Options

CCNA Home Lab

jnwdmbjnwdmb Member Posts: 99 ■■□□□□□□□□
I would like to set up a home lab while studying for my CCNA. I understand that there is a FAQ and yes, I have read the home lab threads. I know that the exam has changed since 2006, which is when the majority of those posts were made. What is a reasonable, cost effective equipment wishlist for passing the newest version of the exam? For example is a 2590 switch still as relevant as 3 years ago or have things changed? What routers will perform all of the things needed for the latest exam and how many do I need? Are all of the labs still relevant? I know that these are elementary level questions for some of you, but I am really overwhelmed with all the info and just want to make the best decision. I am not walking in off the street, but never faced this many options when acquiring my MCSE. Any help would be appreciated.......
A+ IT Technician, Network +, Security+
MCSA:M, MCSE:S
(MS 270,290,291,293,294,298,299)
MS Exchange 2003 (70-284)
MCTS: Server 2K8 Virtualization(70-652 & 70-403)

Comments

• Options
    astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Do you want the equipment to last into future studies (e.g. CCNP) or are you planning on reselling it on eBay after the CCNA (or something like that)?
  • Options
    I apologize, I should of mentioned this in my original post.....I plan on keeping the equipment for future studies, but still need to spend wisely. If I have to buy new stuff in the future for more advanced certifications then that's fine. I am on a fairly tight budget at the moment. Hopefully the CCNA will open more doors (and wallets) to allow me to afford better stuff in the future.
  • Options
    cerberoscerberos Member Posts: 168
    Hello jnwdmb, if this is ur plan, buying equipments that fit until futur studies, then thats a good idea. For Switches u'll need the 2950 Series, but if u want ur switches to live longer with u, u might consider 2950T, 2950G or the 2950C, they all come with the EI (Enhanced Image) which able to do advanced QoS, rate limiting, security filters, and multicast management to the network edge....alot of cool things. You can check the CCNA FAQs on alot of useful posts, and u can also check this link http://www.techexams.net/forums/ccna-ccent/44234-alternative-switches-2950-a.html, made by Tiersten, he did sum up almost everything.

On the Routers part, u need to consider the 26xxXM, feel free to ask.
  • Options
    Thanks for the info........any and all input/opinions are welcome

I take it that I should be shopping for 2 routers and 2 switch's (from the different kits I have seen advertised form cisco kits and the like...)?

I have browsed around and came across this:
    http://www.****/catalog/item/6920502/6885152.htm

Is this a decent setup? It is within my price range and convenient that I could purchase all at once from one place without having to wait for auctions to end, ect...... or would you recommend an upgrade for it in any way?

Sorry if i sound naive, I just want to make sure I seek advice from someone more familiar than me with the equipment. I am anxious to get started.......
  • Options
    For CCNA or any futur certification from Cisco, keep away from the 1900, 2900, u need the 2950 and would be better if it supports the Enhacned Image out of the box, example : 2950G, 2950T or 2950C, all of them support the EI, check out this Cisco Link Cisco Catalyst 2950 Series Switches Models - Cisco Systems.

I don't see any Frame Relay, try to make it reach $400 if u can and go with Ebay, it's cheaper and u don't have always to Bid, there are alot of offers with Buy It Now. U might consider older switches only, like the one in the link u pasted, for spanning ur LAB, not replacing ur core switches.
  • Options
    phantasmphantasm Member Posts: 995
    Here's what I have for a home lab. I've accumulated the equipment over a few years. It would be expensive to buy it all at once.

HomeLab.jpg
    "No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -Heraclitus
  • Options
    My shopping list is shaping up as this:

One Enhanced Image 2950 Switch (2950G, 2950T, or 2950C)
    One Standard Image 2950 Switch
    Two 26_ _XM Routers
    One Router Configured as a Frame Relay (2500 perhaps?)

How does this sound to everyone? Should I be concerned with a certain version of IOS, or is it irrelevant?

Any suggested changes to my list? And what would you expect to pay for these items as a whole?
  • Options
    jnwdmb wrote: »
    My shopping list is shaping up as this:

One Enhanced Image 2950 Switch (2950G, 2950T, or 2950C)
    One Standard Image 2950 Switch
    Two 26_ _XM Routers
    One Router Configured as a Frame Relay (2500 perhaps?)

How does this sound to everyone? Should I be concerned with a certain version of IOS, or is it irrelevant?

