Options

How to land into your 1st IT Job?

#snoop#snoop Banned Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
Recently I had been applying for my first IT job but never really heard from any companies or recruiters. Looking for any entry-level job in Washington DC area. I have a BS in computer science and have never worked in IT industry. It's been over 6 years since I graduated.

What would you advice me to do in order to get an interview call and convert it successfully into a job? I have been preparing for Network+ and also thinking of preparing for MCDST(may be that will land me somewhere). I had been running my businesses all these years and now want to get back to IT sector, but just can't break through.

Don't just read and ignore. Please write whatever you think I should do?
Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    #snoop wrote: »
    Recently I had been applying for my first IT job but never really heard from any companies or recruiters. Looking for any entry-level job in Washington DC area. I have a BS in computer science and have never worked in IT industry. It's been over 6 years since I graduated.

What would you advice me to do in order to get an interview call and convert it successfully into a job? I have been preparing for Network+ and also thinking of preparing for MCDST(may be that will land me somewhere). I had been running my businesses all these years and now want to get back to IT sector, but just can't break through.

Don't just read and ignore. Please write whatever you think I should do?
    Thanks!

I am by no means an expert, but I would say certs help. I am working on my certs and I would say that they have helped me alot. Go for certs. Also computer science is pretty broad, what are you trying to get into? with a BSinCOMPSCI I have seen people go into networking, some go into development, some go into research, and still some go into dba work.. What intrest you?
  • Options
    knwminus wrote: »
    What intrest you?

I am very interested in networks and security. Just need to get my foot in some door and then I can build up from there-on. But that's just not happening in this kind of economyicon_sad.gif
  • Options
    rsuttonrsutton Member Posts: 1,029 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Since you have a BS in CS you should be able to get en entry level job no problem. What positions have you been applying for? Help Desk/Tech Support jobs might get the ball rolling for you plus give you some experience. You could also work on certs in parellel to help your chances of landing a job.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    My strategy was to get in with a small business doing something else full-time and then take over the IT responsibilities. YMMV.

Good luck with your job search!
  • Options
    skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    what have you been doing work-wise since graduation? And have you spruced up your resume & cover letter? You can post them here if you'd like some feedback.
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
  • Options
    skrpune wrote: »
    what have you been doing work-wise since graduation?

As I have mentioned above, I have been running my business. To elaborate, I started teaching and then after gaining experience I started my own education business. Then in 2007 I moved to United States and started Financial Service business.
    And have you spruced up your resume & cover letter? You can post them here if you'd like some feedback.

I was thinking the same i.e to post my resume. May be I should pay monster $300 and get a professional resume made. That might help?

I am unable to upload the file. It says .doc file type invalid.
  • Options
    phantasmphantasm Member Posts: 995
    Do you know anyone in the IT business? It took me 5 yrs to land my first IT job. Between getting my A.S. and my first job I worked as a Com Tech for Comcast and later as an Analalyst. My break came when a guy I'd known for a few years left a job and the IT director needed someone to fill his spot. Personal networking. That landed me my first job which lasted 8 months and then I got laid off. I'm working on my second IT job and I'm a network technician for a national ISP.

It comes down to who you know, in my experience at least.
    "No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -Heraclitus
  • Options
    shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    Did you do any type of internship in college? I would try doing some networking...thats how i got my first job/internship. From there it was just going off my experience, knowledge, and being a good interviewee.
  • Options
    shednik wrote: »
    Did you do any type of internship in college? I would try doing some networking...thats how i got my first job/internship. From there it was just going off my experience, knowledge, and being a good interviewee.

I had been doing my business all these years and haven't done any internship. I have over 5 years of non-IT experience. Been applying for jobs with minimal salary as well but with no luck so far. I guess I should pay monster $300 and hope to get a job interview.

Anyone got the resume made from monster.com??? Is it worth $300?
  • Options
    phantasmphantasm Member Posts: 995
    I had been doing my business all these years and haven't done any internship. I have over 5 years of non-IT experience. Been applying for jobs with minimal salary as well but with no luck so far. I guess I should pay monster $300 and hope to get a job interview.

