Options

Alternative switches to the 2950?

BadBoy HouseBadBoy House Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
I'm ok for switches for my lab but I also want a switch. I understand the 2950 is the one to get but these are fairly dear on eBay.

Are there any alternatives to the 2950 that offer similar functionality that will be good after my ccna for the ccnp as well or is it best just to stick with a 2950 and be done with it?

Comments

• Options
    astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    The 2950 will be the most cost-effective choice right now.
  • Options
    I've just been reading through the other threads on switches and it's quite clear that the 2950 is the one to have.

Decision made.
  • Options
    cerberoscerberos Member Posts: 168
    I'm ok for switches for my lab but I also want a switch. I understand the 2950 is the one to get but these are fairly dear on eBay.

Are there any alternatives to the 2950 that offer similar functionality that will be good after my ccna for the ccnp as well or is it best just to stick with a 2950 and be done with it?

You can't get lower than that for ur core switches, u might consider the 2924 only for spanning ur LAB (they are too cheap on ebay), unless u wanna go for the 2960 which is dearer.
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    1900 = Boat anchor or door stop.
    2900XL = 3rd L2 switch in your lab. Not to be used as your main 2 switches. Not ideal for CCNA.
    3500XL = 3rd L2 switch in your lab. Not to be used as your main 2 switches. Not ideal for CCNA.
    2950 = Cheapest good L2 switch for CCNA. Not actually sold any more.
    2960 = Current model L2 switch for CCNA. A 2950 will be enough for CCNA however.
    3550 = Cheapest good L3 switch for CCNP. Not actually sold any more.
    3560 = Current model L3 switch for CCNP. A 3550 will be enough for CCNP however.

Anything else is either too expensive + not needed or too old & too obsolete.

The 2950 comes in two different software configurations. SI = Standard Image and EI = Enhanced Image. You CAN'T swap between the two at a later date unlike the newer/bigger switches as there is an actual hardware difference. Ideally you want at least 1 EI switch in your CCNA lab but it isn't essential.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    That switches-in-a-nutshell post needs to get added to the CCNA FAQ. Great info.
  • Options
    cerberoscerberos Member Posts: 168
    dynamik wrote: »
    That switches-in-a-nutshell post needs to get added to the CCNA FAQ. Great info.

YupYup, that's a nice Post Tiersten...CCNA FAQs.
  • Options
    great stuff. cheers for the advice fellas.