Options

Study and Motivation

noel123ienoel123ie Member Posts: 67 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi all

Just wondering how many hours those of you are studying are spending hard at it these long Summer days?

I try and do 2-3 hours per day but hard very hard

So looking for some motivation and ideas of how many hours ye put in

Thanks
Noel

Comments

• Options
    mrmcmintmrmcmint Member Posts: 492 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I love cars - seeing all these lambos and ferraris driving around does it for me! especially with roofs down :D
    Gives me something to work towards... even if i never get there.
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    I've been putting in a lot of hours, sometimes up to 8 hours a day, but that's only because I'm studying for a lot of things, not just certs. My regularly-scheduled study-time during any given day is usually about two hours, with some breaks here and there to do fun things after work or on the weekends, otherwise I'd go insane.

Currently, I'm working on polishing off the last of my MCSE studies, (70-293, 70-294, and 70-298,) I just need to make a one-to-two-week "last push" for each once I have the cash to sit for them. After that, 70-649, and then 70-647 to get the Server 2008 studied for, tested on, and out of the way before I try my best to get back into my CCNP studies before the end of the year. I'm also doing some review-work of my (rusty) algebra and trig classes from many moons ago, as I'm already signed up to start calculus in the fall, getting back to my computer science & electrical engineering degree-pursuit. On top of that, there are a lot of other books to read, both for work and otherwise, as well as a few other things I need to keep up with, like my workout regiment.

The trick to staying motivated, for me, comes in three parts.

1) I find my initial reason(s) for studying. In this case, it happens to be that I want to fund my journey through college, so I'm keeping up with the IT work and certs in order to keep away from having to flip burgers or sling coffee as I beg/borrow/steal my way through school. Having a passion for all things IT also helps, by all means, especially when it means I not only get to work with things I enjoy, but that work is a stepping-stone to the kind of work I want to spend my life doing.

2) I find ways to study that keep me going. Changing things up, like studying the math on some days and the Microsoft stuff on others keeps me from getting too bored or feel like I'm stuck in a rut. I also like to go out to places where I feel inspired to work, like a college campus coffee shop, a local bookstore, or just someplace where I feel like I'm not just stuck behind a desk slogging away. Taking breaks here and there also helps, like taking a weekend off to blow off some steam or go and spend time with my girlfriend. Breaking up the monotony is as important as chugging your way through it, sometimes. (This is especially true when you have bright, sunny days right outside your window: don't let too many of them get away without spending some time outside having fun.)

3) The third way I keep myself going is to produce some results. Just like with school and getting grades at the end of every semester, going out for exams gives you feedback on how much you're learning. If I can't just pump out exams like some psychotic cert-machine with no life outside of IT and internet-pr0n (read "dynamik"), I try to find ways to test out what plateaus I've reached. If I just studied up on a specific topic, let's say DNS, then I try to tackle a project on said topic at work (or anywhere else I can show off my IT skills) and prove to myself that I'm making progress. Nothing motivates more than results, especially if those results are noticed by others than just yourself. While looking forward at the things you have yet to learn is a good way to figure out what to do next, looking back at how far you've come is a great way to show yourself that you've grown from where you started and that you should keep going.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    BarryprBarrypr Member Posts: 71 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Not studying as much since I picked up the new job, I was putting in 4/5 hours more at weekends, working in a dead end job taking crap from people who very very thick was my motivation to get certified and find a better job, now that I have it, passing the merks and bmw's in the carpark is motivating me again that and the fact I like learning I guess!
  • Options
    sagewalkintheresagewalkinthere Member Posts: 99 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'm trying to study for several hours at work, and then maybe an hour at home. I lost motivation to study for a while, but when I discussed it with my fiance, I realized that I need to advance my career so I can make more money to support her well.

And a fast car would be cool too. icon_cool.gif '69 Stingray #'s matching is my eventual goal.
    A.A.S. Multimedia Web Design, MCTS 70-623, MCTS 83-640, MCP 70-270, A+
    http://jasonereid.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    bertiebbertieb Member Posts: 1,031 ■■■■■■□□□□
    mrmcmint wrote: »
    I love cars - seeing all these lambos and ferraris driving around does it for me! especially with roofs down :D

You'd best nip down to the Lambo dealership and buy one TODAY seeing as it's beautiful weather-wise. You just know it isn't going to last and it will be pouring down again in Manchester soon - make the most of the top down motoring whilst you can ;)
    The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they are genuine - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    I realized that I need to advance my career so I can make more money to support her well.