Anyone got the resume made from monster.com??? Is it worth $300?

I wouldn't pay anyone $300 to write me a resume. That's me though. I don't know you can't post a .doc on here, that's weird. Try posting as a .rtf instead?
    "No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -Heraclitus
  • Options
    KasorKasor Member Posts: 933 ■■■■□□□□□□
    First, target your resume with specific job and key experience.
    Second, continue to learn
    Third, move to different location if needed it.
    Kill All Suffer T "o" ReBorn
  • Options
    Kasor wrote: »
    First, target your resume with specific job and key experience.
    Second, continue to learn
    Third, move to different location if needed it.

Option 3rd is not very practical as I am married and it's hard to relocate to a new place.
  • Options
    phantasm wrote: »
    I wouldn't pay anyone $300 to write me a resume. That's me though. I don't know you can't post a .doc on here, that's weird. Try posting as a .rtf instead?

Attachment Key Filetype Max Filesize Max Width Max Height gif.gifgif 19.5 KB 620 480 jpe.gifjpe 19.5 KB 620 480 jpeg.gifjpeg 19.5 KB 620 480 jpg.gifjpg 97.7 KB - - png.gifpng 39.1 KB 620 480
    That's all it supports... Weird!!!
  • Options
    Attachment Key Filetype Max Filesize Max Width Max Height gif.gifgif 19.5 KB 620 480 jpe.gifjpe 19.5 KB 620 480 jpeg.gifjpeg 19.5 KB 620 480 jpg.gifjpg 97.7 KB - - png.gifpng 39.1 KB 620 480
    That's all it supports... Weird!!!

Only option left is posting a URL:)

Help Desk / Technical Support

Please check out the resume and let me know what changes can be made or you can edit it and send it to me, I would greatly appreciate the effort. Thanks in advance:)
  • Options
    Only option left is posting a URL:)

Help Desk / Technical Support

Please check out the resume and let me know what changes can be made or you can edit it and send it to me, I would greatly appreciate the effort. Thanks in advance:)

Common guys... I'd appreciate some feedback on my resume...!icon_bounce.gif
  • Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□

What I would do is redo the formatting all together. I mean I think it looks bad (no offense)

I think the mission statement throws me off:

Looking for the greatest opportunity to work as a technical support/helpdesk representative for a reputed company

I would strengthen it or get rid of it all together.

I would also shorten the resume down a tad and put the most important things in the top 1/3 of the resume. What do you want to portray yourself as?
  • Options
    knwminus wrote: »
    What I would do is redo the formatting all together. I mean I think it looks bad (no offense)

I have it formatted but when you put it up on craigslist, it automatically jumbles-up the format.
    I think the mission statement throws me off:

Looking for the greatest opportunity to work as a technical support/helpdesk representative for a reputed company

I would strengthen it or get rid of it all together.

I would also shorten the resume down a tad and put the most important things in the top 1/3 of the resume. What do you want to portray yourself as?

My work experience is totally "Off" the IT field so I'd rather start with my degree and other things which are IT related and then follow it up with work experience and all. Right?
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod

Not to be too harsh, but I think your resume is horrible. I'd start by reading over the resume dos and don'ts thread. There are so many things in there that I would change I don't even know where to start....

First off your profile section states " Quick learner with strong working knowledge of software, hardware, networking, operating systems, and security applications" and then a few lines down you have several of those items listed with basic knowledge/understanding. I'd try to keep it consistent as right now if I were reading this I'd think you were full of sh*t.

The experience section needs an overhaul as well. Try to be a little more descriptive in your bullets. Right now it reads like a basic list of job responsibilities but you want it to be more like a list of what you excelled at and how you did it. For example instead of "Installing and upgrading hardware/software peripherals" be a little more in depth about what software and if applicable how this helped the business.

This part really made me laugh "Security Clearance: Ability to obtain one". If you don't have a clearance then don't put anything.

I'm not trying to bash you here, but it needs A LOT of work.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    Not to be too harsh, but I think your resume is horrible. I'd start by reading over the resume dos and don'ts thread. There are so many things in there that I would change I don't even know where to start....

