Options

Microsoft Certification- no more papers!

hoomi_mcsehoomi_mcse Member Posts: 49 ■■□□□□□□□□
Microsoft has announced that they will no more send certification in paper and there will be only digital version of certifications available to download, though if you want to still have paper certifications you must pay for posting and handling!! that's really a sad news isn't it?

here is the exact announcement from microsoft :
MCP certificates are now available for download

In an effort to reduce our carbon footprint and impact on the environment, Microsoft has transitioned MCP certificates from paper to digital format. If you would like to order a printed certificate, this option will be available starting in July. You must pay shipping and handling fees for printed certificates.

Comments

• Options
    Alif_Sadida_EkinAlif_Sadida_Ekin Member Posts: 341 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Will they still send you a welcome kit complete with your updated MCP card? For instance, when I pass the final exam for my MCSE, will I get an updated card that shows the MCSE on it? I find the card more useful than the certificate, cause I bring it with me for interviews and other places where I need to show my credentials.
    AWS: Solutions Architect Associate, MCSA, MCTS, CIW Professional, A+, Network+, Security+, Project+

BS, Information Technology
  • Options
    pennystraderpennystrader Member Posts: 155
    You won't get a card anymore unless you pay for it.

Microsoft Going Green... digital is free, paper certs you will have to pay for - MCSE World

Yeah the card was the best thing. I could care less that i got a lapel pin or the paper certificates. You can always send a potential employer your transcript ID so they can see exactly what certs you have and when.

The more knowledge one obtains the more there is too accumulate.....

• Options
    thomas130thomas130 Member Posts: 184
    Just sounds like another way of making extra money out of us unless they reduce the cost of the exam
  • Options
    You won't get a card anymore unless you pay for it.

Microsoft Going Green... digital is free, paper certs you will have to pay for - MCSE World

Yeah the card was the best thing. I could care less that i got a lapel pin or the paper certificates. You can always send a potential employer your transcript ID so they can see exactly what certs you have and when.

mate you mean if we pay still there will be card? I've heard that they don't give card anymore! is that true?
  • Options
    skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    hoomi_mcse wrote: »
    mate you mean if we pay still there will be card? I've heard that they don't give card anymore! is that true?
    It's very unclear the way it's worded - it doesn't specifically say that cards will or won't be available; they're not even mentioned as an option. All it says is that the welcome kits will be discontinued and if you want to order a paper certificate, you can pay for & order one...but nothing about the card that usually comes as part of the welcome kit. I'm considering contacting mcp help/regional service center to see what the deal is - at this point, it's only affecting my Windows 7 Beta cert and not an ID card, but I'd kinda like to get a new card when I earn MCSA or MCSE...
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
  • Options
    it's not fair really! after studyin hard for exams, after paying the prices for both exams and courses. it's not fair to take ceritifcates and wallet cards away from us! and this green part is really silly IMO. it's 100% clear that they want to make more money!! it will be a big big blow for Microsoft, believe me1
    it will be so sad if they take wallet card away !
  • Options
    elaverick1981elaverick1981 Member Posts: 161
    Cards are disappearing as well. They're going to be replaced with a digital version with links to your certification records. Have a look at the discussions on VBC Experience Site For MCP’s | born to learn for more info.
  • Options
    I beleive most of ppl are against this desicion and Microsoft may retrieve from it .
  • Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    No shocker to me. I don't think we need certs for every single MCTS we pull down. We didn't get them for the individual MCP exams afterall. But I would still like to receive them for the MCITPs. I have no issues with paying postage as long as that's what I am actually paying. $10 for shipping would just be stupid, for example.
  • Options
    I guess you say thay coz you've got your certificates already . :) it wont be coOl not to have paper certificate and wallet card for mcsa and mcse . it's something we spend our time and energy for and we must get something in reward!
  • Options
    That's it! wallet cards are history :
    Mike, no plans to continue manufacturing the wallet cards, sorry.

Posted by: Ken Rosen (Microsoft)

quote from other forum.
  • Options
    ULWizULWiz Member Posts: 722
    I actually could care less if i get a welcome kit or not. Must people have nice printers where a nice photo copy could be made in a matter of minutes. I have never had anyone ask me for my certificates during a interview or after. Might need some higher certs until they actually need to verify them i guess. LoL.

