Options

Hyper V guest (using USB port)

aueddonlineaueddonline Member Posts: 611 ■■□□□□□□□□
I've got server 2008 installed with hyper V and was wondering if you can set it up so the guest OS can use the selected USB ports,

What i'd like to do is have a guest be a console server for some Cisco equipment, so the USB ports selected would only ever be used by the guest.

Anyone know how this is done?
What's another word for Thesaurus?

Comments

• Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Sadly it cannot be done... Neither with USB or with a COM port...
    From the Deployement Guide:
    "Each virtual machine is configured with 2 virtual serial (COM) ports that can be attached to a named pipe to communicate with a local or remote physical computer.
    Note
    No access to a physical COM port is available from a virtual machine."

http://download.microsoft.com/download/8/1/5/81556693-1f05-494a-8d45-cdeeb6d735e0/HyperV_Deploy.doc
  • Options
    astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    AnywhereUSB/5's are your friend in a virtualized data center.
  • Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Nice! Now that is cool...
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Nice! Now that is cool...

Definitely. Leave it to astorrs to come up with something that rocks icon_rolleyes.gificon_lol.gif
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    Considering the cost of the Ethernet-USB box, I'd just buy another PC or a real terminal server...
  • Options
    Tiersten, if we're talking about home use I agree. or if it's just for console access like the OP wanted a term server from any vendor makes more sense.

But in a production environment for USB ports I wouldn't want to give up the benefits of virtualization just to satisfy some obscure hardware req (like USB HASPs, etc). I've done the same with serial-over-IP boxes in the past too from Digi.
  • Options
    astorrs wrote: »
    Tiersten, if we're talking about home use I agree. or if it's just for console access like the OP wanted a term server from any vendor makes more sense.

But in a production environment for USB ports I wouldn't want to give up the benefits of virtualization just to satisfy some obscure hardware req (like USB HASPs, etc). I've done the same with serial-over-IP boxes in the past too from Digi.
    Yeah. For what the OP wanted I mean.
  • Options
    AnywhereUSB/5's are your friend in a virtualized data center.

Thanks for the posts guys

With the usbanywhere solution would there be any issue with drivers? for the USB-DB9/cisco-Serial cables I'm using, my problems is that I don't have a 64 bit driver which is one of the reasons I was hoping to us a 32bit guest (becasue I have a 32 bit driver for the cables).

I just had a thought I could run my terminal server within VMware workstation 6 on this server, I think that allows for the use of USBs
  • Options
    Thanks for the posts guys

With the usbanywhere solution would there be any issue with drivers? for the USB-DB9/cisco-Serial cables I'm using, my problems is that I don't have a 64 bit driver which is one of the reasons I was hoping to us a 32bit guest (becasue I have a 32 bit driver for the cables).

I just had a thought I could run my terminal server within VMware workstation 6 on this server, I think that allows for the use of USBs

just tried it, you can't install VMware workstation 6 while Hyper-V is running
  • Options
    just tried it, you can't install VMware workstation 6 while Hyper-V is running
    Correct as Hyper-V can't pass-through the CPU extensions. The reverse is possible though (running Hyper-V inside of Workstation 6.5). icon_cool.gif
  • Options
    bertiebbertieb Member Posts: 1,031 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Correct as Hyper-V can't pass-through the CPU extensions. The reverse is possible though (running Hyper-V inside of Workstation 6.5). icon_cool.gif

All this virtual in a virtual etc is enough to make my head hurt. I don't even know whats real anymore. I'm now fairly certain you are all (virtual) figments of my imagination. I need a lie down I've come over all funny icon_cyclops_ani.gif
    The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they are genuine - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    If it did let you install Workstation (which it doesn't), how would you connect your real USB ports to the VM that is running Workstation? Thats the exact problem you're trying to solve in the first place :)
  • Options
    tiersten wrote: »
    If it did let you install Workstation (which it doesn't), how would you connect your real USB ports to the VM that is running Workstation? Thats the exact problem you're trying to solve in the first place :)

you can use USBs on the host with workstation 6.5
  • Options
    you can use USBs on the host with workstation 6.5
    Yeah but the only way to run Workstation would be within a VM but not Hyper-V. Buy a cheap PC or terminal server if you just want to make a terminal server.

What chipset is inside the USB-serial adapter?
  • Options
    AlexwebAlexweb Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I've got server 2008 installed with hyper V and was wondering if you can set it up so the guest OS can use the selected USB ports,

What i'd like to do is have a guest be a console server for some Cisco equipment, so the USB ports selected would only ever be used by the guest.

Anyone know how this is done?

You can access your USB ports (as well as com ports) with the help of FabulaTech's "USB over Network".

Virtual Serial Port, Virtual Com Port, Serial over Ethernet, Network Serial Port, Serial Port Splitter