Options

SMTP forwarding

JordusJordus Banned Posts: 336
Is it possible to set up the SMTP service on Windows Server and have it forward/authenticate against another SMTP server? Say one provided by your ISP.

Im trying to get an internal namesapce (example.local) to send alerts from some things via smtp, but need the internal smtp to forward to another SMTP.

I've never worked with mail much before, so forgive my noob question. icon_redface.gif

Comments

• Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    Yeah. You can. Google for SMTP smart host. You'll have to dig around in the links that get returned from that as I'm not an Exchange man.
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    You can set it to use another SMTP as smart host whether you're using Exchange or just IIS SMTP. I'm not 100% positive about authentication, but I think you can do that too if your ISP requires authentication to use SMTP.

Is this your home ISP or a business ISP?
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...