Options

SecureCRT or TeraTerm or Putty

Manuel_AManuel_A Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi all,

While waiting for my equipment to arrive, I am trying to decide on witch emulator to use.

I have Putty installed on my Vista Ultimate computer, for programming in C, and C++, UNIX, LINUX. I like the fact that, you can change the background color and text color in Putty.

I need some help. Which emulator should I use SecureCRT, TeraTerm, or Putty?

Can you add some screen shouts to support your answer?

Thank You

Manuel_A
2 x 3550s
7 x 3725s 256/128
1 x 2511

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I use SecureCRT right now because it was what was installed on my work laptop when I got it. I've used most of them at one time or another, and don't really have much of a preference. They all get the job done.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Putty works for me and I like that it's just a sole executable (aka portable).

I used to swear by SecureCRT, then WRQ Reflection, now I just stick with what's simple and works (and free!). :)
  • Options
    JavonRJavonR Member Posts: 245
    I'm a pretty big putty fan, I just like how the configuration menu's are set up. I feel it's very customizable.
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    SCRT is used in the CCIE lab. It also costs money.

Whatever one you use is whatever one you prefer. I personally use SCRT.
  • Options
    phantasmphantasm Member Posts: 995
    PuTTY is nice and portable, Secure CRT is nice as well. I use SCRT at work along with putty depending on what i'm doing. At home it's straight telnet or putty. mRemote is also a good choice if you can find a download.
    "No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -Heraclitus
  • Options
    shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    I used to use mRemote but it stores the database file in an app data folder and it never seemed to stick if I tried to change the settings. It's also a little buggy in my expereince.

SCRT is nice but not worth $100

Putty Connection Manager is my current choice..seems to run the best for my needs. Free is a big motivator!! :D
  • Options
    tiersten wrote: »
    SCRT is used in the CCIE lab. It also costs money.

Whatever one you use is whatever one you prefer. I personally use SCRT.

This is what I have read, that SecureCRT is used in the CCIE lab.

and What is used in the CCNA/CCNP Test’s?

SecureCRT has a 30 day trial, is the trial version a full version?
    2 x 3550s
    7 x 3725s 256/128
    1 x 2511
  • Options

SCRT is nice but not worth $100

I know and $129 if you Bundle with SecureFX what is SecureFX?

But I like the idea of the tabs, it’s worth a tryout.
    2 x 3550s
    7 x 3725s 256/128
    1 x 2511
  • Options
    cerberoscerberos Member Posts: 168
    Manuel_A, unless u wanna spend $129, go for Putty which it's free. You would need to spend this sum as part of ur LAB, unless ur an eye candy, but i don't think ur, seems ur a CLI geek, right?
  • Options
    Manuel_A wrote: »
    What is used in the CCNA/CCNP Test’s?
    The sim itself
    SecureCRT has a 30 day trial, is the trial version a full version?
    Yes
  • Options
    I know and $129 if you Bundle with SecureFX what is SecureFX?
    SFTP/FTP client.
    But I like the idea of the tabs, it’s worth a tryout.
    You can get tabbed Putty using mRemote I believe.
  • Options
    cerberos wrote: »
    Manuel_A, unless u wanna spend $129, go for Putty which it's free. You would need to spend this sum as part of ur LAB, unless ur an eye candy, but i don't think ur, seems ur a CLI geek, right?
    SecureCRT isn't just eye candy. It does have some nice features built into it which aren't in PuTTY.

As I said before, use whatever you like best. People have gotten by using HyperTerm (terrible BTW) and the basic telnet client before.
  • Options
    shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    SFTP/FTP client.

You can get tabbed Putty using mRemote I believe.

the Putty installer has an sftp client as well...putty connection manager is a tabbed version of putty with a list on the side...I like it better then mRemote.
  • Options
    SecureCRT isn't just eye candy. It does have some nice features built into it which aren't in PuTTY.