You just want to be able to tell her:

BAKE ME A PIE!

icon_lol.gif (I kid!)
    Good luck to all!
  • Options
    mrmcmintmrmcmint Member Posts: 492 ■■■□□□□□□□
    bertieb wrote: »
    You'd best nip down to the Lambo dealership and buy one TODAY seeing as it's beautiful weather-wise. You just know it isn't going to last and it will be pouring down again in Manchester soon - make the most of the top down motoring whilst you can ;)

Yes tell me about it! its been nice today though - very warm! :D

Speaking of lambo's and ferrari's, i have seen a chrome gallardo out of the window next to my desk today! never seen anything like that before!! :)

Still not seen my all time favourite though... the F40. Dyijng to see one of those.

Maybe if all this studying pays off one day..............

;)
  • Options
    jryantechjryantech Member Posts: 623
    No studying June-August.

Come back in September.

Thanks.
    "It's Microsoft versus mankind with Microsoft having only a slight lead."
    -Larry Ellison, CEO, Oracle

Studying: SCJA
  • Options
    vColevCole Member Posts: 1,573 ■■■■■■■□□□
    jryantech wrote: »
    No studying June-August.

Come back in September.

Thanks.

I wish I could say that. I will be completely immersed in my studies this summer while I have the time, since during the school year is too hectic.
  • Options
    snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□

Still not seen my all time favourite though... the F40. Dyijng to see one of those.

Maybe if all this studying pays off one day..............

;)

Okay, Im getting off topic, but...

I have seen the illustrious F-40 and the F-50. One of the only cars I dream about that I haven't seen in person is an Enzo. Some guy has one in town, but I never see it out and about.
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • Options
    murdatapesmurdatapes Member Posts: 232 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm spending a lot of time with the mcse material. Classes don't start back up until July 13. Been out for a little over a week now and want to try and take 70-293 by next week. Putting in about 2-3hours of study/lab/videos each day. Starbucks has been my home for studying lately.
    Next up
    CIW Web Foundations Associatef(Knock out some certs before WGU)
    ITIL Intermediate Service Operations
  • Options
    skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    HeroPsycho wrote: »
    You just want to be able to tell her:

BAKE ME A PIE!

icon_lol.gif (I kid!)
    Ah, you're such the gentleman! ;)

As for my motivation, it's all over the place. It seems to come in spurts - I did my Windows 7 beta and 290 and Server beta all within the last few weeks. But now my brain feels extra mushy because of it, since I was doing school & work at the same time (both part time but still time consuming). I've slept very little since, oh, early May to make the extra time. Before this last marathon run though, my last exam was in late 2008. I'd like to keep my between-certs-timeframe from ever getting that long again. If I could keep it down to 1-3 months average, then I think I'd be in pretty good shape.

An overall certification plan is good to keep you on track though. I completed nearly all of the plan I made up 2 years ago, and now I'm working on my phase 2 certification and personal development plan. Having a destination does wonders to make you get off your arse to get there.
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
  • Options
    cbigbrickcbigbrick Member Posts: 284
    I have reduced my studying for the CISSP right now. My mom just had knee replacement surgry and I just want to finish my Buick. Once the car is back home and my mom get better, I will be spending lots of time in the library on Saturdays. Good thing is that I have already read the first 5 domains so I still do practice questions whenever possible.
    And in conclusion your point was.....???

Don't get so upset...it's just ones and zeros.
  • Options
    stlsmoorestlsmoore Member Posts: 515 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Gives me something to work towards... even if i never get there.

Yea agreed but even then I know certs alone won't get me to that level. I plan on pushing as far as I can as a network engineer all the while investing in some sort of side business. I'm looking at real estate investing now, mainly rentals though. I just have to pay the rest of my student loan off and save for a few years and then the real fun begins!
    My Cisco Blog Adventure: http://shawnmoorecisco.blogspot.com/

Don't Forget to Add me on LinkedIn!
    https://www.linkedin.com/in/shawnrmoore
  • Options
    phantasmphantasm Member Posts: 995
    Motivation comes from within. Do a few years in the military and other people will motivate you. lol. After they're done, all you have to do is think back to boot and believe me, you will be motivated to finish it.

As for me, I want to get a better job so I can afford a house for my family. I also want and Audi S5 for myself. lol.
    "No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -Heraclitus
  • Options
    mikedisd2mikedisd2 Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Just have to look at my resume and go, wow, need to fill up that blank space.

Also surrounded by IT consultants all day who know alot more than me. That helps.
  • Options
    dynamik wrote: »

Dammit, shhhhhh! I can't copy and paste my answers from duplicate threads if you go blabbing about them. icon_lol.gif

• Options
    snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Sometimes I find that actually scheduling my exam tends to light a big fire under my A55. I'm actually contemplating that now so I can get in the "study groove"
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    snadam wrote: »
    Sometimes I find that actually scheduling my exam tends to light a big fire under my A55. I'm actually contemplating that now so I can get in the "study groove"

That is what actually gets me going for the exam prep phase.

