WGU Entrance exam

snokerpokersnokerpoker Member Posts: 661 ■■■■□□□□□□
Hello all,

I am hopefully going to become a WGU student soon. I was wondering if anyone here can provide feedback on the admissions test.... All I know is there is essay, some reading comprehention and math. Did anyone find it difficult or was it easy? Any insight on this would be great. I'm not totally stressed or anything, I just really want to pass it so I can pursue the degree program. Thanks everyone!

Comments

• veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    It's not hard. Don't let it worry you. Do try hard and don't let your self get distracted. Make sure you do well on the written part, that is taken seriously.
  • qwertyiopqwertyiop Member Posts: 725 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Just try to do your best. I have heard of people refer to it as easy but then again I have heard from people that wernt able to pass the entrance exam.
  • thomAZthomAZ Member Posts: 50 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hello all,

I am hopefully going to become a WGU student soon. I was wondering if anyone here can provide feedback on the admissions test.... All I know is there is essay, some reading comprehention and math. Did anyone find it difficult or was it easy? Any insight on this would be great. I'm not totally stressed or anything, I just really want to pass it so I can pursue the degree program. Thanks everyone!

The entrance exam is was not difficult at all for me. As long as you have basic writing and math skills you should be fine. The math like I said is really basic and the writing only required to write a 200 to 500 word essay which is not much. Good Luck!
    In Progress: Currently enrolled in WGU: Studying for Net+

Degree: A.A.S Electronic Systems Technology
  • snokerpokersnokerpoker Member Posts: 661 ■■■■□□□□□□
    thomAZ wrote: »
    The entrance exam is was not difficult at all for me. As long as you have basic writing and math skills you should be fine. The math like I said is really basic and the writing only required to write a 200 to 500 word essay which is not much. Good Luck!

Thanks for your input.
    Thanks for your input.

So how did the entrance exam go?
    I haven't taken it quite yet. My wife and I are waiting to hear back on a bid for a house and she might be getting laid off. I don't want to start the degree program and then have to stop or worry about the cost of it.
  • bwcartybwcarty Member Posts: 422 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You can take the entrance exam well before signing up for classes.. It has been several months since I did mine, and I'm just now ready to enroll.

Also, be sure to call WGU to ensure that your account is active and ready to take the entrance exam. I took a long time between applying for WGU and taking the entrance test, and when I was finally ready to take it one weekend, my account was deactivated.
    Help eradicate blood cancers with a donation to the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society.
    bwcarty wrote: »
    You can take the entrance exam well before signing up for classes.. It has been several months since I did mine, and I'm just now ready to enroll.

Also, be sure to call WGU to ensure that your account is active and ready to take the entrance exam. I took a long time between applying for WGU and taking the entrance test, and when I was finally ready to take it one weekend, my account was deactivated.

Thanks for the advice! I will call them in the next few days. Thanks again.
  • RichOneRichOne Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hello all,

I too am also in the hopes of becoming a WGU student. I will be taking the entrance exam within the next couple days so if anyone can offer helpful information, it would be appreciated.

AFAIK, from what I've read here, the test is all basic reading/writing/math, but may I ask from what perspective? I'm a little worried about gaining entrance since I can't afford to wait another six months in case I do not pass. Also its been awhile (a few years at least) since I've been to school.

Thanks!
    RichOne wrote: »
    I too am also in the hopes of becoming a WGU student. I will be taking the entrance exam within the next couple days so if anyone can offer helpful information, it would be appreciated.

AFAIK, from what I've read here, the test is all basic reading/writing/math, but may I ask from what perspective? I'm a little worried about gaining entrance since I can't afford to wait another six months in case I do not pass. Also its been awhile (a few years at least) since I've been to school.

Thanks!

Just be careful with the writing part. The rest isn't to bad if you did well in High School icon_wink.gif As for the writing part, do it in Word and then paste it in the online form.
    I passed....woot
  • SrSysAdminSrSysAdmin Member Posts: 259
    Can somebody please tell me what WGU is and what is so special about it?
    Current Certifications:

* B.S. in Business Management
    * Sec+ 2008
    * MCSA

Currently Studying for:
    * 70-293 Maintaining a Server 2003 Network

Future Plans:

* 70-294 Planning a Server 2003 AD
    * 70-297 Designing a Server 2003 AD
    * 70-647 Server 2008
    * 70-649 MCSE to MCITP:EA
  • cablegodcablegod Member Posts: 294
    JrSysAdmin wrote: »
    Can somebody please tell me what WGU is and what is so special about it?

WGU
    “Government is a disease masquerading as its own cure.” -Robert LeFevre
    cablegod wrote: »

I already googled it, thanks for the snarky response though.

When I googled it, it just linked to some online university that didn't have very high quality accreditation so I figured it was something else...just like USC can be U of Southern Cal or U of South Carolina, I thought maybe there was a WGU that was for a legit university rather than just the online one.

Why would somebody be worried about a test for entrance into an online university?
    Current Certifications:

* Sec+ 2008
    * MCSA

Currently Studying for:

Future Plans:

* 70-647 Server 2008

When I googled it, it just linked to some online university that didn't have very high quality accreditation so I figured it was something else...just like USC can be U of Southern Cal or U of South Carolina, I thought maybe there was a WGU that was for a legit university rather than just the online one.

Why would somebody be worried about a test for entrance into an online university?