As I said before, use whatever you like best. People have gotten by using HyperTerm (terrible BTW) and the basic telnet client before.

I think SecureCRT is worth tacking out for a test drive.

Where is a good place to find more information on SecureCRT?

And yes I am a Command-Line geek, aren’t we all. I want something that will take whatever I throw at it, without balking. And I plan on throwing a lot at it, on my way to my CCIE.

From what I have read SecureCRT is what we will be using in the CCIE lab.
    2 x 3550s
    7 x 3725s 256/128
    1 x 2511
  • Options
    ULWizULWiz Member Posts: 722
    Putty Has my Vote
    CompTIA A+ Nov 25, 1997
    CompTIA Network+ March 7, 2008
    MCTS Vista 620 June 14, 2008
    MCP Server 290 Nov 15, 2008
    MCP Server 291 In Progress (Exam 12/28/09)
    Cisco CCENT In Progress
    MCP Server 291 In Progress
    C|EH In Progress
  • Options
    Where is a good place to find more information on SecureCRT?
    The VanDyke website since they're the authors.
    And yes I am a Command-Line geek, aren’t we all. I want something that will take whatever I throw at it, without balking. And I plan on throwing a lot at it, on my way to my CCIE.
    This is similar to your thread in the CCIE forum. You don't actually *need* to have SecureCRT. Just because they have it in the lab doesn't mean it is essential for you to have it as well. If you can use PuTTY/whatever then you'll be able to use SecureCRT. At the end of the day, it is what you're connecting to that is important and not the telnet/SSH/serial client itself.

I use SecureCRT because its reliable, has tabs and has scripting support. I used it before I started working with Cisco equipment and have continued to use it. I've also used PuTTY before found it to be fine. For servers, I don't see the point of paying for a SecureCRT license and just use PuTTY.
  • Options
    PashPash Member Posts: 1,600 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I am gonna not go with the trend of above and say teraterm.

Used it for 2 years, works well.
    DevOps Engineer and Security Champion. https://blog.pash.by - I am trying to find my writing style, so please bear with me.
  • Options
    mensmens Member Posts: 69 ■■■□□□□□□□
    For Tera Term, use this download link:
    Tera Term: Summary - SourceForge.JP
    First hit on a google search takes you to a 1999 version of it :)

Tera Term 4 prez!
  • Options
    cerberoscerberos Member Posts: 168
    Hate to disagree... SecureCRT is a reliable package hence the $129, however, I would spend this sum on a 2620XM or any other device I think I'll need in any future study till the CCIE, Pix Firewall ( Security) 3550, 3560... if we think about the future? Believe me, way to CCNP, CCIE will exhaust ur pocket enough, u better preserve it, and never look at it as it's full right now. TeraTerm, Putty will get the whole job done. Still nobody can deny u from going to SecureCRT. I put in plans to donate for those good guys who make Putty and TeraTerm, they make a lot of efforts to make those things free, and we don't notice them.
  • Options
    kryollakryolla Member Posts: 785
    I use hyperterm at home and procomm at work so I can write scripts when I do projects sort of like expect. I've used SCRT and putty, there all the same for telnet app, but whatever is on the computer is what I use
    Studying for CCIE and drinking Home Brew
  • Options
    apd123apd123 Member Posts: 171
    kryolla wrote: »
    I use hyperterm at home and procomm at work so I can write scripts when I do projects sort of like expect. I've used SCRT and putty, there all the same for telnet app, but whatever is on the computer is what I use

I have used hyperterminal because I was too lazy to put anything else on the machine, but I would never admit it. Wait oops. Also hyperterminal is probably the worst app I have ever used by choice on a regular basis. In reference to secure crt on the lab the version you will download today is much newer than the one on the lab so don't expert a 1 to 1 match. I should have checked the exact version once I realized I was bombing my SP lab.
  • Options
    captobviouscaptobvious Member Posts: 648
    If you are looking for something tabbed and free, try Putty connection manager.