First off your profile section states " Quick learner with strong working knowledge of software, hardware, networking, operating systems, and security applications" and then a few lines down you have several of those items listed with basic knowledge/understanding. I'd try to keep it consistent as right now if I were reading this I'd think you were full of sh*t.

The experience section needs an overhaul as well. Try to be a little more descriptive in your bullets. Right now it reads like a basic list of job responsibilities but you want it to be more like a list of what you excelled at and how you did it. For example instead of "Installing and upgrading hardware/software peripherals" be a little more in depth about what software and if applicable how this helped the business.

This part really made me laugh "Security Clearance: Ability to obtain one". If you don't have a clearance then don't put anything.

I'm not trying to bash you here, but it needs A LOT of work.

Probably you are right ...!icon_sad.gif
  • Options
    cbigbrickcbigbrick Member Posts: 284
    Probably you are right ...!icon_sad.gif

You cannot get a security clearance with a "Green Card". You must be a US citizen to get a security clearance.

I will agree with other members that your resume need to be rewritten.
    And in conclusion your point was.....???

Don't get so upset...it's just ones and zeros.
  • Options
    cbigbrick wrote: »
    You cannot get a security clearance with a "Green Card". You must be a US citizen to get a security clearance.

FYI: One can get a security clearance on Green Card. But not Top Secret.
  • Options
    cbigbrickcbigbrick Member Posts: 284
    And in conclusion your point was.....???

Don't get so upset...it's just ones and zeros.
  • Options
    loxleynewloxleynew Member Posts: 405
    Honestly I didn't read all of your resume. It was pretty bad. I know it might be formatted differently in word than it is on craigslist so ill leave that alone.

Firstly put everything related to the job you are trying to get towards the top of the resume. For example put your education right after objective. Always put education first. This is your strongest point to trying to get an IT related job.

Secondly shorten up the responsibilities and change the word profile to something else like knowledge. Also shorten that up a little.

Every heard of the 15 second scan? It's real and accurate. They take a look at your resume for 15 seconds and if it's not appealing to their eyes they bypass it. Once they get the feel and it looks good, then they actually read further into everything. Don't be afraid to indent things and bold subject lines, even on craigslist.

Hope some of that helps. With your knowledge you should easily be able to find an entry level job.
  • Options
    remyforbes777remyforbes777 Member Posts: 499
    I think the first thing you should do is gauge your skill level. Where do you think you are knowledge wise? Have you been keeping up on current technology? Network + might not be necessary if you already have a good grasp on networking. Then you need to ask yourself what area of IT do you want to be in. Networking, Administration, programming? After you answer those questions then you can do
    Microsoft or Linux or both , administration wise
    Cisco for networking
    Web site building/application/ or database programming.
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    I didn't get a chance to see your resume before you took it down. Honestly, though, it's not hard to find some help with resume-writing. You can even pick up a decent piece of software for cheap.

The only recommendation I can give you, as a green card holder myself, is to leave it off your resume. There's absolutely no reason to mention it upfront unless special circumstances call for it. Bring the physical card to the HR director when you're hired or if asked to show it beforehand, but there's no need to advertise yourself as a non-citizen. It's not a fun thing, but many Americans are sensitive about immigration issues. I've been in workplaces where I've encountered "static" from coworkers and management, even as a legal alien.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    candycorncandycorn Member Posts: 52 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I would say, try to be as positive and energetic as possible. I've gone thru several different contracts (IT and non-IT), but finally landed a steady job with a small company in Seattle. I took a peek at my competition, and out of about 100 people chosen, I was picked because of my attitude. I only have a few minor certs, and no college experience. I was up against people with Masters, Bachelors, MCSE's, MCSA's, and much more. I was as honest as possible, and told my boss that education was key. I'm hoping to jump back to community college once I scrape up the money. With smaller companies, you get the chance to try different roles and play around with a little bit of everything. It helps to discover what niche you fit into....
    ITIL, CompTIA A+, CompTIA Healthcare IT Tech, MTA: Server Fundamentals, MCP, Apple Certified Associate, CIW Associate