Options

Jncia-fwv

steveo1985steveo1985 Member Posts: 60 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi, Im currently revising for the JNCIA-FWV. I have two 5GT's being delivered soon so will be able to configure them. I work for an ISP and currently support Netscreens and SSG's at 1st line basis. (Added to my job role last month! I was only supporting Cisco routers and some switches... I work in the NOC so 24*7 support). I have experience in creating policys on the firewalls and troubleshooting basic issue's like NSRP out of sync or Session allocation issues.

Anyway, Im reading the netscreen and SSG book at the moment and have the exam booked on the 13th August. The question I want to know is does anyone know of/have access to practise exam questions?

Cheers! :)

Comments

• Options
    StoticStotic Member Posts: 248
    I've been trying to find legitimate test questions as well if anyone has any idea.
  • Options
    nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    steveo1985 wrote: »
    Hi, Im currently revising for the JNCIA-FWV. I have two 5GT's being delivered soon so will be able to configure them. I work for an ISP and currently support Netscreens and SSG's at 1st line basis. (Added to my job role last month! I was only supporting Cisco routers and some switches... I work in the NOC so 24*7 support). I have experience in creating policys on the firewalls and troubleshooting basic issue's like NSRP out of sync or Session allocation issues.

Anyway, Im reading the netscreen and SSG book at the moment and have the exam booked on the 13th August. The question I want to know is does anyone know of/have access to practise exam questions?

Cheers! :)
    Sorry, not meaning to go off topic much, but what are you using to revise for the exam? Just the configuring netscreen and SSG firewall book below?

Configuring Juniper Networks NetScreen & SSG Firewalls: Amazon.co.uk: Rob Cameron, Chris Cantrell, Anne Hemni, Lisa Lorenzin: Books

I've wanted to study this exam for a while because its an area i may have access to using SSG's but the study material seems rather poor when compared to the vast material other vendors have, such as MS and cisco, which has put me off slightly. Thats and the fact you have to recertify every 2 years.
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • Options
    PashPash Member Posts: 1,600 ■■■■■□□□□□
    The materials are fine, just not enough legitimate test questions out there.

If you have access to a jtec logon account you can download volumes of materials which are used throughout most JNCIA/S FWV courses.

Two 5gt's are fine for the exam practice.

Just stick to the curricular on the new exam criteria (it changed 1st September this year).
    DevOps Engineer and Security Champion. https://blog.pash.by - I am trying to find my writing style, so please bear with me.
  • Options
    AldurAldur Member Posts: 1,460
    nel wrote: »
    I've wanted to study this exam for a while because its an area i may have access to using SSG's but the study material seems rather poor when compared to the vast material other vendors have, such as MS and cisco, which has put me off slightly. Thats and the fact you have to recertify every 2 years.

What about the available study mats did you find lacking? I have to agree with Pash in that there are plenty of other studying materials available on the Juniper website. I've gone through the study materials for the CCNA and I have to say that I find them comparable to Juniper study materials. My experience maybe lacking considering this is only with routing materials. Although I do have to say it would be nice to have 3 or 4 different books written on every subject. But really, who has the time to read and absorb that much material ;)

Does recertifying every two years really seem that bad? Cisco's recert policy is every 3 years for non-CCIE level certs and ever 2 years for CCIE level certs. Things tend to change frequently in this field so 2 years doesn't seem all that bad to me. Granted this is all just a matter of opinion :D
    "Bribe is such an ugly word. I prefer extortion. The X makes it sound cool."

-Bender
  • Options
    PashPash Member Posts: 1,600 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Aldur wrote: »
    Does recertifying every two years really seem that bad? Cisco's recert policy is every 3 years for non-CCIE level certs and ever 2 years for CCIE level certs. Things tend to change frequently in this field so 2 years doesn't seem all that bad to me. Granted this is all just a matter of opinion :D

I completely agree.

From the firewall brand perspective don't forget about websense integration or even AV integration with vendor's such as Kaspersky. This stuff changes frequently as new tools become available.

I don't think 2 years is a bad turn around, it soon fly's by anyway as my CCNA is up in this December icon_rolleyes.gif
    DevOps Engineer and Security Champion. https://blog.pash.by - I am trying to find my writing style, so please bear with me.
  • Options
    nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Aldur wrote: »
    What about the available study mats did you find lacking? I have to agree with Pash in that there are plenty of other studying materials available on the Juniper website. I've gone through the study materials for the CCNA and I have to say that I find them comparable to Juniper study materials. My experience maybe lacking considering this is only with routing materials. Although I do have to say it would be nice to have 3 or 4 different books written on every subject. But really, who has the time to read and absorb that much material ;)

I just found the Juniper tracks to be limited, regarding available study guides, than its other counterparts such as cisco and MS. I.e. how is there no study/exam guide from Juniper for its tracks or other vendors geared towards a particular track? Granted there is one or two Sybex books but one appears to be an updated version to the other. Most other vendors have a range of books available for most exams, including from other publishers. maybe this isnt a big deal for many but when im new to a technology i tend to like a structure to follow for the material.

So do you guys only use the Juniper documentation for your studies? I guess this is something i should be getting used to i suppose considering everyones use of the ciscodocs too.

I can see what your saying re the 2 year recert. I would agree with your comments for CCIE level certs for any track but this isnt at that level. which is why i expressed my suprise considering many vendors tend to set it to 3 years at that level.

Im not trying to diss Juniper by any means :D infact i would love to study this cert as i will be working with SSGs in the near future.
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • Options
    AldurAldur Member Posts: 1,460
    I just found the Juniper tracks to be limited, regarding available study guides, than its other counterparts such as cisco and MS. I.e. how is there no study/exam guide from Juniper for its tracks or other vendors geared towards a particular track?

Have you been to the fast track portal? There are many study guides available for most tracks, not to mention they are free :)

Also, these aren't little wimpy study guides. The SRX one that I'm looking through right now is 500+ pages. Not to mention these come with full lab guides as well.

I do have to agree that I wish there were more study material available though. Having as many different resources as possible makes for easier learning. I would assume that as Juniper grows the study materials will take this route.
    So do you guys only use the Juniper documentation for your studies? I guess this is something i should be getting used to i suppose considering everyones use of the ciscodocs too.

Yea, somewhat along the lines of the lack of abundant study materials looking up the docs online is helpful. This will may of times give another point of view and can help me understand what I'm not currently understanding with the study mats I have.
    Im not trying to diss Juniper by any means :D infact i would love to study this cert as i will be working with SSGs in the near future.

No worries, I have to agree with you on many points. Especially in the regards that I would love to see more study materials available. Although even with the current study materials I haven't found it very limiting with learning the material and obtaining the higher level Juniper certs.

But more study material is always better :D
    "Bribe is such an ugly word. I prefer extortion. The X makes it sound cool."

-Bender