Options

Newbie looking for advice

Doomsday JDoomsday J Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hello!
I am in the middle of my third semester on my way to my associates degree in networking technology. I was luck enough to get my education paid for by the government via the TRA program. I love computers and to get a job working with them is like a dream come true. What kind of job can I expect to get? Any insite appreciated.

J
If you dont stand for something, you will fall for anything.

Comments

• Options
    Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    What kind of job do you want? You'll have some networking knowledge with your schooling.....although, unless they have killer job placement, you may need to try some support role first, then bleed into networking. If you want a goal, an ultimate prize, the reward for years of study and work.....you want CCIE The title of guru in Networking. Right now, Cisco has quite the hold on the Networking industry. There is some more info throughout that site as well. CCNA is the begining. Other than that, take a look at this list It shows quite a few more certifications available, and where they could possibly take you.

Good Luck.

p.s.---Stay away from Braindumps, just in case you didn't know......
    i remain, he who remains to be....
  • Options
    GhentGhent Member Posts: 310
    Going in to your first IT job, expect nothing other then to be over worked and under paid. Until you get that oh so valueable expierience (atleast a year to 18 months), the IT field is no dream job. After you've got the expierience though, employeers start to look at you with some serious respect (whether you're working your way up the ladder at the same job you started, or looking to switch out for another company). Bottom line though, don't treat that year or 2 of paying your dues as just a nessecary evil, embrace it and strive each day to prove your worth to everyone arround you. That's the IT world in a nut shell, and hopefully some good advice for getting started.
    Prais'd be the fathomless universe, for life and joy, and for objects and knowledge curious.' Whalt Whitman
  • Options
    Doomsday JDoomsday J Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Excellent. Thanks for the kind words!
    If you dont stand for something, you will fall for anything.