Options

Hexadecimal conversion

psilikonpsilikon Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey guys, I am currently entering the last class in the 4 class Cisco Networking Academy and they have yet to cover hexadecimal conversion. Actually the instructors have not even mentioned it; I remember the Todd Lammle book covering it in depth. While It is a relatively simple concept and would only be a matter of brushing up, should I even bother? Is it covered in the 640-802 exam?

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    eunickeeunicke Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Brushing up on it is not a bad idea. You would not want to miss a simple question because you did not review hexadecimals.
  • Options
    Great point. Just another thing I need to keep in my brain. Man, the CCNA really does cover a wide breadth of information. I will be real proud of myself once I pass the exam and earn the certification.
  • Options
    sandman748sandman748 Member Posts: 104
    I don't see how converting HEX to binary or decimal has any practical use in CCNA. I've done 30+ tests through the network academy levels 1-4 and have never been asked anything about it. I would't waste too much time on it.
    Working on CCIE Collaboration:
    Written Exam Completed June 2015 ~ 100 hrs of study
    Lab Exam Scheduled for Dec 2015
  • Options
    Oh i gotcha sandman, I was wondering why I am getting into the fourth of four CNAP classes and no one has mentioned it. Gives me more time to focus on subnetting i guess.
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    I saw hex-to-decimal and even hex-to-binary conversion questions on 640-801 exam when I took it. Hexadecimal conversion isn't part of the 640-802 exam blueprint anymore, so there may not be questions on the topic. Then again, binary conversion and subnetting aren't explicitly mentioned either and it's a pretty safe bet you'll be asked to do some of each. Study up on hex conversion just to be safe. Even if you don't see it on the test, it's still a handy skill to have if you find yourself doing it on the job.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    sandman748sandman748 Member Posts: 104
    Well I guess I stand corrected. I didn't even think you could go direct from hex to binary. I've always gone from Hex to decimal and then decimal to binary.
    Working on CCIE Collaboration:
    Written Exam Completed June 2015 ~ 100 hrs of study
    Lab Exam Scheduled for Dec 2015