Anyways not a big deal, if you really need it that bad them pay for it. Nothing is free in this world.
    CompTIA A+ Nov 25, 1997
    CompTIA Network+ March 7, 2008
    MCTS Vista 620 June 14, 2008
    MCP Server 290 Nov 15, 2008
    MCP Server 291 In Progress (Exam 12/28/09)
    Cisco CCENT In Progress
    MCP Server 291 In Progress
    C|EH In Progress
  • Options
    Alif_Sadida_EkinAlif_Sadida_Ekin Member Posts: 341 ■■■■□□□□□□
    At least we can still print our transcripts out. Looks like that'll have to do instead of the cards.
    AWS: Solutions Architect Associate, MCSA, MCTS, CIW Professional, A+, Network+, Security+, Project+

BS, Information Technology
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I really don't care; I keep mine all filed away anyway. I do like the wallet cards though. However, mine already says MCTS and MCITP, so I'm not hurting unless I go for a master, or whatever they put in that third space. I suppose it could be an MCPD or something too...
  • Options
    TalicTalic Member Posts: 423
    Do they have the digital versions of the wallet cards? I always liked the Comptia wallet cards to show I have the certs.

The only problem I have with printing them out is that printer paper doesn't have the same texture and is flimsier then the paper the cards are printed on. Not to mention you would have to cut them out which sucks too.

I say we should all complain about the cards and call them some half hearted cheap green bastards :D

I do agree about the whole paper though, it's pretty useless.
  • Options
    it's obvious those who already have the card doesn't care that much! thankfuly at least I have my MCP card.
    i think everyone should boycot microsoft for this decision.
  • Options
    That's it! wallet cards are history :

quote from other forum.
    Mike, no plans to continue manufacturing the wallet cards, sorry.

Posted by: Ken Rosen (Microsoft)
    nooooooooooooo! I kinda liked being a card-carrying geek. Not that I've ever shown them to anyone other than my husband, but I really did like having them. Sigh, oh well. We'll see if there's a backlash and if MS catches some flak, or if they stick to their earth-friendly guns and discontinue the cards for good. I'm not about to boycott MS when I'm one exam away from MCSA though!

• Options
    I am totally going to buy a card printer; I see a market here!
  • Options
    royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Good riddance. Personally, I think they're a waste of environmental resources.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • Options
    hannoshannos Member Posts: 29 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I don't really care either way.
    My transcript ID is on my resume. Prospective employers see that before they see me so I cannot see how a card is of any use.

As for a certificate... see above.
  • Options
    HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    skrpune wrote: »
    nooooooooooooo! I kinda liked being a card-carrying geek. Not that I've ever shown them to anyone other than my husband, but I really did like having them.

I used to carry my card around, but one day I realized I never once pulled it out of my wallet for any reason. So I pulled it out for the first and last time, and it's been in some random drawer ever since. icon_lol.gif

I'll gladly trade cards and printed certificates for a Free Second Shot anyday of the week, but unfortunately I don't think that's what's going to happen.
    Good luck to all!
  • Options
    HeroPsycho wrote: »
    I used to carry my card around, but one day I realized I never once pulled it out of my wallet for any reason. So I pulled it out for the first and last time, and it's been in some random drawer ever since. icon_lol.gif

I'll gladly trade cards and printed certificates for a Free Second Shot anyday of the week, but unfortunately I don't think that's what's going to happen.
    Yeah, I know...the cards are more for me than anything else. I haven't had to show them to anyone yet, and with MS pulling them from their repertoire it's likely I won't ever have to show them to anyone as "proof" of my certs. Guess that's what transcripts are for.

Although I still would like the cards, I agree with you - I would totally give up cards for free second shots. Let's hope they bring it back around again...

• Options
    msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□

What do you think they meant by "going green" :D

I'm not that concerned really, I can see the welcome kit being one of those things that might be somewhat cool to get that first time but it would really lose my interest. All I really care about is earning the credential, anything else to me is really irrelevant. I really despise printed documents anyways for the most part, it's just a bunch of crap that I have sitting around my house. I've actually gone the route lately of picking up a scanner with a document feeder and scanning any documents I would typically save and archiving them to my file server and keeping backups on DVD in my safe deposit (at least for documents I don't get the option to have delivered electronically).
  • Options
    I had to use my card at an MS booth to prove I was an MCP and get a free shirt before. I'll gladly lug it around if it might land me some free clothes.
  • Options
    anyone has and update on price of paper certificates? let us know if you find out something