Any suggested changes to my list? And what would you expect to pay for these items as a whole?
    It sounds too good, but If I were u I wouldn't mind the Standard Image, most of time EI and SI are same price on eBay, so why minding the SI? And yes, the 2500 Series can do a good Frame Relay, but try to get it 16MB Memory 16MB Flash the most u can, it's price is down...Don't forget also to buy enough backtoback Serial cables for ur Frame Relay and backtoback Routers....I think they can start from $300 and up, depends on ur chance...Goodluck...
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    cerberos wrote: »
    I think they can start from $300 and up, depends on ur chance...
    What costs $300 and up? Nothing you listed would cost that much.
  • Options
    2 2620XM with enough memory and flash with wic-2t or even wic-1t, and 2 2950G,T,C won't cost $300? If that's the case pls paste me some links, If not then u were suppose to explain better and we would listen and discuss, it would sounds better, I don't mind to listen but u embarrass me that's all... I'm waitting for the links, not dead pieces and with warranty pls, Bidding or BuyItNow I don't care.
  • Options
    2 2620XM with enough memory and flash with wic-2t or even wic-1t, and 2 2950G,T,C won't cost $300? If that's the case pls paste me some links, If not then u were suppose to explain better and we would listen and discuss, it would sounds better, I don't mind to listen but u embarrass me that's all... I'm waitting for the links, not dead pieces and with warranty pls, Bidding or BuyItNow I don't care.
    You never said it would be a bundle that cost $300. You don't need to buy a 2620XM. The extra performance over a 2610XM isn't needed in a lab.

You don't get a warranty if you're buying a complete lab. The seller will do basic testing but anything else you're on your own. Paypal will cover DOAs and early failure anyway.

2620XM inc ISDN WIC for $31.00

2620XM for $19.99

128MB 2600XM DRAM for $13.50 each. $27.00 in total for 2.

32MB 2600XM Flash for $18.95 each. $37.90 in total for 2.

WIC-1T for $11.00

WIC-1T for $19.99. Even comes with a spare 2610.

2950 EI for $59.99

2950 EI for $40.00

Total is $246.87 excluding postage. These are all auctions which very recently completed. You get an extra 2610 and an ISDN WIC. It'd be cheaper if you got 2610XMs as well.
  • Options
    jnwdmb wrote: »
    I apologize, I should of mentioned this in my original post.....I plan on keeping the equipment for future studies.

That's his plan anyway, and these links u pasted was some chances, not the average things he can finds most of the times, that's y I put this $300 and up with shipping and eveything, would fit with him until even CCIE with some minor upgrades. Forgot to mention the 2500 Series, this was included with the $300, not a big deal. Facts exist more than chances Tiersten...But still I would go with the 2620XM or even the 2650XM if i can afford the money..
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Don't forget also to buy enough backtoback Serial cables for ur Frame Relay and backtoback Routers....I think they can start from $300 and up, depends on ur chance.
    The way you run all your sentences run together it sounded like you were saying the the Serial cables for the Frame Relay and backtoback Routers costs $300.

I think the only person here who would understand what you meant is itdaddy icon_lol.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    That's his plan anyway, and these links u pasted was some chances, not the average things he can finds most of the times
    If you search for completed auctions, you'll find many that are roughly the same price as what I listed. I ignored auctions which weren't tested, didn't say it was working or didn't actually complete. You said $300 with chance as well.
    Forgot to mention the 2500 Series, this was included with the $300, not a big deal.
    A 2500 goes for about $10.
    But still I would go with the 2620XM or even the 2650XM if i can afford the money..
    The extra performance won't be of any use in a lab but its your money at the end of the day. A 2610XM will work just as well as a 2620XM or 2650XM. Getting a 2 FE router instead of a 1 FE router however does have some benefits.
  • Options
    Just act enough Mike, world are too narrow and I'm gonna catch u soon, u know that if u got a child he would understand wat I'm saying, but anyway I won't argue on this icon_tongue.gif.

Tiersten, when I mention $300 this wasn't chances on Ebay but it was facts... $10 we can go to drink some Pepsi, unless the router will be used as a money saver ( If u just opened it and save coins inside) icon_lol.gif, or it will be a theft! Everybody knows that this is quite unfair, I wouldn't to get such an equipment for this price, I fear God.

The extra performance won't be of any use in a lab...... I agree, but let's face it, a decent router, or switch, on Ebay has an average rate, u can get a 2920XM same price as 2610XM, 2600, 2621XM so why not get the highest? At least, If i decided to sell it oneday to get a higher end device, I wont lose much, maybe I can sell it same price if the Buyer saw that it has max Memory, Flash, higher Model, 2 FastEthernet bla bla bla.... Aside from that when u gave a price u gave it for $246.87 excluding postage, It's too near thought, and u didn't add the 2500 Series either! also, how were u that exact in price that u added it in Cents even!? I guess that's too much, a way to create just objections which doesn't exist...

