Options

640-553 study material

adeeteeadeetee Member Posts: 79 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hey Guys!

So, here I am again with more questions on how to prepare n what material to use for CCNA Security exam..

What I have so far is two 1710 routers for SDM practice.. (=) I know they are old.. but they are free to me so who cares.. )

For study material, I have Cisco Press study guide by Watkins & Wallace, & CBT Nuggets by Jeremy Cioara..

I have started with the nuggets.. I was lost until 3-4 videos.. but feeling a little better after reaching 7th..

Question is : Is preparing through CBT Nuggets only is enough or one should go through multiple resources for Security exam? (Please know that I understand that there's no fast pass to success, but if the material is redundant, I would rather listen to Jeremy 4 times than of going through different material)

2nd Question : Compared to ICND1 & ICND2, how difficult is Security exam? (just trying to figure out how much should I devote on the preparation.)

Although, my plans are to give the exam end of July.. lets see if I can stick to that.. ( have a vacation planned for July 4rth..)

Alright, thats it for questions for now..

Thanks!!
Wish List :
CISSP...

Comments

• Options
    Perhaps not many people are taking the security exam..
    66 views and not even a single response... ouch!
    Wish List :
    CISSP...
  • Options
    wastedtimewastedtime Member Posts: 586 ■■■■□□□□□□
    adeetee wrote: »
    Perhaps not many people are taking the security exam..
    66 views and not even a single response... ouch!

It is a relatively new exam and a specialization not a main line one like CCNA, CCNP. That being said I fully plan on taking this exam but I am going to finish CCNA Voice first. When I study for it I plan on using some lab equipment I have, The Official Exam certification Guide from Cisco Press, and CBT Nuggets.
  • Options
    abhustlerabhustler Member Posts: 49 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I passed the CCNA Security with a 977 and I read the Cisco Press CCNA Security book, watched Nugget and Transcenders. By far the most useful of the three was the Nugget videos. You may want to read the Cisco Press book if you have the chance but trascenders didn't offer anything useful that wasn't already on the Nugget videos
    A master at anything was once a beginner
  • Options
    abhustler wrote: »
    I passed the CCNA Security with a 977 and I read the Cisco Press CCNA Security book, watched Nugget and Transcenders. By far the most useful of the three was the Nugget videos. You may want to read the Cisco Press book if you have the chance but trascenders didn't offer anything useful that wasn't already on the Nugget videos

hmm.. this definitely sounds helpful... I had read everywhere that CBTnuggets are the best resource for security.. so was just trying to save time if other course material don't have anything new to offer.

How much time did you devote in preparing for the exam? How do you rate it compared to icnd1 & 2...
    Wish List :
    CISSP...
  • Options
    pitviperpitviper Member Posts: 1,376 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I’m going to pencil this one in next – I’ve already read through the zone based firewall and VPN sections – Needed to brush up for some ISR installations. Just a quick diversion and then back to call manager chaos! I picked up the Cisco Press book, will be purchasing the CBTs. Lab should be fine (2800s and 3550s), and I have access to ASAs and PIXs (not that they will be necessary). Anything that I’m missing?
    CCNP:Collaboration, CCNP:R&S, CCNA:S, CCNA:V, CCNA, CCENT
  • Options
    NightShade03NightShade03 Member Posts: 1,383 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I'm also studying for this one (hoping to take it very soon). So far I have watched all CBT nuggets and I must say Jeremy does a great job covering all the material and hits all the points of the exam blueprint head on. I have also picked up and read the CCNA Security Exam Cram book. I have always used the exam cram books for tests so far and I find that they are great for reviewing material, the downfall to them is they don't go much into theory and sometimes don't cover certiain topics but I think that they are still good as supplimentaly material. Also read the Cisco Press book thought it was a much easier read then CCNA Cisco Press books.
  • Options
    I'm also studying for this one (hoping to take it very soon). So far I have watched all CBT nuggets and I must say Jeremy does a great job covering all the material and hits all the points of the exam blueprint head on. I have also picked up and read the CCNA Security Exam Cram book. I have always used the exam cram books for tests so far and I find that they are great for reviewing material, the downfall to them is they don't go much into theory and sometimes don't cover certiain topics but I think that they are still good as supplimentaly material. Also read the Cisco Press book thought it was a much easier read then CCNA Cisco Press books.

That's pretty much the material I have... Have finished CBT nuggets once.. and on my second round right now... I usually go thru material once and then do hands on on the second review.. Hope to take this exam soon n pass icon_wink.gif
    Wish List :
    CISSP...
  • Options
    NightShade03NightShade03 Member Posts: 1,383 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I think that material is very intersting which makes it much easier to study for. I don't think that it is very hard either there is just sooo much of it. But if there wasn't alot....then it wouldn't be cisco icon_wink.gif

I'll also say this...if you want a slight change of pace for an easy cert after this exam take the Security+ (2008 edition). 85% of the objectives listed in the blueprint are all things covered on this cisco exam.