Options

A+ Certified Technicians only!

DerekAustin26DerekAustin26 Member Posts: 275
So I've been A+ Certified for a little over 6 months now. I scored high on my test! 890

I studied hard for it too. Read 2 books and applied some of the labs and instructions given.

I work in a Network Operations Center dealing with networks and yes sometimes have to do some minor troubleshooting on my pc cuz pc's generally have their problems.

The thing is, when there is a pc issue, i dont seem to "quick" to resolve the software/hardware issue. I just dont really feel like a "Certified Tech" esp for scoring so high.

Anyone got any ideas I can do to sharpen up or to stay updated or whatever I need to do to become or feel more like a professional or someone who is confident at fixing PC issues?

Anyone else feel like this or know how i can overcome this?

Thanks,

Comments

• Options
    wweboywweboy Member Posts: 287 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Honestly I think your just being to hard on yourself, not everyone can quickly troubleshoot as fast as others. How much experience do you have under your belt? also how long have you been using computers and do you enjoy using them outside of work?

If you want more to check out the MCDST or Linux+ exams.
  • Options
    I got about 2 years of Desktop Support and yes I enjoy using pc's outside of work. I've never been a field services tech or anything.
  • Options
    gravyjoegravyjoe Member Posts: 260
    I believe what you're going through is actually normal. Getting the A+ is just the very beginning of the journey. There are SOOO many issues that can occur (especially on the PC side of things), and there's no way to know them all. I think of the A+ as something that helps you steer in the right direction, so you won't be totally clueless. At least you'll know, "Hey, I read about that before", or "Yeah, I seen that in the book before". Just my 2 cents.
    The biggest risk in life is not taking one.
  • Options
    Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    A+ is a toe in the door, there is SOO much to learn. And it will never stop.

One of the biggest lessons of my 4 year quest into IT is that you can never know enough. Most of the time it's about how you handle situations that are new to you, not the knowing so much.

What are your long term goals?

I'd like to hear you say you are tackling the MCDST and the CCENT over the next year. Both certification really lay the ground work for desktop support to start to move away from the phones.

Anyway, what I am saying is set your long term sites on Microsoft Certified Architect and the CCIE. Map out a reasonable plan, share it with us. You'll find everyoine here willing to help.
    -Daniel
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Keep studying and keep working. If you're working in a NOC, then moving on to something like the Network+, CCENT/CCNA, Linux+, MCSE/MCITP, etc. Pick a path, move forward, learn as much as you can. Only experience and further training/reading/hands-on labs will make you feel like you're experienced and build your confidence.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    PC509PC509 Member Posts: 804 ■■■■■■□□□□
    If you don't come back from work not learning something new, something is wrong or it was an extremely slow day. The A+ teaches you the basics. You are learning how to diagnose and troubleshoot every single day. Once you know how, you are as good as gold. That doesn't mean you know why or you know the solution. You just know how to get there.

People that claim to know everything are very stupid. You simply cannot know it all, and you learn daily. The skills you learn and build on are the skills to diagnose it. You follow the clues and symptoms to find out what is wrong. That's the hard part. The easy part is actually fixing it (replacing a part, fix the OS, etc.). The repair itself is well documented and easy to do. Finding out what needs to be repaired and the extent of the problem is harder.

The A+ started you down the path, but it won't teach you everything. If it did, it would most certainly have much more value on a resume. It's entry level.

Just NEVER stop learning. There is someone on this board that has a sig similar to my life mission statement: "The day you stop learning is the day you become obsolete" (Kudo's to who has that sig!). It's very true.

And, the Net+ is a good stepping stone to higher and better things, too. It will get you into the networking side of things, but like the A+, it is entry level. But, you're only as good as your foundation! :)

And I've seen 20 year+ vets not know the answer to things, and they've been repairing PC's for decades, old and new. Sometimes, it is something simple that they've overlooked again and again. Or it's something brand new that they haven't encountered yet.

But, in your case... You're building experience. I bet you $50 if I came in with a PC with a problem you've already have you'd fix it in no time flat. You learn from the difficult stuff. Next time you have the same problem, you know exactly how to fix it.
  • Options
    Exposure, experience, and repitition. Best advice I can give on it.
  • Options
    skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    Exposure, experience, and repitition. Best advice I can give on it.
    couldn't agree more. Over time, you'll see more and know more and be able to dip into that reservoir of knowledge.

what kind of things do you feel you're not solving fast enough?
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
  • Options
    JordusJordus Banned Posts: 336
    The title of this thread is kindve awry.

I dont have the A+ but i can guarantee you all i would have to do is sign up and walk in and i could have it. But i dont want it.

I had no issues solving problems but it took about 3 months of real-world experience to get comfortable enough to go with my gut the first time.
  • Options
    Yes, I appreciate it very much guys. I am currently working toward my CCENT/CCNA.
    At the moment, im taking a break from that and gonna try to get mY ITIL Cert real quick cuz I'm on a program that is paying for my school.

Thanks alot guys! Yes , the title of this chat should be "Experienced Technicians only" since there are alot more respected PC Certs than the "A+"

Appreciate everything! :)