Options

Rip load balancing

puppynut5puppynut5 Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
I'm doing a practice final for CCNA module 2. My final exam is tonight... I can't believe they ask question about RIP V1 since it's dead really.

But thanks for any help.

here's the question

A network is using RIP as the routing protocol. The router learns that the same destination can be reached via five different paths. All paths have the same metric, and all routers are using the default operation.

It will use the first available path to the destination.

It will use only the first two paths that it learned.

It will use four of the five paths.

It will load-balance using all five paths.

I believe RIP v2 can load balance up to four... is the same true of RIP V1 or is just the first available path??

Also this one...

A network is configured with the IP, IPX, and AppleTalk protocols. Which routing protocol is recommended for this networkRIPV1

RIPV2

EIGRP

OSPF

Thanks so much again. You guys are the best. Can't wait till i can be of some use answering CCNA questions. I'm good with prac app... I worked for the government doing networking but some of these ass bleeding details escape me. I got an 80% on the practice final but since it's worth 39% of my grade and I have a GPA of 95% in the class I need to do better to get an A.

Comments

• Options
    jason_lundejason_lunde Member Posts: 567
    common dude....you could of googled the answers in that amount of time....not trying to be an ass, but if you look them up for yourself they will stick better in your brain than if I just give you the answer.
  • Options
    common dude....you could of googled the answers in that amount of time....not trying to be an ass, but if you look them up for yourself they will stick better in your brain than if I just give you the answer.

Believe me. I googled the crap out of them. Theres hella CCNA Module 2 practice exams out there. And they didnt' have those questions.

Thanks youre a big help.
  • Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    puppynut5 wrote: »
    I'm doing a practice final for CCNA module 2. My final exam is tonight... I can't believe they ask question about RIP V1 since it's dead really.

But thanks for any help.

here's the question

A network is using RIP as the routing protocol. The router learns that the same destination can be reached via five different paths. All paths have the same metric, and all routers are using the default operation.

It will use the first available path to the destination.

It will use only the first two paths that it learned.

It will use four of the five paths.

It will load-balance using all five paths.

I believe RIP v2 can load balance up to four... is the same true of RIP V1 or is just the first available path??

How Does Load Balancing Work? - Cisco Systems

I think rip will load balance off of 6 equal paths but I could be wrong. EIGRP uses 4 but I think RIP can use the limit of the Cisco IOS (6 paths).

A network is configured with the IP, IPX, and AppleTalk protocols. Which routing protocol is recommended for this networkRIPV1

RIPV2

EIGRP

OSPF

EDIT:

EIGRP is the only one that can work with multiple protocols.

That was a fun review

Sources: Google and CCNA study guide
  • Options
    Thank you so so much... I really appreciate it.
  • Options

He's right. I mean I totally forgot that EIGRP could be used for multiple protocols. Don't sweat it though. We all have our strengths and weaknesses icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    Thank you so so much... I really appreciate it.

no prob. Don't quote me on the rip thing but I think im right.
  • Options
    Dubuku57Dubuku57 Member Posts: 81 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hi ,
    Could i just clarify this...doesnt EIGRP use 6 paths for loading? By default it does equal cost but if we use the 'variance' command, it would support unequal-cost paths too...

Think RIP is defaulted to 4 but can go up to max of 6? How about OSPF?

Thanks!
  • Options
    Dubuku57Dubuku57 Member Posts: 81 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I found the answer! OSPF allows for up to 16 equal-cost paths though default is 4 =)
  • Options
    NeekoNeeko Member Posts: 170
    Since the routers are using defaults, four of the five routes will be used. 6 is the maximum but this has to be manually set.
  • Options
    RIP allows up to 6 you're right... But for the question it only allows 4 by default settings. You have to tell it to allow up to six. But you got me on the right path.

I got a 91.2% on my Module 2 final. So thanks a lot for your help ya'll. I'll be sticking around, learn a thing or two maybe help someone else out sometime.
  • Options
    RIP allows up to 6 you're right... But for the question it only allows 4 by default settings. You have to tell it to allow up to six. But you got me on the right path.

I got a 91.2% on my Module 2 final. So thanks a lot for your help ya'll. I'll be sticking around, learn a thing or two maybe help someone else out sometime.

Good information. Thanks for the follow up.