Options

Weird ping issue on Vista / W7

jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
For a long time now (just never bothered checking why) we have a weird issue.

If you ping a server using '-t' and reboot the server, it obviously loses ping, fair enough. However, even if the server is back up again, the ping doesn't return.

We do not see this issue on our XP workstations which is kinda weird. If you stop the ping and try again after a few minutes - it is all back to normal.

Has anyone seen this before ?
My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p

Comments

• Options
    mrmcmintmrmcmint Member Posts: 492 ■■■□□□□□□□
    yep! i've seen it before, it happens to me at home.

Say i use my laptop downstairs, and rdp on to my upstairs pc.

If i reboot my upstairs pc i issue a ping -t on the laptop, request timed out appears, but also remains in that state (for ever).

At first i though, bugger, i cant be bothered going back upstairs to figure out what has happened so i just tried to rdp back onto it expecting it to fail... but no.... it worked! then, when i closed my ping window and re opened it and started a new ping, it worked.

I have no idea how that is possible.
  • Options
    mrmcmint wrote: »
    yep! i've seen it before, it happens to me at home.

Say i use my laptop downstairs, and rdp on to my upstairs pc.

If i reboot my upstairs pc i issue a ping -t on the laptop, request timed out appears, but also remains in that state (for ever).

At first i though, bugger, i cant be bothered going back upstairs to figure out what has happened so i just tried to rdp back onto it expecting it to fail... but no.... it worked! then, when i closed my ping window and re opened it and started a new ping, it worked.

I have no idea how that is possible.

We found out what it was ... it was a firmware issue of our Draytek router .. As we have a Draytek in the office, in the datacenter for internet and also every technician has one at home (to run multiple VPNs) we all had the same issue - nobody thought about the possibility of Draytek being the issue ...
  • Options
    Hell of a bump, but finally found out the real reason for the weird ping problems:

Release notes of the most recent Draytek firmware
    VPN
    20. Corrected: Failure of running IP Ping through VPN.

Man, we are all having this issue for over a year now (evenbody here uses Draytek due to the amount of build in VPNs etc.)

Kept telling my colleagues that it only makes sense to be the router - but didn't really make sense to them so it was laughed at .. now who is laughing :)

I know the previous post of me already said it was the draytek, but the problem returned and was only fixed for some people which was odd. Now they officially fixed it at last .....

Oh and yes, it is now fixed indeedy :D