Options

Comparison, 1721 vs 2620XM?

cerberoscerberos Member Posts: 168
If you are having the chance to chose between the 1721 and the 2620XM, both 128MB Memory 32MB Flash each with wic-2t and both have the same price, which one ur going to get and why? What's the best of them that can fit till CCNP or any long term studying? if someone could give me a full comparison i would appreciate it a lot.

Comments

• Options
    blackninjablackninja Member Posts: 385
    cerberos wrote: »
    If you are having the chance to chose between the 1721 and the 2620XM, both 128MB Memory 32MB Flash each with wic-2t and both have the same price, which one ur going to get and why? What's the best of them that can fit till CCNP or any long term studying? if someone could give me a full comparison i would appreciate it a lot.

2620xm by a long way
    Currently studying:
    CCIE R&S - using INE workbooks & videos

Currently reading:
    Everything. Twice ;)
  • Options
    Thanks blackninja, seems the 2620XM is far better than the 1721... wish somebody will help me in buying my lab. Will the 2620XM need a ROM Upgrade to support 256MB of Memory and 48MB of Flash? To my knowledge, this is the maximum Memory and Flash this Router supports. Thanks In Advance...
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Check out some of the Cisco Portable Product Sheets
    Router Memory
    Router Performance
    NM/WIC/VWIC Compatibility
    IOS Packaging

And also compare the IOS versions and features using the Cisco IOS Feature Navigator to find what is available for each router.

The 2620XM is a rack mount router. The 1721 is a desk mount.

The 2620XM has an internal power supply and uses a standard computer electrical cable. The 1721 has a power brick.

The 2620XM has an NM Slot giving you more upgrade possibilities.

etc...

While I'd rather have a 2650XM than the 2620XM.... I'd definitely take the 2620XM over the 1721 if the price was right.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    cerberos wrote: »
    Will the 2620XM need a ROM Upgrade to support 256MB of Memory and 48MB of Flash?
    The note in the Router Memory pdf states
    26xxXM's shipped prior to April 2004 had a maximum DRAM capacity of 128MB. This was upped to 256MB through a bootROM which can be ordered separately for older 2600XM's, and requires 12.3(11)T IOS.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    mikej412 wrote: »
    While I'd rather have a 2650XM than the 2620XM.... I'd definitely take the 2620XM over the 1721 if the price was right.

This was the biggest factor for me, I happened to find a great deal on four 1721 routers for under $100. I spent about the same on RAM, and had four routers capable of running IOS version 12.4 with Advanced Enterprise Services. The way I looked at it, it was a relatively small amount of money for four routers that would do just about everything I needed for CCNP, in addition to getting me well into CCIE studies. Of course, if I find a good deal on some 2600XM series routers, I'll jump on it, but I thought it'd be wiser to spend my money on some layer-3 switches, some less expensive routers, and emulate anything I don't have.

The long and the short of it, go for the 2620XMs if you can find 'em for a good price. Consider 1721 routers as a fall-back if you find 'em cheap with maxed-out RAM. This will be especially important if you're considering moving forward towards the CCIE, which now uses IOS version 12.4T instead of the mainline, which isn't available with Advanced Enterprise Services for the 1721 series, but is available in other variants of the IOS. (I like to use the A.E.S. version; if it's good enough for the CCIE, it's good enough for the CCNP. icon_lol.gif )

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    Slowhand wrote: »
    The way I looked at it, it was a relatively small amount of money for four routers that would do just about everything I needed for CCNP, in addition to getting me well into CCIE studies.
    No MPLS on a 1700. No MPLS either on a 2600XM tho.
  • Options
    Well, this is a very useful link Mike, good on u mate! I'm gonna try the 2650XM if the price was affordable to me... Thx blackninja, Slowhand, tiersten and everybody who tried and tried not to answer my questions..icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    tiersten wrote: »

Well, they're good for most things, anyway. icon_lol.gif

That's what Dynamips and rack-rentals are for, the stuff your regular lab-equipment just can't do.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    Slowhand wrote: »
    Well, they're good for most things, anyway. icon_lol.gif

That's what Dynamips and rack-rentals are for, the stuff your regular lab-equipment just can't do.
    Yup. Dynamips, rack rentals or become the next Scott Morris with more gear than most ISPs in your basement ;)
  • Options
    seraphusseraphus Member Posts: 307

Doesn't an IOS with a telco feature set contain the needed MPLS features (for the 2600XMs)?
    Lab first, ask questions later
  • Options
    seraphus wrote: »
    Doesn't an IOS with a telco feature set contain the needed MPLS features (for the 2600XMs)?
    MPLS PE wasn't ever officially supported for the 2600XM. Some support did appear in some old versions but its long gone now.
  • Options
    MPLS PE wasn't ever officially supported for the 2600XM. Some support did appear in some old versions but its long gone now.
    I think the last few versions of 12.3 supported MPLS still if you've got AdvEnt...
  • Options
    kryollakryolla Member Posts: 785
    I think the last few versions of 12.3 supported MPLS still if you've got AdvEnt...

:) thats why I like 2600, I can use them to study IE SP track

Rack1SW3#sh ver | i IOS
    IOS (tm) C2600 Software (C2600-J1S3-M), Version 12.3(23), RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc5)
    Rack1SW3#conf t
    Enter configuration commands, one per line. End with CNTL/Z.
    Rack1SW3(config)#mpl
    Rack1SW3(config)#mpls ?
    atm Configure ATM options
    ip Dynamic MPLS forwarding for IP
    ipv6 Dynamic MPLS forwarding for IPv6
    label Label properties
    ldp Label Distribution Protocol
    traffic-eng Configure Traffic Engineering parameters

Rack1SW3(config)#mpls
    Studying for CCIE and drinking Home Brew