Curse you Microsoft...

genXrcistgenXrcist Member Posts: 531
...and your little dog toto too...

The wicked witch of the Pacific northwest got the better of me today as I sat my 1st attempt with the 70-294. 624/1000. Ugh. I know the material and do it almost on a daily basis. For this exam I used Sybex and a bunch of technet sites but that wasn't the issue. The issue is of course, the unrealistic wordiness of this exam.

Where to go from here? Well hopefully I can get in again before June 30th but honestly, I'm almost at a loss as to what more I can do to study for this exam.

Thoughts from those who took it multiple times or are about to take it a 2nd or 3rd time?
1) CCNP Goal: by August 2012

Comments

  • PsoasmanPsoasman Senior Member Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Hey,

    Sorry to hear you didn't pass. At least you have feel for the exam. I've heard its very wordy, to say the least. I'll say it in advance, congrats on passing!
  • Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Wow, sorry to hear that. Just started studying for that exam myself and was hoping to take a crack at inside of a couple of months.

    What kind of lab did you setup? What materials you working with? On your exam break down, what areas did it say you "needed development" in?

    I am working with...
    Online software tutorials, training CDs, Photoshop Tutorials, Dreamweaver Tutorials, Apple Tutorials from vtc.com
    TestOut
    Sybex Book
    Microsoft Press
    and Transcender (when I can afford it!)
    -Daniel
  • FishOnAHFishOnAH Member Posts: 55 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Sorry to hear that GenX. I get to have my go at it tomorrow. I too do AD/GPO everyday, but there are always aspects we just dont use in our former multiple, now single site/domain environment. I have a feeling I'm going to hit around where you did though especially if its wordy. If the AD God's are with me I shall smite icon_twisted.gif the test for us both and let it know you will return!
  • genXrcistgenXrcist Member Posts: 531
    Daniel333 wrote: »
    Wow, sorry to hear that. Just started studying for that exam myself and was hoping to take a crack at inside of a couple of months.

    What kind of lab did you setup? What materials you working with? On your exam break down, what areas did it say you "needed development" in?

    I am working with...
    Online software tutorials, training CDs, Photoshop Tutorials, Dreamweaver Tutorials, Apple Tutorials from vtc.com
    TestOut
    Sybex Book
    Microsoft Press
    and Transcender (when I can afford it!)

    I have two labs, one virtual and one physical but neither really is adequate. I took a class for the 290 & 291 thanks to the State of MN paying for it and from that I got access to a Remote PC on the schools network running Virtual PC. On it I have 1 DC, 1 Member server and 1 Client PC. I mess around with that one a lot cuz I can do it from any PC and of course, if I muck it up I can just reset it. :)

    At home I have a physical Dell server and a single client PC. The server isn't too high powered but I'm sure it could handle a few virtual machines. I just have yet to put that in place. I mainly use the physical lab when I want to get the feel for this stuff. Just something different about working on actual hardware. :)

    Anyway, for study materials I just have the Sybex book. I read a few technet articles and some of the sticky notes but there's just so much information on there that it's almost overwhelming. Moreover, I don't have a problem retaining the general knowledge. What I seem to be struggling with is Why, where and when does Microsoft suggest doing something? I really didn't guess on a single question. I thought my answers made the most sense so it's pretty hard to study up.

    I might just have to pony up some more dough and get Transcender for this one too. Right now I'm trying to convince a testing center to let me in before June 30th for a retake as they're booked solid until July!!

    As for my breakdown, I forgot the sheet at work so I'll post it tomorrow. icon_sad.gif
    FishOnAH wrote: »
    Sorry to hear that GenX. I get to have my go at it tomorrow. I too do AD/GPO everyday, but there are always aspects we just dont use in our former multiple, now single site/domain environment. I have a feeling I'm going to hit around where you did though especially if its wordy. If the AD God's are with me I shall smite icon_twisted.gif the test for us both and let it know you will return!

    Thanks Fish and truly, best of luck to you tomorrow! Roll that 20!!!! Nothing like a critical hit to start your day off right. ;)
    1) CCNP Goal: by August 2012
  • genXrcistgenXrcist Member Posts: 531
    Psoasman wrote: »
    Hey,

    Sorry to hear you didn't pass. At least you have feel for the exam. I've heard its very wordy, to say the least. I'll say it in advance, congrats on passing!

    Appreciate the kind words Bro. :)
    1) CCNP Goal: by August 2012
  • genXrcistgenXrcist Member Posts: 531
    Daniel,

    What do you pay for the vtc.com account subscription?
    1) CCNP Goal: by August 2012
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,314 ■■■■■■■■□□
    genXrcist wrote: »
    Daniel,

    What do you pay for the vtc.com account subscription?

    Dude, it's right in the middle of the home page. Are you a little worn out from the exam? icon_lol.gif

    This is a tricky one. I remember thinking while waiting for my results, "If I fail this, I have no idea how to be more prepared for it."

