Options

Which routers could I use for a Frame Relay switch?

BadBoy HouseBadBoy House Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
I'm eager to set up and play around with the config of Frame Relay and would like to get my hands on a router that will work as a frame relay switch.

Are the 2520/2522 series the only 2500 series routers that will let you do this or could you use say a 2503? Would I need to buy any additional modules for the 2503?

cheers guys

Comments

• Options
    miller811miller811 Member Posts: 897
    I purchased a 3640 router to be used as a frame relay switch while completing my CCNA. I had to purchase a NM-4AS to put in it, and also purchased 4 DTE DCE crossover cables.
    Have you tried dynamips or GNS3?
    I don't claim to be an expert, but I sure would like to become one someday.

Quest for 11K pages read in 2011
    Page Count total to date - 1283
  • Options
    Router hardware all the way for me m8 - not keen on sims or software for practice
  • Options
    blackninjablackninja Member Posts: 385
    I use the Cisco 2521, just as a frame relay switch. You may as well get one as they are so cheap now: CISCO 2521

You actualy get a better understanding of it when setting up the router as a frame switch.

Do not dismiss GNS3 it is not a sim it's virtual routers (just like what I'm using for my MCSA but I use VMWare workstation). They are real IOS, and after learning the program you can set up some great topologies. I had some softphones talking to each other the other day. It's just great to experiment with.
    Currently studying:
    CCIE R&S - using INE workbooks & videos

Currently reading:
    Everything. Twice ;)
  • Options
    how many serial interfaces does your 2521 have?

is there a recommended number of interfaces for a decent frame relay switch setup?
  • Options
    phantasmphantasm Member Posts: 995
    I use a 2620 with a 4 port serial WIC. Works like a charm.

HomeLab.jpg
    "No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -Heraclitus
  • Options
    blackninjablackninja Member Posts: 385

is there a recommended number of interfaces for a decent frame relay switch setup?

The Cisco 2521 has 4 serial interfaces, you need at least 3 interfaces (1 for each router) for a frame relay lab
    Currently studying:
    CCIE R&S - using INE workbooks & videos

Currently reading:
    Everything. Twice ;)
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■

Cisco 2500 Multiport Installation and Configuration Guide - Overview of the Router [Cisco 2500 Series Routers] - Cisco Systems

You're probably better off sticking with the Ethernet router versions like the 2520 and 2522 and getting a transceiver if necessary. The 2521 is Token Ring -- but still works fine if you don't mind the Token Ring.

The 2520 and 2521 have
    2 high-speed synchronous serial ports
    2 low-speed asynchronous/synchronous serial ports

The 2522 and 2523 (Token Ring) have
    2 high-speed synchronous serial ports
    8 low-speed asynchronous/synchronous serial ports

For the CCNA 4 ports will work fine. For the CCIE you might find a lab workbook scenario where you may need more for a scenario -- and you might want 8 or 10 ports so that you can configure any of your routers for frame relay without having to move cables. For an MPLS lab, even more ports may be useful.

You can always use multiple routers to build a compound frame relay switch -- CCIE Lab Preparation Resources - Internetwork Expert - Compound Frame Relay Switch

You can also use a tunnel interface over Ethernet (or Token Ring) when you build a compound frame relay switch.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    miller811miller811 Member Posts: 897
    Router hardware all the way for me m8 - not keen on sims or software for practice
    I guess you have never tried GNS3 or dynamips. It uses the actual IOS that routers use, so it does not work like a simulator.

I have close to 20 cisco devices in my home lab.
    4 switches, access point, about 15 routers.

Although it is great to use real hardware (and for most of the switching you will need switches) for router configuration, I prefer GNS3. It is easier to clear, easy to configure, does not heat up my office, or waste a ton of electricity. I actually configured an access server out of an old terminal server that added 16 additional serial ports to my PC, so I could console into each device at the same time. But I got sick and tired of moving cables for different topology and just landed on using GNS3 for most labs, and debugs.

Just my 2 cents
    I don't claim to be an expert, but I sure would like to become one someday.

Quest for 11K pages read in 2011
    Page Count total to date - 1283
  • Options
    pitviperpitviper Member Posts: 1,376 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I’m using an old 3640 as both my frame-relay switch and access server – Popped in 2 NM-4Ts and an NM-32A. Works great!
    CCNP:Collaboration, CCNP:R&S, CCNA:S, CCNA:V, CCNA, CCENT
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    I've got a 2610XM with a NM-8A/S as my FRS.

Check out the prices of a cheap 2600 and a NM-4A/S, NM-8A/S or NM-4T on eBay. They may be cheaper than the 2520/2521/2522/2523 due to inflated prices.
  • Options
    Any ideas why this router (CISCO 2521) is showing on the info that it only has 2 serial interfaces when in fact there are actually 4 serial interfaces?

Shouldn't it be showing 4 x serial interfaces??

Here's the info from the auction:

Cisco Internetwork Operating System Software
    IOS (tm) 3000 Bootstrap Software (IGS-RXBOOT), Version 10.2(8a), RELEASE SOFTWAR
    E (fc1)
    Copyright (c) 1986-1995 by cisco Systems, Inc.
    Compiled Tue 24-Oct-95 15:46 by mkamson
    Image text-base: 0x01020000, data-base: 0x00001000
    cisco 2521 (68030) processor (revision C) with 4092K/2048K bytes of memory.
    Processor board serial number 03869377 with hardware revision 00000002
    X.25 software, Version 2.0, NET2, BFE and GOSIP compliant.
    ISDN software, Version 1.0.
    1 Token Ring/IEEE 802.5 interface.
    2 Serial network interfaces.
    1 ISDN Basic Rate interface.
    32K bytes of non-volatile configuration memory.
    8192K bytes of processor board System flash (Read/Write)
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    Shouldn't it be showing 4 x serial interfaces??
    A 2521 should show the following interfaces:

1 Token Ring/IEEE 802.5 interface(s)
    2 Serial network interface(s)
    2 Low-speed serial(sync/async) network interface(s)
    1 ISDN Basic Rate interface(s)
    IOS (tm) 3000 Bootstrap Software (IGS-RXBOOT), Version 10.2(8a), RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)
    It is running RxBoot from the ROM and not IOS from flash. This might be why it isn't showing the 2 low speed interfaces. I don't have a 2521 so I can't test it.
  • Options
    does that indicate there''s something wrong with it? bad memory or chips?? i've messaged the seller but haven't heard anything yet.
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    IOS (tm) 3000 Bootstrap Software (IGS-RXBOOT), Version 10.2(8a), RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)
    Without seeing the full boot info, I'd guess there's no IOS on the flash (or config register is set for RXBOOT) and it's booted into the RXBOOT mode -- limited functionality IOS built into ROM.

That doesn't mean the other 2 serial ports don't work.... but you wouldn't know for sure.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    cheers. i'll probably give it a miss.