Trunking with a Printer?!?!?!

peanutnogginpeanutnoggin Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■□□□□□□□
I ran into a problem with a printer not receiving network connectivity. It was a production printer that moved from one bldg to another. After troubleshooting, I looked at the switch's config in which the printer was pulled and noticed the switchport was trunked. When I trunked the new switchport for the printer, it came online? That was weird, I don't recall having to ever do that. Does anyone know why that would happen or what I could do to fix that?

~Thanks
We cannot have a superior democracy with an inferior education system!

-Mayor Cory Booker

Comments

• BigmanoncampusBigmanoncampus Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I see no reason why a printer would need a port trunked to connect to the network. It should be an acess port just like any other TCP/IP host would want.
  • tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    Does the printer support 802.1q for some reason?
  • tech-airmantech-airman Member Posts: 953
    I ran into a problem with a printer not receiving network connectivity. It was a production printer that moved from one bldg to another. After troubleshooting, I looked at the switch's config in which the printer was pulled and noticed the switchport was trunked. When I trunked the new switchport for the printer, it came online? That was weird, I don't recall having to ever do that. Does anyone know why that would happen or what I could do to fix that?

~Thanks

peanutnoggin,

What is the printer's manufacturer?
  • peanutnogginpeanutnoggin Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■□□□□□□□
    @tech-airman,
    The printer is an HP color laserjet 4600.

@tiersten,
    I'm not sure if the printer supports 802.1q... How could I find this information out? I've searched HP's website, but to no avail.

Thanks.

~Peanut Head
    We cannot have a superior democracy with an inferior education system!

-Mayor Cory Booker
  • APAAPA Member Posts: 959
    If the printer was hooked up to a trunk port... that means it would be tagging the frames before entering the switch....

I honestly have never seen that happen... I don't understand why anyone would need it....

Can you show us the switchport configuration?

Are you sure it wasn't a trunk port with a native vlan set for the printer? This is how the hold 3500XL switches use to do their voice configurations... With a trunked port but setting the native vlan of the trunk port to the actual access vlan the PC should be on.

CCNA | CCNA:Security | CCNP | CCIP
    JNCIA:JUNOS | JNCIA:EX | JNCIS:ENT | JNCIS:SEC
    JNCIS:SP | JNCIP:SP