But for really learning it is being able to use the technology at work that is a huge motivation. This actually creates a positive feedback loop for me. For example with my SQL studies, the more queries I write for people and integrate into some cool reporting system the more they want and the more experience I get. I look for ways to implement what I have studied on a daily basis. I go back and optimize views or simply clean up syntax to follow best practices. I review server logs and think of the error messages I don't want to see. I review the current disaster recovery plan and how I can improve it. I think about how migrating to a more up-to-date version of SQL Server might improve this or that.
  • Options
    But for really learning it is being able to use the technology at work that is a huge motivation.... I look for ways to implement what I have studied on a daily basis.

Exactly... stuff like Active Directory Group Policy and DNS is sooooooooo much easier to learn and retain if you get to practice it at work. I love those days when I'm challenged by a problem at work and the answer is in the very material I'm studying... I just go dig and find it and implement it.

I love hands on studying/practice...
  • Options

This is excellent advice, tends to work the same way for me. Sadly, though, this year's been tough on me and every time I've scheduled a round of MCSE exams to finish off the cert I've run into money-problems and have to cancel. icon_sad.gif

• Options
    msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Slowhand wrote: »
    This is excellent advice, tends to work the same way for me. Sadly, though, this year's been tough on me and every time I've scheduled a round of MCSE exams to finish off the cert I've run into money-problems and have to cancel. icon_sad.gif

That's perhaps one of the bigger motivators for me, or maybe it's not a motivator but something that keeps me on track - I'm not sure. But I face similar problems, I can go months without any significant problems but the moment I schedule an exam it's guaranteed that at least one or two significant events will go down leading up to the exam - it just never fails.

Otherwise, my biggest motivator is my family and desire to move up and out of my current job. Knowing my family is making sacrifices for me to be attending school and study for classes and certifications in the evenings and weekends is a big motivator. I owe it to my wife and son to use the time I spend studying to the fullest and to not let them down for the sacrifices they make.
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    That's perhaps one of the bigger motivators for me, or maybe it's not a motivator but something that keeps me on track - I'm not sure. But I face similar problems, I can go months without any significant problems but the moment I schedule an exam it's guaranteed that at least one or two significant events will go down leading up to the exam - it just never fails.

Otherwise, my biggest motivator is my family and desire to move up and out of my current job. Knowing my family is making sacrifices for me to be attending school and study for classes and certifications in the evenings and weekends is a big motivator. I owe it to my wife and son to use the time I spend studying to the fullest and to not let them down for the sacrifices they make.

Ditto. Thanks for the reminder, my wife cannot wait for me to be done with my A.A.S. I didn't plan on taking classes in the evening, but I only have one class "accounting" to finish. I would have taken a Tech class over accounting in the summer.icon_rolleyes.gif Never, I repeat! Never! leave your least favorite class till last. :) It makes you hate the summer. icon_cry.gif

Thanks for the family reminder, its an encouragement.
  • Options
    vColevCole Member Posts: 1,573 ■■■■■■■□□□

Same here. I need to schedule my 70-291 exam so I'll start studying! icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    I need to rid myself of the nonsense of day-to-day life as it is right now. Either it's money or it's stress, sometimes both: we got a note on the door of the house we're renting that the bank will be taking the house from our landlord and selling it in auction on the 15th of July. So, guess who's not studying for a damn thing this month and spending all his free time looking at apartments, putting things in storage, and stressing out about who's going to take care of the cat while I sleep in my car for a week or three?

On a completely unrelated note, I don't drink nearly enough.

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Slowhand wrote: »
    I need to rid myself of the nonsense of day-to-day life as it is right now. Either it's money or it's stress, sometimes both: we got a note on the door of the house we're renting that the bank will be taking the house from our landlord and selling it in auction on the 15th of July. So, guess who's not studying for a damn thing this month and spending all his free time looking at apartments, putting things in storage, and stressing out about who's going to take care of the cat while I sleep in my car for a week or three?

On a completely unrelated note, I don't drink nearly enough.

I'm going to be homeless this month too! *high five*

I guess I'll be seeing you at the bar, eh? icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Nice, I have the blessing of serving those papers. Guess who gets everything bit a gun pulled on him? ;)

That is the number two reason for studying hard.
  • Options
    Nice, I have the blessing of serving those papers. Guess who gets everything bit a gun pulled on him? ;)

That is the number two reason for studying hard.

Wow... I would hate to serve papers, lol...
  • Options
    arwesarwes Member Posts: 633 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Same here. I need to schedule my 70-291 exam so I'll start studying! icon_lol.gif

'Sup fellow procrastinating "the beast" buddy? icon_lol.gif
    [size=-2]Started WGU - BS IT:NDM on 1/1/13, finished 12/31/14
    Working on: Waiting on the mailman to bring me a diploma
    What's left: Graduation![/size]