Options

70-646 & 70-647 same day?

techster79techster79 Member Posts: 169 ■■■□□□□□□□
I just aced 70-649, and only have 646/647 left to be MCITP:SA/EA. I was skimming both books and looks like a good amount of overlap. I was curious if anyone who has taken both exams would recommend doing them on the same day. My testing center is over an hour away, so I could same time/money if I knocked them both out.
Studying for MCSE: Server Infrastructure (70-414 left)

Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Shouldn't be too bad, go for it!
  • Options
    stupidboystupidboy Member Posts: 470
    I took and passed 70-647 on Thursday, I am currently looking at doing the 70-646 exam this Wednesday (damn second shot ending has clogged up the local test centre and I can't get my normal Thursday appointment icon_rolleyes.gif).

I used the CBT Nuggets and MS Press Book for 70-647 and am reading the MS Press book for the 70-646 and can say book books are very similar.

In fact a college of mine took 70-647 on Monday (passed with a 700) and 70-646 on Tuesday (passed with a 780).

I think its doable if you like extreme test taking icon_wink.gif

Good luck and let us know how it goes.
  • Options
    I passed both tests, Monday the 27th. Made a 750 on 646 and a 700 on 647. I used MSPress for both tests and actually never got to the last two chapters in 647, I don't think I would have passed without previous W2K3 experience for some questions that weren't really covered much in the W2K8 material.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Congrats!

What's next?
  • Options
    Well I bought the MSPress 70-284 before I started the 2008 track, was kinda indecisive because of Windows 7 coming out and thought maybe 2008 would be here and then gone. Now that I look around a whole lot of jobs require MSCE + Exchange, plus it'd be nice to have the MCSE:S & M. I just wish there was more resources for 70-285 I've heard it's insane.
  • Options
    GAngelGAngel Member Posts: 708 ■■■■□□□□□□
    techster79 wrote: »
    Well I bought the MSPress 70-284 before I started the 2008 track, was kinda indecisive because of Windows 7 coming out and thought maybe 2008 would be here and then gone. Now that I look around a whole lot of jobs require MSCE + Exchange, plus it'd be nice to have the MCSE:S & M. I just wish there was more resources for 70-285 I've heard it's insane.

I'm actually a bit annoyed MS have nothing for the EA track. Just another money grab getting us to write three exams for 07 and no one in the industry having a clue what they are. Especially with 2010 hot on it's heels.
  • Options
    Tyrant1919Tyrant1919 Member Posts: 519 ■■■□□□□□□□
    647 and 646 should be cake the first day. Same exact material.

I decided not to take 646 because of the logic that if I have 647, what's the point of 646? Waste more of my time and money to get an extra thing in the mail? I'm at the point where I wouldn't even include SA on my resume.
    A+/N+/S+/L+/Svr+
    MCSA:03/08/12/16 MCSE:03s/EA08/Core Infra
    CCNA
  • Options
    Tyrant1919 wrote: »
    647 and 646 should be cake the first day. Same exact material.

I decided not to take 646 because of the logic that if I have 647, what's the point of 646? Waste more of my time and money to get an extra thing in the mail? I'm at the point where I wouldn't even include SA on my resume.

My employer reimburses my exam fees, so why not pick up both SA and EA. I still don't see HR clamoring for MCITP in many places. I do think they should have required a longer track than 1 for both EA/SA, 1 more for SA, and 2 more for EA. Maybe not the 7 or 8 that MCSE takes but something more difficult to acheive. There were no simulations like MCSE W2K3 tracks either.
  • Options
    stupidboystupidboy Member Posts: 470
    techster79 wrote: »
    My employer reimburses my exam fees, so why not pick up both SA and EA. I still don't see HR clamoring for MCITP in many places. I do think they should have required a longer track than 1 for both EA/SA, 1 more for SA, and 2 more for EA. Maybe not the 7 or 8 that MCSE takes but something more difficult to acheive. There were no simulations like MCSE W2K3 tracks either.

My company picks up the tab for me too, this makes it easy to decide my own path.

I thought there were a couple of areas in 646 that were not as deep in 647. I feel a little more rounded (not just because of all the cakes I have just eaten) by doing both exams.
  • Options
    mshilungamshilunga Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
    i will be doing this exam on the 7 but i have a good feeling for it
    once we’ve mastered the art of diligence, we can use it in any important area of our lives, in any endeavor or pursuit to achieve incredible outcomes.
  • Options
    dfosbennerdfosbenner Member Posts: 106
    I'm still at least a month away from 70-647. I'll be finishing the AD book this week, then on to Network. I've never had to prep for an exam with so much volume of material. The MS Kit is about 2,000 pages devoted to 640, 642, 643 that's covered on this test.
    MCTS
    MCITP: SA & EA
    MCSE: NT, 2000, 2003
    MCSA: 2000, 2003
  • Options
    GAngelGAngel Member Posts: 708 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I write the 647 in 24 hours then I can join the EA ranks and be done with MS certs for a bit.. The MS training book has been one of the most boring reads I've picked up all year. I'm just skimming chapters as there isn't a whole lot of info. It's too high level for the exam objectives in my opinion.

The 643 was probably the only exam I enjoyed from the EA track. The only one I actually learned anything from in reality.