Options

Wanting to set up test lab: 1 server, 3 workstations virtually

TryntotechitTryntotechit Member Posts: 108
I am wanting set up a test lab so I can study group policy for the 70-294. I don't know what software would be right. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Server- Win server 2003
1 desktop- xp
2 desktops- vista
Taking 70-294 very soon...again

Comments

• Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    Any recent virtualization package will do it. Hyper-V if you want Windows experience.
  • Options
    JBrownJBrown Member Posts: 308
    I am wanting set up a test lab so I can study group policy for the 70-294. I don't know what software would be right. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Server- Win server 2003
    1 desktop- xp
    2 desktops- vista

If you setting it up on a spare machine then free version of ESXi 3.5 - keep in mind this will wipe out your HDD-.
    If you setting it up on your desktop machine, then i would suggest you to go with VrtualBox or Virtual PC. VmWare Workstation is a powerhorse and it eats up a lot of CPU and RAM.
    Hyper-V is a headache in itself, you want to learn 70-294 not spend time figuring out why Hyper-v won't run correctly.
  • Options
    JBrown wrote: »
    If you setting it up on your desktop machine, then i would suggest you to go with VrtualBox or Virtual PC. VmWare Workstation is a powerhorse and it eats up a lot of CPU and RAM.
    I've not noticed VMware Workstation using any more memory or CPU for overhead than Virtual PC...
  • Options
    homerj742homerj742 Member Posts: 251
    I love workstation, I find the performance to be beyond my expectations.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I use Workstation as well. Virtual Box is a pretty slick solution for what it costs though ;)
  • Options
    I have a laptop with a 2 Ghz cpu and 2 gig of ram. Do u think that everything will run ok with this system?
  • Options
    You need more RAM. 2GB for 3 desktops and 1 server whilst also running the host OS isn't enough. You could probably squeeze it in but performance will be pretty bad...
  • Options
    How much ram? 3 or 4 gig? I am running xp but also have vista. I think xp pro can run either 3 or 4 gig of ram max. I could switch to vista I guess. How about processor speed.
  • Options
    crrussell3crrussell3 Member Posts: 561
    You need 512mb of ram to run each guest operating system at a minimum, including your host operating system.

I run windows xp with 4 gig ram, and have had 4 windows server 2008 enterprise running on virtual pc including my host operating system, and things were getting a little unstable and unresponsive.
    MCTS: Windows Vista, Configuration
    MCTS: Windows WS08 Active Directory, Configuration
  • Options
    Work out how much RAM you want for each VM you're going to run.

Amount of RAM in each VM + VM package overhead + Host OS RAM

You need a 64 bit OS to support more than 3GB of RAM. A 32 bit OS won't support more than roughly 3GB because it uses part of that last 1GB for memory mapped devices and other system functions.
  • Options
    Thanks everyone. My system has a 2 GB memory max...so I am revamping my plan. I guess I will try to run either vmware workstation or virtual box and only have 1 server and 1 to 2 clients running, adjusting what I need to. I have to figure out a way to setup a test lab and unfortunately I don't have the equipment to set one up physically. Virtually is going to be the only way. I will get things to work. Thanks to all the moderators and all the knowledgeable people on this site!!!!!
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I run most my servers with 256mb and my clients with 128. For 294, I'd definitely skip the Vista workstations and use more servers. You're going to want multiple sites, domains, etc. One client, maybe two, would be more than enough.