    I'd give Transcender a shot if I were you. It helps you get in the right frame of mind and really hammers the material into your head.
  • TryntotechitTryntotechit Member Posts: 108
    Good Luck GenX. You'll get it next time.
    Taking 70-294 very soon...again
  • genXrcistgenXrcist Member Posts: 531
    dynamik wrote: »
    Dude, it's right in the middle of the home page. Are you a little worn out from the exam? icon_lol.gif

    This is a tricky one. I remember thinking while waiting for my results, "If I fail this, I have no idea how to be more prepared for it."

    I'd give Transcender a shot if I were you. It helps you get in the right frame of mind and really hammers the material into your head.

    I'm gonna have to do that. It really helped on the 293 as well. :)

    I checked out vtc.com and saw the $30 for one month but to me that sounded like an introductory offer. I wanted to verify with someone who was paying for it to see if their premium went up.

    Nothing wrong with worms bro. Noble creatures, ten hearts, you can cut em up and they keep on living, all the birds want 'em. :)

    Dynamik, given you're in St Paul I'd love to take you to lunch sometime and go over some of this stuff. Do u meet up with people on occasion?
    1) CCNP Goal: by August 2012
  • NetAdmin2436NetAdmin2436 Member Posts: 1,076
    Worms? Where'd that come from? I think Dynamik asked if you were worn out, not wormed out. icon_lol.gif

    Anywho, you were only like 3-4 questions away from a pass. You'll get it next time. I'd suggest you setup your lab to include at least 2 forests with a domain or two underneath them. Practice creating trusts, UPN's, Sites, GPO's, Maybe publish and assign some .MSI packages and all that jazz.
    WIP: CCENT/CCNA (.....probably)
  • genXrcistgenXrcist Member Posts: 531
    Worms? Where'd that come from? I think Dynamik asked if you were worn out, not wormed out. icon_lol.gif

    Anywho, you were only like 3-4 questions away from a pass. You'll get it next time. I'd suggest you setup your lab to include at least 2 forests with a domain or two underneath them. Practice creating trusts, UPN's, Sites, GPO's, Maybe publish and assign some .MSI packages and all that jazz.

    Thanks for the catch there Net. Perhaps the tears blurred the letters for me. hehe

    For that I need to setup another Member server to promote but I'll be sure to do it. That would allow for some interesting testing of UPN's, Universal Caching etc.

    Speaking of assigning an MSI package, just today I figured out how to assign the MS Compatibility Pack msi install and deploy it through Group Policy at work. Pretty pumped about that!
    1) CCNP Goal: by August 2012
  • Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    genXrcist wrote: »
    I checked out vtc.com and saw the $30 for one month but to me that sounded like an introductory offer. I wanted to verify with someone who was paying for it to see if their premium went up.


    I am only paying $23 a month. I was sent a coupon code a while back in email. $30 is the actual rate. No adjusting.

    Try searching around for coupon codes on the web, they advertise all over.
    -Daniel
  • NetAdmin2436NetAdmin2436 Member Posts: 1,076
    genXrcist wrote: »
    Thanks for the catch there Net. Perhaps the tears blurred the letters for me. hehe

    For that I need to setup another Member server to promote but I'll be sure to do it. That would allow for some interesting testing of UPN's, Universal Caching etc.

    Speaking of assigning an MSI package, just today I figured out how to assign the MS Compatibility Pack msi install and deploy it through Group Policy at work. Pretty pumped about that!

    If your virtual machine can't handle anything more, let me know, I have some older computers/rack mount servers you can borrow as another forest/domain. No charge, because that's how I roll. icon_cool.gif

    I've also have been assigning MSI's at work lately....works pretty slick...when you can get it to work icon_lol.gif
    WIP: CCENT/CCNA (.....probably)
  • genXrcistgenXrcist Member Posts: 531
    If your virtual machine can't handle anything more, let me know, I have some older computers/rack mount servers you can borrow as another forest/domain. No charge, because that's how I roll. icon_cool.gif

    I've also have been assigning MSI's at work lately....works pretty slick...when you can get it to work icon_lol.gif

    Thanks bro! That's really generous of you. :) I'll load Virtual PC onto my physical server this weekend and let you know if I run into limitations.

    The MSI worked like a hot knife through butter, no problem at all. I was running into problems when using the ZAP file but I think I know what I was doing wrong. I navigated to where the Setup.exe file was instead of just putting in the UNC. I was doing the same thing incorrectly when I was trying to assign the MSI install and found an article warning about that. Once I did that, voila, worked perfectly.

    Do you happen to know where we can download Adobe Flash, Reader and/or Java MSI installs from?
    1) CCNP Goal: by August 2012
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,314 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I think you need to contact Adobe for that: Adobe - Reader: Distribute free Adobe Reader
  • genXrcistgenXrcist Member Posts: 531
    Well gentlemen/ladies, it's time for Round 2. I spoke with my local testing center about my 2nd Shot attempt because there are zero open slots until July. They were kind enough to open up a slot for me but it's for this morning @ 1030am CST.

    I'm not as ready as I'd like to be but it's either give it a shot for free or pay for it in July so here goes nothing. :)
    1) CCNP Goal: by August 2012
  • bwcartybwcarty Member Posts: 422 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Good luck...I had to use my second shot on this one, too!
    Help eradicate blood cancers with a donation to the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society.
Sign In or Register to comment.