Your favorite Registry edits/tricks?

LarryDaManLarryDaMan Member Posts: 797
I know some people edit the registry on their Windows machines to do everything from improving performance and security to just personalizing and having fun.

What are some of your most useful and/or cool registry edits?

Comments

• binarysoulbinarysoul Member Posts: 993
    Bringing back Solitaire game on my work PC! Opppsss!
  • Megadeth4168Megadeth4168 Member Posts: 2,157
    Tough one... I guess I would have to say the ability to export Registry keys, edit that exported file and use it in a script.

This has been highly useful when changing a database to a different server. I have been able to change the ODBC connection settings in my edited registry export and write a simple batch file that executes the .reg file on the client computers via AD login script. Nice Time saver!
  • bwcartybwcarty Member Posts: 422 ■■■□□□□□□□
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar\WebBrowser
    New DWORD > ITBar7Position=1

Moves the file menu back to the top of the window in IE7/8.
    Help eradicate blood cancers with a donation to the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society.
  • Tyrant1919Tyrant1919 Member Posts: 519 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Whatever the one was that decreased my ping by 100% when I played WoW back in the day. I forgot what the details were, but it disabled some algorithm that determined the best time to send packets instead of sending them asap.

Work related, probably the one that adds the computer name under the my computer icon.
    A+/N+/S+/L+/Svr+
    MCSA:03/08/12/16 MCSE:03s/EA08/Core Infra
    CCNA
  • tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    Tyrant1919 wrote: »
    Whatever the one was that decreased my ping by 100% when I played WoW back in the day. I forgot what the details were, but it disabled some algorithm that determined the best time to send packets instead of sending them asap.
    Setting TcpAckFrequency to 1 actually increases congestion on your upstream because you're now sending an ACK for every packet.

Globally turning off Nagel's algorithm does nothing for WoW since it does it by itself anyway.
  • jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\ACPI]
    "Start"=dword:00000004

Nice annoyance .. causes a BSOD .. "Last Known Configuration" is the "fix" obviously ...
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p