2 more tests to go and its killing me

coax31coax31 Member Posts: 117 ■■■□□□□□□□
I need motivation I have to study for and take 70-298 and 70-620 to finish my MCSE. My last test 70-294 drained me because I failed it 5 times and passed on the 6th try back in April. I can see the light at the end of the tunnel just need to give it that last push. After that ICND2, VCP, and upgrade my MCSE 2003 to MCITPEA.

Comments

• Agent6376Agent6376 Member Posts: 201
    The good news is that 70-298 will not introduce any actual new material into the picture. This exam will just test you on all of the knowledge you learned from some of the other exams. To be honest, I've been studying for 70-298 for the last week and a half and the information that is most valuable IMO are topics from 70-291/70-293. I see quite a bit about certificates, wireless encryption, and group policy management. This is the light at the end of the tunnel, but keep in mind that you've learned all there is to learn (as it pertains to MCSE) about Server 2003 at this point. You're now in a position to look down the hill, and not up it. Turn off your TV, turn off the music, read your objectives for the exam, and get a general feel for the information you're about to study for. Once you feel like you've sized it up fairly well, set your exam date and buy your voucher.

Joo can do eet!
  • RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I agree with agent6376 on this, but I would add that material from the 290 and 270 also came into play around security templates. One book I really enjoyed while studying for this exam was Amazon.com: Professional Windows Desktop and Server Hardening (Programmer to Programmer): Roger A. Grimes: Books

I don't think it really assisted much with the actual exam, per se, but I did get good information that I still use today.
  • bikeandskibikeandski Member Posts: 69 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I feel exactly the same way regarding completing my MCSA, not motivated. Even though I realize how important this cert could be for me... I'm buried at work with server migrations, but not really happy with where I'm at currently and need to get busy with my MCSA and MCSE. Then add family life which is very important to me and it really makes it difficult. Don't get me wrong, I know it's possible to work full time with a family and still knock out certs, I'm just not there mentally recently. I wish I was though....
  • Agent6376Agent6376 Member Posts: 201
    bikeandski wrote: »
    I feel exactly the same way regarding completing my MCSA, not motivated. Even though I realize how important this cert could be for me... I'm buried at work with server migrations, but not really happy with where I'm at currently and need to get busy with my MCSA and MCSE. Then add family life which is very important to me and it really makes it difficult. Don't get me wrong, I know it's possible to work full time with a family and still knock out certs, I'm just not there mentally recently. I wish I was though....

I think you're like me and we hit strides. When I'm really into the material, I can't wait to get home each day and dive into my studies. Other times it's like a chore. Right now I'm ready to be done with 70-298 so I can dive into Exchange, but we'll see how that goes tomorrow morning at 9am.
  • mikedisd2mikedisd2 Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Sounds like a lot of us are in the same boat. The frustration of things not working out, ie. lousy job, bad job prospects, lack of time, etc can really burn up energy and focus. Currently I'm on 70-291 again which I failed multiple times 18 months ago. Had to give up and go onto something else.

Do you guys have a bigger picture goal? Certs = better job = $$ = financial freedom/nicer house/new beginning etc... or something.
  • snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    mikedisd2 wrote: »
    Sounds like a lot of us are in the same boat.

room for one more? icon_lol.gif

im slowly starting the climb up the study hill. I have been setting daily and weekly goals for studying, and meeting them. Sooner or later, Ill get in a groove. Whats killing me is the material ATM. I think im starting to get into the book topics im actually interested in. Its a grind, but its apparent that we are not alone icon_cool.gif

hang in there!
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • bwcartybwcarty Member Posts: 422 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm down to my last exam for MCSE, and I'm having a hard time getting motivated to get my studying in. Between work, family (including a wild two year old), training for my first triathlon, I don't have the mental or physical energy to put into 70-293 now.
    Help eradicate blood cancers with a donation to the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society.
  • RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    bwcarty wrote: »
    I'm down to my last exam for MCSE, and I'm having a hard time getting motivated to get my studying in. Between work, family (including a wild two year old), training for my first triathlon, I don't have the mental or physical energy to put into 70-293 now.

Hey, there is only so much time in each day. It sounds like your plate is already pretty full, and it's a question of priorities. Certification is not really an end of itself... It should be a means to and end (a better job, a promotion, acknowledgement of skill, showing how 1337 you really are, etc). If you are happy in your current position and don't require it for a raise or anything like that, then it should be one of the last things on your list with 2 year old in the house!