Options

What would you do?

ssjaronx4ssjaronx4 Member Posts: 37 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi all,

In a bit of a bind. Been looking for a job for a few months now after being made redundent. Finally got a job offer today with medium sized company. The people are great, the job has would be helpdesk work at first but being a smallish, expanding company there will be lots of different things to get involved in and a great deal of scope to grow over time .

I was really excited about the position however I went for an interview with a different company today and im now confused. The company is one of the biggest messaging concultencies in the UK and the job would be 2nd line support for symantec products and exchange. When I applied for the job I didnt think I would get it as I dont have the exact skills they were looking for however, I went to the interview and aced the technical questions and got on well with the interviewers. The company called the recruiter a few minutes after I left and said they definitely wanted me back for a second interview.

So heres the problem. The job offer that I have wants me to go up and sign the contract for the position tomorrow. I asked for some time to think over the position but they really need to get me on board and starting monday. I also tried to get the 2nd interview for the concultency job brought forward however they couldnt do any earlier then friday. The job offer that I have been made would be an excellent job wth great pay, benefits and an oportunity to expand my skills over the long term. The concultency has some very technical people and I know working there Id learn alot. It would also povide me with the perfect career path to what I want to be doing in the future.

It looks like I have a choice of taking the job I have or turning it down and risking it all on a job I have no garentee ill get.

Would would you do?

Comments

• Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Take the first one and be thankful, it doesn't sound like a bad gig and you need a job.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    ssjaronx4 wrote: »
    Hi all,

In a bit of a bind. Been looking for a job for a few months now after being made redundent. Finally got a job offer today with medium sized company. The people are great, the job has would be a bit basic 1st \ 2nd line helpdesk work at first but being a smallish, expanding company there will be lots of different things to get involved in and a great deal of scope to grow over time .

I was really excited about the position however I went for an interview with a different company today and im now confused. The company is one of the biggest messaging concultencies in the UK and the job would be 2nd line support for symantec products and exchange. When I applied for the job I didnt think I would get it as I dont have the exact skills they were looking for however, I went to the interview and aced the technical questions and got on well with the interviewers. The company called the recruiter a few minutes after I left and said they definitely wanted me back for a second interview.

So heres the problem. The job offer that I have wants me to go up and sign the contract for the position tomorrow. I asked for some time to think over the position but they really need to get me on board and starting monday. I also tried to get the 2nd interview for the concultency job brough forward however they couldnt do any earlier then friday. The job offer that I have been made would be an excellent job wth great pay, benefits and an oportunity to expand my skills over the long term. The concultency has some very technical people and I know working there Id learn alot. It would also povide me with the perfect career path to what I want to be doing in the future.

It looks like I have a choice of taking the job I have or turning it down and risking it all on a job I have no garentee ill get.

Would would you do?

What do you mean by sign the contract? Is this not at will employment?
  • Options
    darkerosxxdarkerosxx Banned Posts: 1,343
    Yeah, if they refuse to let you wait, then make sure they're not doing anything to prevent you from taking the other position should you get the offer.

It's not a totally uncommon situation. Take what you can get when you can get it.
  • Options
    ssjaronx4ssjaronx4 Member Posts: 37 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Cheers for the replys. I went up to the company I got the offer from yesterday and picked up the contract. They showed me around the office and showed me some of the infrustructure. They want me to sign it and come in to start Monday.

I spoke to the recruitment agent about the concultency job and I'm still going to go to the second interview on Friday. He's fully aware of my situation so has been cool about things. I asked him how many people have got through to the second interview stage so I could get a feel for the chances of me getting the role. He said I am the only one. 13 people have interviewed for the position so far and no one has got past the first stage. He is the main recruitment agent for the company and has dealt with alot of the people who have gotten jobs there over the last two years including the IT director and service desk manager. He said that they are very picky about who they take on and that the fact that I got past the first interview shows I have a very good chance of getting the role as long as I don't muck up the next interview. He said that with all the recruitment hes done for the company he has never had the company ring him so quickly after the interview to get a candidate back.

So I guess I'm just going to have to go to the interview and see what happens. I'm going to totally grill them on what the job entails and the career prospects as the job I've already been offered is an excellent one and although it won't be extremely challenging from the get go its definiely somewhere I can see myself staying and progressing over the next few years with some great people and lots of opportunites over the longer term.

I guess I could use this opportunity to see if anyone has had any dealings with the company I'm interviewing with. The companys name is bluesource. Any know anything about them or had any dealings with them?