See, that's what happens when you just assume things. WGU is HIGHLY accredited. There are many WGU students on this board. If they weren't highly accredited, they wouldn't be as popular as they are.
  • SephStormSephStorm Member Posts: 1,731 ■■■■■■■□□□

Genius. Western Governors University is nationally accredited by the Distance Education and Training Council (DETC). WGU is also regionally accredited by the Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities, one of the major accrediting commissions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education and the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA).

The WGU Teachers College is the first and only exclusively online provider of teacher education to receive accreditation from the National Council for the Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE). The NCATE accrediting team extensively reviewed the entire WGU Teachers College curriculum to ensure that "candidates have the knowledge and skills to be effective in helping all students learn." NCATE is the premier specialized accrediting body for teacher preparation and is recognized by the U.S. Department of Education. It accredits colleges of education that produce over two-thirds of the nation’s new teacher graduates annually.

WGU’s nursing degree programs are now accredited by the Commission for Collegiate Nursing Education

Western Governors University is considered to be the only university to receive simultaneous recognition from four regional accrediting commissions, due primarily to the fact that the University was a collaboration between many state governors spanning a large geographic area. I highly suggest looking at the wikipedia article, which is well referenced, as well as this thread here with users from this forum.

Western Governors University - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://www.techexams.net/forums/jobs-degrees/30564-western-governors-university.html
  • twodogs62twodogs62 Member Posts: 393 ■■■□□□□□□□
    WGU has high accreditation. The four regions.
    Check out the sponsors of WGU. Some big tech companies and I believe 16 Governors have formed this university.

Everything is going online, so this will be the future. Distance learning, online, etc....

So far, a co-worker is attending for his master and he is pleased.
  • TheShadowTheShadow Member Posts: 1,057 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I believe you are about to step in it jrSysAdmin. Not everyone broadcasts what they have done and what they are going to do with so much screen real estate. Indicates sharp and shiny. I for example only care about what I have done lately as nothing behind me matters much. It would not be nice to discourage people from seeking knowledge anyway that they can.

Most colleges now have some on-line programs, even the ivy league ones. There is a hint that you might have a problem with that. Wish they were around when I did my degrees which are pretty much useless to me now. Not much call for vacumn tube and transistor work; Cobol and Algol either. I guess the humanities classes were useful so that I know when the fat lady is about to sing.
    Who knows what evil lurks in the heart of technology?... The Shadow DO
    Sorry guys, I wasn't trying to get under people's skin. If the guy who posted the snarky response would have just given me the information you guys did, I wouldn't have made that response.

In regards to the accreditation, I guess it just depends on your opinion. For instance, while the nursing degree program mentioned is accredited by the Commission for Collegiate Nursing Education...what is widely considered the best nursing accreditation is the National League for Nursing, which is one of the things I was basing my opinion on.

I don't have anything against online universities as one of my parents happens to be very high up in one of the largest online schools. The entire reason that parent was brought on board was because of the accreditation they had achieved for the continuing education for adults program they were dean of before leaving for the online school they currently run.

I stand corrected about WGU. I'm actually going to go do more research about it now as it has piqued my interest...right after I pass this cert test.
    Current Certifications:

* Sec+ 2008
    * MCSA

Currently Studying for:

Future Plans:

* 70-647 Server 2008
  • msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Sorry guys, I wasn't trying to get under people's skin. If the guy who posted the snarky response would have just given me the information you guys did, I wouldn't have made that response.

I always thought being able to do your own research was a trait pretty much required by anyone who desires to be successful in this industry, especially something as simple as researching basic questions on a school.
    I always thought being able to do your own research was a trait pretty much required by anyone who desires to be successful in this industry, especially something as simple as researching basic questions on a school.

That's exactly why I let the "snarky" comment fly. Nothing more.
  • SephStormSephStorm Member Posts: 1,731 ■■■■■■■□□□

And like I said, I had already done the research but I didn't think the online school that I saw was the same school you guys were talking about as previously mentioned. There are more than one meaning for a lot of acronyms (like USC which I already brought up).
    Current Certifications:

* Sec+ 2008
    * MCSA

Currently Studying for:

Future Plans:

* 70-647 Server 2008
    SephStorm wrote: »
    Hey, we're all humans.

Except for me. :)
  • petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    I found the entrance exam challenging, but doable. I had to think back a bit to high school English to get some of the grammar questions. I had to sit and think on a couple math questions, but math is not my strong point anyway. Still ended up passing.

I would say the previous post that suggested doing the essay in Word and pasting it in was on target. I'd also second WGU's suggestion-- do the exam in a quiet setting. This is definitely NOT something to work on in a room with boisterous kids and a blasting TV!
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
    petedude wrote: »
    I would say the previous post that suggested doing the essay in Word and pasting it in was on target. I'd also second WGU's suggestion-- do the exam in a quiet setting. This is definitely NOT something to work on in a room with boisterous kids and a blasting TV!

Agreed...
  • fly351fly351 Member Posts: 360
    Hey, I was wondering if you guys could tell me how much time is given to complete the entrance exam?

Thanks!
    CCNP :study:
  • Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    More time than you need ( i cant remember if its even timed)

If you can't do it in less than 45mins or so, you probably should forget about a BS.
  • fly351fly351 Member Posts: 360
    Passed. icon_lol.gif
    CCNP :study:
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    fly351 wrote: »
    Passed. icon_lol.gif
    Congrats, so when are u gonna start?
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.