Few questions about RHCE exam

amlifeamlife Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello I have few questions about the exam, I would appropriate your input.

1. am I going to be able to use yum in the exam? as far as I know yum is locked in RH5 and I would have to put access code to unlock RHN plugin? will exam instructors going to provide me with registration code?

2. can I use gui utilities to mange samba "system-config-samba" shares and "SElinux system-config-selinux"?

3. For SMTP section, I'm more familiar with postfix, am I still required to configure sendmail?

Thank you

Comments

• rossonieri#1rossonieri#1 Member Posts: 799 ■■■□□□□□□□
    hi,

nice questions btw - but unfortunately it will be againts the NDA to answer those.

i'm sorry - not to be rude, my tip is whether you'll be using yum or any other update method - and the rest of your questions, just study them well and be prepared :)

good luck :)
    the More I know, that is more and More I dont know.
  • amlifeamlife Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    What do you mean by NDA?
  • astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    amlife wrote: »
    What do you mean by NDA?
    The Non-Disclosure Agreement you are required to sign prior to taking any certification tests from Red Hat.
  • darkerosxxdarkerosxx Banned Posts: 1,343
    as far as I know yum is locked in RH5 and I would have to put access code to unlock RHN plugin?

2. can I use gui utilities to mange samba "system-config-samba" shares and "SElinux system-config-selinux"?

3. For SMTP section, I'm more familiar with postfix, am I still required to configure sendmail?

Thank you

To answer the non-nda-information-related parts of your questions:

1.) YUM is not locked by anything. The RHN repository is only accessible through YUM via a RH subscription, however.

2.) There is a gui package for samba and selinux, yes.

3.) If you wanted to set up a mail server, you could use either postfix or sendmail.
    so in other words if I have questions I should keep it to myself, or wait till I go to the exam and spent $799 to find out?

Hands down icon_sad.gif
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    You can't ask specific questions about the content. Have you looked at this yet?

redhat.com | RHCE Prep Guide
  • astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    so in other words if I have questions I should keep it to myself, or wait till I go to the exam and spent $799 to find out?
    No you should totally feel free to ask them, just be aware that people may or may not be able to answer them.

Have you had a chance to review the exam objectives for the RHCT/RHCE? If you had specific questions about the items beyond the detail listed on that page people would either have to guess (those who haven't taken the exam) or would be not allowed to answer (those who have taken it).

I appreciate your situation ($800 for a test is a lot) but unfortunately you'll pretty much just have to go for it when you think you're ready. Since it is a lab based test I'm not sure how well the few practice tests/assessments that are available are really going to help you gauge your readiness.

I definitely want to wish you good luck though! :D
    thank you all for your reply

I think I'm ready for the test, I have been studying very hard for this.

I work in IT department here in Toronto, Next available exam date will be on July 10th. I have been spending about 2 -3 hours daily for the past 2 months studying book I found online and linux cbt from linuxcbt.com

I have emailed redhat training staff with similar questions as the ones I posted in this forum they replied with link to the preparation guide! that is all
  • rossonieri#1rossonieri#1 Member Posts: 799 ■■■□□□□□□□
    amlife,
    I think I'm ready for the test, I have been studying very hard for this.

i think if you familiar enough with the exam material - then it will help you a lot to get relax, and do the test in comfort :)

good luck once again :)
    the More I know, that is more and More I dont know.
    Don't "think" you're ready. Test yourself by seeing if you can set up everything that's in the prep guide without using a book.
    yeah, that is what I'm spending all my time on, without a book, I guess in some topics I went beyond what the exam guide asked me to do configuring dhcp and master dns server, mysql.

However I will spend all my weekend working on doing everything in the guide without looking at the book or any notes.
    Good luck to you!
  • TherhinoTherhino Member Posts: 122
    you could always do a quick local repo if by chance you don't have access to a yum repo