminated unexpectedly."

I can connect to the Internet but I don't have enough time to update Windows because of this error,which starts everytime...

Is my first installation of server OS and I planned to start study for 70-290....

Thank you in advance
Mess with the best,Die like the rest!

Comments

• Special_k21Special_k21 Member Posts: 155
    Look like the blaster worm (or some variant). When that message appears, go to start, run, and type cmd

in your command prompt, type shutdown /a
    that will stop the shutdown process. Being blaster, you probably won't be able to use windows update. Search for MSBLAST in your processes. I believe it also sits in your registry under:
    local machine/software/microsoft/current version/run

Best of luck to you!
  • ronorono Member Posts: 121 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thank you,first of all :)

I searched after MSBLAST but it's not present in my processes.

The shutdown line command with /a swtich kill the error message window but the then the system is freezing...none of the buttons,links works!?I have to restart the pc pressing the on/off button for 5 sec....This error appears after aprox. 5min.

I looked in the Registry but no MSBlast there...and again I'm stuck...because I've installed again Windows Server 2003....and again this error appear!! icon_evil.gif

It might have something to do with that I'm dual booting;remember on HD is already installed Win XP Pro...
  • sab4yousab4you Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
    MSBlast doesnt have to be actually on your computer.

MSBlast will communicate over the networks and can cause windows OS to shutdown/crash as your symtoms point to.

Do a windows critical update and get all the patches and then let us know if you still have this problem and we can move off MSblast and try troubleshooting other ideas for ya
  • sab4yousab4you Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Sorry forgot that your system will crash before you can do windows update.

Boot up on another computer or in XP and then download the critical update for 2003 using the microsoft link:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=51184D09-4F7E-4F7B-87A4-C208E9BA4787&displaylang=en

Save it to a folder you can grab at when you boot into 2003. Then reboot into 2003 with your internet connection unplugged and apply the patch.

Then plug in your internet again and then do windows update and grab everything available for you.
  • ronorono Member Posts: 121 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks!

It took me 2 days to get the updates before that system shut down error;after updates was all installed,that error message has dispeared! icon_lol.gif

have a nice day! icon_wink.gif