Options

On A Roll!!!

tomkentomken Member Posts: 63 ■■□□□□□□□□
Sat this exam today along with the Security + test! Aced 'em both!! 959 on the 293 and 890 on the Sec+!!!

I sat the 293 first and was glad I did. The questions were very long and in depth. You really do need to have a strong grasp of the material in order to be able to answer some of them. It was pretty well balanced and covered DNS, DHCP, RRAS, PKI, IPSEC, CLUSTERING AND NETWORK LOAD BALANCING. Also had a few questions on group policy! 45 questions and 5 sims. Took me an hour and a half compared to the usual 45-50 minutes I've spent on previous exams! Also found that there was a lot of overlap between this one and the 291....my advice is to not skip the repeat stuff, it really helped to reinforce what I had learned previously and gave me a better understanding of how everything fits together!!!

In comparison, the Sec+ exam took 50 minutes to complete 100 questions - mostly one liners!!!! Seemed very simple in comparison to the 293. Didn't spend a lot of time studying for this one - occaionally read the exam cram book and did the practice exams at the ends of the chapters, but most of the material was either gleaned from my MS studies or was just plain common sense. An easy exam for anyone looking to add the Security specialization on to their MCSA!!!

Gonna take a little break for the next two weeks and then on to the 294!!!

Do you think I should take the 298 or 299 to complete my MCSE?

Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I assume you mean 297 or 298. Depends if you prefer AD or security. You should just sit 298 and 299 on the same day and get your MCSE:S.

Congrats again!
  • Options
    dynamik wrote: »
    I assume you mean 297 or 298. Depends if you prefer AD or security. You should just sit 298 and 299 on the same day and get your MCSE:S.

Congrats again!

Sorry Dynamik, I was temporarily confused for a minute. I am most definitely interested in pursuing security and read on another post somewhere that you studied for the 299 but took both exams at the same time. I forgot about the 297!!!

I know that this has been hashed out in other threads, but I do believe that by also passing the Sec+ exam, it gives me the MCSA:S. I guess I will find out for sure once I am able to publish my CompTia credentials to MS.
  • Options
    massiramonesmassiramones Member Posts: 57 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congratulation for the pass and the great score :)
  • Options
    mrgetdown88mrgetdown88 Member Posts: 43 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Since we're on the subject, how should you go about posting your CompTia credentials to MS. I read how to in another post, but now I can't remember... I would like to save myself the strife of trying to access their website's broken links :)
    XBox Live: xGetDownNoobx
    Working towards 70-291 and CCNA
    Future Goals (In this order):CCNA, MCSA, CCNP, MCITP:EA, CEH

"Consider yourselves lucky I'm not after your gully holes..."
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Since we're on the subject, how should you go about posting your CompTia credentials to MS. I read how to in another post, but now I can't remember... I would like to save myself the strife of trying to access their website's broken links :)

http://www.techexams.net/forums/mcsa-mcse-windows-2003-general/44395-mcsa-where-now.html#post324860
  • Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Nice job on the exams. I would take the 298 and 299 to get the MCSE: Security.

To get your CompTIA credentials to MS or other organizations go to http:\\certify.comptia.org. this is different than the corporate members area. You sign in , then click "publish credentials" on the left side. You then choose the company you want CompTIA to SEND your information TO. You can find the email on MS site. I think its on the mcp page.
  • Options
    MikdillyMikdilly Member Posts: 309
    Why is 293 not an elective for MCSA?

MCSA on Windows Server 2003

Exams on networking systems: Both required

Managing and Maintaining a Windows Server 2003 Environment
    Exam 70-290

Implementing, Managing, and Maintaining a Windows Server 2003 Network Infrastructure
    Exam 70-291

Exams on client operating systems: Choose one

TS: Configuring Microsoft Windows Vista Client
    Note You may apply this exam toward either the elective requirement or the client operating systems requirement—not both.
    Exam 70-620

Installing, Configuring, and Administering Windows XP Professional
    Exam 70-270

Installing, Configuring, and Administering Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional
    Note This exam is retired, but if you already passed it, you can apply it toward this certification.
    Exam 70-210

