Options

Very quick newbie CCENT questions (exam Friday 19th June)

nelsonnrnelsonnr Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
First post here and looking forward to many more discussions.

I've got the ICND1 exam booked for 10am on Friday 19th June 2009 in Edinburgh, Scotland.

Yikes. Very nervous and excited.

Anyways, quick question:
  1. What happens if I run out of time and dont manage to answer every question? Is it an automatic fail?
Many thanks guys - awesome website!

Let me share one more thing with you - Cisco sent me a very nice email today, I am sure most of you will have it......

A recent study by Forrester Consulting for [EMAIL="Learning@Cisco"]Learning@Cisco[/EMAIL] indicated that in the next five years, companies expect wireless networking roles to almost double, voice networking roles are expected to exist in almost 70 percent of companies from 40 percent today and 80 percent of companies expect to have dedicated networking security roles- from only 46 percent today.

Got to love being in IT - but I do take it with a large pinch of salt obviously!

Nelson

Comments

• Options
    giterrellgiterrell Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    nelsonnr wrote: »
    First post here and looking forward to many more discussions.

I've got the ICND1 exam booked for 10am on Friday 19th June 2009 in Edinburgh, Scotland.

Yikes. Very nervous and excited.

Anyways, quick question:
    1. What happens if I run out of time and dont manage to answer every question? Is it an automatic fail?
    Many thanks guys - awesome website!

Let me share one more thing with you - Cisco sent me a very nice email today, I am sure most of you will have it......

A recent study by Forrester Consulting for [EMAIL="Learning@Cisco"]Learning@Cisco[/EMAIL] indicated that in the next five years, companies expect wireless networking roles to almost double, voice networking roles are expected to exist in almost 70 percent of companies from 40 percent today and 80 percent of companies expect to have dedicated networking security roles- from only 46 percent today.

Got to love being in IT - but I do take it with a large pinch of salt obviously!

Nelson

if you dont finsh in time, you wont get any credit for the questions you didnt answer. That doesnt mean you will automatically fail, though. It depends on how many you dont answer and how much those questions are worth. Just keep an eye on the clock and which question you're on. You should be fine.
  • Options
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    Not sure if you already know or not but you can't review your answers. Once you've clicked past that question you can't go back.
  • Options
    giterrellgiterrell Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    good point. someone on here learned that the hard way recently.
  • Options
    Yeah thanks for reminding me. I'm going to be as sure as I can be before hitting next.

I have no idea if I feel prepared for this exam. I've been studying for so long I know a lot of things off by heart, but there is still some stuff I'm not good at - configuring port security, different types of xDSL etc.

I am not aiming for 100% pass obviously, but I guess you never ever know what the 80% will cover for a pass hey.

How do you ever know you feel ready for an exam? I recall feeling positive when I took Windows NT Server & Workstation exams back in 1998. This is my first IT exam for 10 years - terrible I know.
  • Options
    captobviouscaptobvious Member Posts: 648
    How do you ever know you feel ready for an exam? I recall feeling positive when I took Windows NT Server & Workstation exams back in 1998. This is my first IT exam for 10 years - terrible I know.
    For me it's when I can't stand to open the book or fire up the lab again. crash.gif Then it's time to throw down on the test!
  • Options
    drew2000drew2000 Member Posts: 290
    For me it's when I can't stand to open the book or fire up the lab again. crash.gif Then it's time to throw down on the test!

Same goes. You will eventually hit a wall where you either can't stand to study any more, or in my case further studying hurts you instead of helping. An example of this that happened to me was that I started studying practice questions and I think some of the questions I was getting wrong were actually incorrect. In other words, I think I was right and the test was wrong. If that is true, than further studying is only hurting you.

Drew
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    How do you ever know you feel ready for an exam?
    When I'm using the "one chapter, one beer" study method, I usually take the exam when I run out of chapters and/or beer. icon_lol.gif

Good Luck on Friday!! icon_thumright.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    Thanks guys - and thanks for the wish of good luck Mike :)

I think I've nailed subnetting (I can look at a CIDR and figure the increment quite quickly)

Its all the little things, switch forwarding process, apps using TCP or UDP, MPEGS and JPEGS at the presentation layer - you know, the things you know you are going to forget in a few months time that drive me crazy.

I keep opening Wendell Odom's Cisco Press CCENT book at random pages just to catch myself out.

The truth is - I've read and studied the book, but I cant remember all of it - surely not - do you guys remember ALL of it?
  • Options
    drew2000drew2000 Member Posts: 290
    The truth is - I've read and studied the book, but I cant remember all of it - surely not - do you guys remember ALL of it?

Not with Odom's stuff. His books are very detailed and sometimes over the top. Focus on his key points and know the hands-on stuff.

Drew
  • Options
    Thanks Drew.

The hands on stuff - I think I know as much as I need to know:

Setting up interfaces
    Show commands
    CDP commands
    Setting up WAN encap
    Port Security
    Basic stuff like enable passwords, hostnames, motd, no ip-domain-lookup etc
    Telnet username, password, username
    SSH, domain-name
    Default routes
    Router rip

Is there any other hands on stuff that I've perhaps missed?

I sometimes getting mixed up and delve into the ICND2 topics such as access lists etc.
  • Options
    BadBoy HouseBadBoy House Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
    good luck mate - let us know how you get on
  • Options
    Thanks badboy - 1h 55 mins!

Will post up when I can (but wont break NDA) :)
  • Options
    cerberoscerberos Member Posts: 168
  • Options
    Nailed it! Absolutely delighted. Cant believe it. In shock - was not confident last night at all. OMG :) 874/1000 which I thought was respectable considering my lack of confidence. Arghhhhh - so happy :)

Thanks to you guys for lifting me out of the depths of study hell and onto a pass!
  • Options
    laidbackfreaklaidbackfreak Member Posts: 991
    nice one fella icon_smile.gif congrats I think you've earned a beer for tonight icon_smile.gif
    if I say something that can be taken one of two ways and one of them offends, I usually mean the other one :-)
  • Options
    Thanks laidback!

Oh definately buddy, a few cold ones will go down a treat!
  • Options
    sandman748sandman748 Member Posts: 104
    Congrats on the pass. And here you were making other threads anticipating your fail. I bet in hindsight you probably studied more then you needed to.
    Working on CCIE Collaboration:
    Written Exam Completed June 2015 ~ 100 hrs of study
    Lab Exam Scheduled for Dec 2015
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Nailed it!
    Congratulations!! icon_cheers.gif
    a few cold ones will go down a treat!
    Great Plan!! Follow through after an exam is very important!! drunken_smilie.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    BadBoy HouseBadBoy House Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
  • Options
    cerberoscerberos Member Posts: 168
    Congratulations nelsonnr icon_cheers.gif
  • Options
    adeeteeadeetee Member Posts: 79 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Nailed it! Absolutely delighted. Cant believe it. In shock - was not confident last night at all. OMG :) 874/1000 which I thought was respectable considering my lack of confidence. Arghhhhh - so happy :)

Thanks to you guys for lifting me out of the depths of study hell and onto a pass!

Hey good job! Congrats!!!
    Wish List :
    CISSP...