Options

MCSE before the End of the year...

2»

Comments

• Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    dynamik wrote: »
    You need two security electives for the MCSA:S as well: Microsoft Learning: Microsoft Certified Systems Administrator (MCSA)

....That's what I said :D Getting lots of questions about MCSA:Security
  • Options
    blake69blake69 Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Dude I have been waiting for such a post, I’m pursing the MCSE brass ring, and I’m working in a place where promotions seem to be more of a click thing rather than a skill or desire thing. I have taken two years off so I can take some classes just to get some hands on experience with server software and now I’m back to the MCSE material starting with 70-290 and three virtual machines, two 2003 servers and one XP. So where are you at in studying, have you already completed the 70-290.
  • Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    blake69 wrote: »
    Dude I have been waiting for such a post, I’m pursing the MCSE brass ring, and I’m working in a place where promotions seem to be more of a click thing rather than a skill or desire thing. I have taken two years off so I can take some classes just to get some hands on experience with server software and now I’m back to the MCSE material starting with 70-290 and three virtual machines, two 2003 servers and one XP. So where are you at in studying, have you already completed the 70-290.

I will be completing the CCNA and SECURITY+ this coming month. August is when I plan to get the 70-290 and 70-270 done. I am going to try to finish 2 test a month until I get the MCSE done. I plan to have it done before November 22. What are you studying?
  • Options
    blake69blake69 Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    2 test a month, wow. OK well I'm starting to prepare for the 70-290, will use books from class to study. Never thought of two test per month, but I guess if I put my head down and just start swiming for the end lke you, I'll have it by november or at least be that much closer to it.
  • Options
    blake69 wrote: »
    2 test a month, wow. OK well I'm starting to prepare for the 70-290, will use books from class to study. Never thought of two test per month, but I guess if I put my head down and just start swiming for the end lke you, I'll have it by november or at least be that much closer to it.

Lol Awesome. I well my MS test order is going to be like this

Starting July:
    2 1/2 weeks for 290
    3 weeks for 291
    2 weeks for 270

Im not sure about the other ones yet. Im trying to break this up into smaller goals. Like CCNA, SEC+, MCSA before the end of August. Im almost considering starting studying for the 290 next month after I do the security+ , Im not sure yet...
  • Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    dynamik wrote: »
    I can't at all; I'm just posting the requirements as MS lists them.

I remember those threads, but I didn't have time to search for them since I had to rush off to do some drunken tubing down the Apple River drunken_smilie.gif

I think it might be a fluke on MS website, because on the MCSA page, under specializations it lists the various requirements for those specializations.
    I would find it hard to believe that MS would add a security specialization to their higher level cert like MCSA with one 3rd party exam.
  • Options
    Well I have signed up for a transcender package and I am using a trial version of Oriley online and so far both have been fantastic. This is a great way to save paper and $$$ if you are going to be reading alot of books (I am). The only thing I am concerned about is the fact that I do not get extra things I would get with the books (discount papers for the exam, etc) but I do get the the cd rom extras so most everything is good.
  • Options
    hamondmanhamondman Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Well man count me on........
    Let the party begins............
  • Options
    BreadfanBreadfan Member Posts: 282 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Just wanted to add my .02 in here...

As everyone else has said, I encourage you to use this website and all the wealth of info it has. Without it, the knowledge here and the people's advice and encouragement, I don't believe I would've passed a single exam.

Also, unless you have alot more experience and knowledge in Server 2003 than in XP, I would say, take the 70-270 exam (or even better take the 70-620). I took the 70-620 as my first MS exam to get my feet wet and it helped tremendously to get used to how they word things compared to CompTIA tests. Also, the best part of all, is that the 620 test applies to BOTH the 2003 and 2008 tracks and you become MCTS/MCP certified. Once you are comfortable, then dive into 290 and 291.

It sounds like you are going thru what I did as far as work goes and the Catch-22's with HR dept's and without the MS certs you dont get squat. Dont fret, you will get there. Just dont be in such a hurry that the knowledge becomes a blur. Practice, Practice, Practice, Practice...

and oh yes...Good Luck...icon_thumright.gif
    Mark Twain

“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven than I shall not go.

• Options
    hamondman wrote: »
    Well man count me on........
    Let the party begins............

Well I have had some soul searching in another forum about which certs I am going to do.

It may be something like this
    CCNA (7/15)
    290 (8/xx)
    291 (9/xx)
    270 or 620 Haven't decided which one(10/xx) = MCSA
    Sec+ or 293 or off studying for CCNA:S (11/xx)
    294 or CCNA:S = MCSE (12/xx)
    (some people have said the S+ can get you an A+,N+, and S+ count for electives for MCSA AND MCSE although this is not offical)
    297 or 298 = MCSE (1/xx)

I am not sure yet. But I will definately study to get more knowledge with you guys.