Elective exam: Choose one

Implementing and Supporting Microsoft Systems Management Server 2.0
    Exam 70-086

Note This exam is retired, but if you already passed it, you can apply it toward this certification.
    Exam 70-086

Planning, Deploying, and Managing Microsoft Systems Management Server 2003
    Note This exam can count toward both the MCSA and the MCSE elective exam requirements.
    Exam 70-089

Installing, Configuring, and Administering Microsoft Internet Security and Acceleration (ISA) Server 2000, Enterprise Edition
    Note This exam is retired, but if you already passed it, you can apply it toward this certification. This exam can count toward both the MCSA elective requirement and an MCSA: Security Specialization requirement.
    Exam 70-227

Installing, Configuring, and Administering Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Enterprise Edition
    Note This exam is retired, but if you already passed it, you can apply it toward this certification. This exam can count toward both the MCSA and the MCSE elective exam requirements.
    Exam 70-228

TS: Developing Business Process and Integration Solutions Using Microsoft BizTalk Server
    Exam 70-235

TS: Microsoft Exchange Server 2007, Configuring
    Exam 70-236

TS: Microsoft Office Live Communications Server 2005 – Implementing, Managing, and Troubleshooting
    Exam 70-262

Implementing and Managing Microsoft Exchange Server 2003
    Note This exam can count toward both the MCSA elective requirement and an MCSA: Messaging Specialization requirement.
    Exam 70-284

Implementing and Administering Security in a Windows Server 2003 Network
    Exam 70-299

Implementing Microsoft Internet Security and Acceleration (ISA) Server 2004
    Note This exam can count toward both the MCSA elective requirement and an MCSA: Security Specialization requirement.
    Exam 70-350

TS: Microsoft Internet Security and Acceleration (ISA) Server 2006, Configuring
    Exam 70-351

TS: Microsoft System Center Operations Manager 2007, Configuring
    Exam 70-400

TS: Microsoft System Center Configuration Manager 2007, Configuring
    Exam 70-401

TS: Microsoft SQL Server 2005 – Implementation and Maintenance
    Exam 70-431

TS: Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Business Intelligence – Implementation and Maintenance
    Exam 70-445

TS: Microsoft Windows Mobile Designing, Implementing, and Managing
    Exam 70-500

TS: Microsoft Forefront Client and Server, Configuration
    Exam 70-557

TS: Configuring Microsoft Windows Vista Client
    Note You can apply this exam toward either the elective requirement or the client operating systems requirement—not both.
    Exam 70-620

TS: Deploying and Maintaining Windows Vista Client and 2007 Microsoft Office System Desktops
    Exam 70-624

TS: Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007, Configuring
    Exam 70-630

TS: Windows SharePoint Services 3.0, Configuring
    Exam 70-631

TS: Microsoft Office Communications Server 2007, Configuring
    Exam 70-638
  • Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    MS considers 293 to be part of the core exams for MCSE, not an elective.
  • Options
    motogpmanmotogpman Member Posts: 412
    Man, that is a most excellent score!!!! Congrats on both tests! I think 298 is what most people tackle in this situation. Good luck on the next test.
    -WIP- (70-294 and 297)

Once MCSE 2k3 completed:

WGU: BS in IT, Design/Management

Finish MCITP:EA, CCNA, PMP by end of 2012

After that, take a much needed vacation!!!!!
  • Options
    manny355manny355 Member Posts: 134
    congrats on the score...i'll be banging this one out later this month as well.
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Congratulations, definitely scores to be proud of on both exams. icon_thumright.gif

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    genXrcistgenXrcist Member Posts: 531
    Nice job and sweet score!!!
    1) CCNP Goal: by August 2012
  • Options
    Thanks everyone for the kind words!!!! While my friends and family congratulate me on a job well done, I do not believe that they fully understand what it is exactly that I have accomplished. It really means a great deal to hear good things from my peers!!! Again, I say THANK YOU!!!!!

I am getting ready to start studying for my next exam, should I go ahead and do the 294, or should I do the 298/299 combo and get my MCSA: Sec?