Options

CCNP BCMSN in comparison to ccda

sandman748sandman748 Member Posts: 104
I'm going to be taking the CCNP curriculum this fall through the network academy and I was wondering how the BCMSN component of CCNP will relate to taking the ccda exam.

The prerequisite for CCDA says CCNA and BCMSN knowledge. Is it safe to say that having the knowledge from the CCNP stuff will allow me to take the ccda or should I start studying for the CCDA on my own?
Working on CCIE Collaboration:
Written Exam Completed June 2015 ~ 100 hrs of study
Lab Exam Scheduled for Dec 2015

Comments

• Options
    UnixGeekUnixGeek Member Posts: 151
    It's been almost 3 years since I last renewed by CCDA, but based on how it was 3 and 9 years ago....

Many of the concepts will help, but there are design-specific considerations that just aren't discussed in the CCNP exams AFAIK. I think once you're at the CCNP level of knowledge, you *might* be able to slide by on that alone, if you're a fast reader. You'd be better off reading through one of Cisco's books on the topic first.
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    sandman748 wrote: »
    I was wondering how the BCMSN component of CCNP will relate to taking the ccda exam.
    It will make some of your studying for the CCDA that much easier. If you don't have the BCMSN Switching Knowledge you'll either not understand some of the CCDA material or you'll need to learn it while preparing for the DESGN exam.
    Is it safe to say that having the knowledge from the CCNP stuff will allow me to take the ccda or should I start studying for the CCDA on my own?

Look at the prerequisites for the CCDA the same way you look at the CCNA prerequisite for the CCNP -- it prepares you study for the CCNP exams, but just having the CCNA doesn't mean you know enough to pass the CCNP exams without studying for them.

The prerequisites for the CCDA will help you to understand some of the DESGN topics better. And Cisco Press likes to stuff the current Cisco design paradigms into the first few chapters of the CCNP certification books, so some of the DESGN material will seem familiar when you get there -- but you'll still need to read the suggested CCDA books to cover all the DESGN exam blueprint topics and stand a chance of passing the DESGN exam.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    tech-airmantech-airman Member Posts: 953
    sandman748,
    I'm going to be taking the CCNP curriculum this fall through the network academy and I was wondering how the BCMSN component of CCNP will relate to taking the ccda exam.

The purpose of the "BCMSN level knowledge" component of the prerequisite is to become familiar with BCMSN level Wireless knowledge.
    The prerequisite for CCDA says CCNA and BCMSN knowledge. Is it safe to say that having the knowledge from the CCNP stuff will allow me to take the ccda or should I start studying for the CCDA on my own?

As you may or may not know, the CCNA -> CCNP certificate progression is within the Routing & Switching specialization. As a CCDA certified individual, you'll have to be familiar with all four specializations of:
    1. Routing & Switching
    2. Security
    3. Unified Communications
    4. Wireless

So the "CCNP stuff" may help you understand the Routing & Switching specialization but you'll need to broaden your knowledge of Security and Unified Communications as well. Maybe it'll help to gain "CCNA Security", "CCNA Voice", and "CCNA Wireless" level knowledge to help with your breadth.

Does my post help?