Options

MCITP - Server Administrator

veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
Hello Everyone,

I will be taking my Network+ in a week. From there I would like to start working on the MCITP Server Administrator. What is the best books for this path? I have been considering just buying a set from M$. Is that the best way to go? I have experience with 2003, so I have a decent base knowledge of M$ server.

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    crrussell3crrussell3 Member Posts: 561
    I am using the MS Press books for my journey to MCITP:SA (and then EA), and have found them to be pretty good. I have also read through the Exam Cram, Mcgraw Hill, and Sybex. I find the MS Press, to me, the better of the bunch.
    MCTS: Windows Vista, Configuration
    MCTS: Windows WS08 Active Directory, Configuration
  • Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I suggest you also get Server 2008 Unleashed. This is a really awesome book. It has a very good coverage of Active Directory and also covers features and roles in a very hands on way. When I took my exams for the MCITP EA it was the only book out. No exam guides or any thing. This was my only print source for study. I passed all of my tests in the mid to high 800s.
  • Options
    BradHBradH Member Posts: 160
    As for training videos the best one I have found for 70-640 was the CBT one.

But the MS Press books I have also used for my first two. 642 has a fair amount of IP so you should be fine with that doing your Network+.

Also you might want to look at the trainsignal videos as well has they do tend to provide a good foundation to the subjects but will not give you everything.

Claymoore has some excellent stickies also in this forum for the EA and SA paths. The technet VM's for 642 was a great assest
    EA Path - 70-643 - Passed - 70-680 - Passed - 70-647 - To Complete
  • Options
    AshenweltAshenwelt Member Posts: 266 ■■■■□□□□□□
    When I went to take my network infrastructure exam, I ran into a guy from MS. He was taking a Hyper-V test. Interestingly, he was one of the writers for an MS Press book on it. His comment was rather interesting.

He commented buy Sybex study guides. He went on to say all MS people study Sybex, because the cover a broader range of events.

I can say the MS press test guides, had I had no real expierence... would not have worked for me. But, I read a lot... and manage several servers that I had just migrated to 2008 last year... so that made it a bit easier.
    Ashenwelt
    -Always working on something...
    -The RepAdmin Active Directory Blog
  • Options
    I have yet to see a Sybex book that I did not like. So I have to second the post above. I have rarely used them as a primary source for study, though, because I really like to have the measureup tests for my initial phase of the test prep that I do.
  • Options
    I have looked on Amazon for a series from Microsoft. I cannot find any information on whether or not this is the latest series for MCITP Server Administrator certification or not.

Amazon.com: MCITP Self-Paced Training Kit (Exams 70-640, 70-642, 70-646): Server Administrator Core Requirements (PRO-Certification): Orin Thomas, Dan Holme, Mitch Tulloch, Ian McLean, Tony Northrup: Books
  • Options
    crrussell3crrussell3 Member Posts: 561
    I have looked on Amazon for a series from Microsoft. I cannot find any information on whether or not this is the latest series for MCITP Server Administrator certification or not.

Amazon.com: MCITP Self-Paced Training Kit (Exams 70-640, 70-642, 70-646): Server Administrator Core Requirements (PRO-Certification): Orin Thomas, Dan Holme, Mitch Tulloch, Ian McLean, Tony Northrup: Books

Yes that is the latest series available. Just make sure you look up the erratas for the books, as they are numerous.
    MCTS: Windows Vista, Configuration
    MCTS: Windows WS08 Active Directory, Configuration
  • Options

I'm not sure I understand your post. The book was published just over a year ago. I would not expect any major changes in the test objectives for the 70 series exams since then. And based on how the MCSE exams did not change in any major way with the introduction of Server 2003 R2, I would doubt there will be major changes in the exam objectives with the introduction of Server 2008 R2.

So, I would say yes. This is probably the most current information in print for the series of exams you are looking for.
  • Options
    Thanks everyone. I guess I will proceed this way after my Network+ test Monday. I expect to pass.

I am really looking forward to moving into the Microsoft 2008 certs. I have a spare PC I am planning to put 2008 on. :)
  • Options
    bsddaemon0bsddaemon0 Member Posts: 52 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I like the practice exams from SelfTestSoftware.
  • Options
    jamesp1983jamesp1983 Member Posts: 2,475 ■■■■□□□□□□
    im hopefully taking this test soon. I'm using the MS Press book and Transcender. I owe my passing of the 649 to the Transcender explanations.
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
  • Options
    PiersPiers Member Posts: 454 ■■■□□□□□□□

That's the one I've got on my desk, I like it..
    :study: Office 365 70-347 / 698 later
  • Options
    Piers wrote: »
    That's the one I've got on my desk, I like it..

Piers,

Any info on when the 70-680 is suppose to come out? I see you are eagerly awaiting it :)
  • Options
    PiersPiers Member Posts: 454 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Sometime in the fall no doubt, after the actual release.. my company is going to W7 by next year, so hoping to be ahead of that curve when the time comes.. I wouldn't say 'eagerly' :p
    :study: Office 365 70-347 / 698 later