Anyway hate to argue much Mike, Tiersten have a nice time guys, but I'm gonna monitor Mike enough to catch him unaware, watch it guys it's comming soon, or i can be satisfied with one of his switches or routers as apologizing icon_mike.gificon_tongue.gificon_tongue.gif...
  • Options
    Thanks cerberos, unfortunately I just missed it.......my daughter was keeping me busy!
  • Options
    Spending good times with ur kids worth all Cisco equipments, may God bless them, better chances in the way...
  • Options
    aminotaaminota Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    tiersten wrote: »

Btw,
    Do you need BOOT-2600XM-256= in order to use MEM2600XM-128D=?
  • Options
    aminota wrote: »
    Do you need BOOT-2600XM-256= in order to use MEM2600XM-128D=?
    If you only have the single 128MB DIMM in the router with the second slot empty then no. If you want > 128MB in the router then you need the new 12.2(8r) boot ROM and 12.3.11T IOS or later.
  • Options
    KaminskyKaminsky Member Posts: 1,235
    tiersten wrote: »
    You never said it would be a bundle that cost $300. You don't need to buy a 2620XM. The extra performance over a 2610XM isn't needed in a lab.

You don't get a warranty if you're buying a complete lab. The seller will do basic testing but anything else you're on your own. Paypal will cover DOAs and early failure anyway.

2620XM inc ISDN WIC for $31.00

2620XM for $19.99

32MB 2600XM Flash for $18.95 each. $37.90 in total for 2.

WIC-1T for $11.00

WIC-1T for $19.99. Even comes with a spare 2610.

2950 EI for $59.99

2950 EI for $40.00

Total is $246.87 excluding postage. These are all auctions which very recently completed. You get an extra 2610 and an ISDN WIC. It'd be cheaper if you got 2610XMs as well.

Arg ! I thought I had succefuly weened myself away from watching ebay to add to my home lab... That's got me twitching again.

m u s t ... . r e s i s t .... !
    Kam.
  • Options
    Alright guys......Thanks to all the info I have accumulated I have began purchasing my lab. I have already bought a couple routers and a couple switches, as well as a 8U skeletek rack off of ebay. I have been advised from a CCNP buddy of mine to purchase a cheap 2505 router and a frame relay router to add to what i already have.

My question for you guys is how necessary is a frame relay setup for just the CCNA? My friend was very helpful with his suggestions and helping me shop for things, but I see all these kits advertised that have far less equipment than what I am looking at (ciscokits and others sell them) and they dont include a frame relay router, despite advertising that they have everything you need to pass your exam.......

even if I buy the 2505 and the 2610 (FR) router I have on my watch list at the moment I will still be below the $500 I set aside for my lab, which is good, but I only have about $300 into it now and that is only that high because I bought the skeletek rack for $135 brand new. I am anxious to get going with everything, but saving $200 or so when its not needed is foolish.......thoughts? Thanks again to all who helped me with this process.

One last thing....at what point would you guys recommend a terminal server? (my buddy suggested starting to shop around for a 2509 model). Once again, I appreciate his help but I think he might be providing a bit of overkill.....but i know that you guys will help me sort all of this out
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Why do you want a 2505? Also price 2520s for FR. I might have one I can part with actually.

I have a 2511 access server, and I love it. I'd definitely look into one if you're interested in rounding out your lab. Keep in mind that you'll only be able to connect to 8 devices with the 2509; you may outgrow that if you go on to more advanced studies. The 2511 will do 16.
  • Options
    Does that mean that I will need a frame relay router setup for my CCNA studies? Or is it just a suggestion for more advanced labs?

the 2505 was just from the suggestion of my friend.....he said that it could be used as the 3rd router since i have already purchased two higher quality routers for my lab.

I was aware of the 8 device limitation on the 2610, but until I am certain that I will be moving ahead with more advanced certs in the future I wanted to keep my budget down and more reasonable......I can always upgrade/replace when I am 100% sure where i want my home lab to take me. Right now I just want to get focused on my CCNA and get my feet wet with Cisco. I thought about just buying a simulator, but I am a hands on type of person and wanted to learn everything the "right" way.....worst case scenario means that I resell my lab on ebay when I am done
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Yea, you get into frame relay in ICND2. You could also buy a router that has a dynamips/dynagen-compatible IOS image and copy that over to get more routers running with that. You don't need an access server; it just saves you from having to move console cables around.