Options

New Job

I just wanted to share this great news, it looks like my long vacation is over, after speaking to the HR person today, I was advised that I cleared all background/drug test, and now just awaiting an offer letter.

I will be working as a Systems Administrator, primarily a Windows/Exchange shop, with Symantec backup, VMWare/Hyper-V virtualization, and a NAS/SAN storage, I will also be acting as desktop support guy, when the desktop guys needs escalation.

I was offered 80K, since it is very reasonable I do not think I will be asking for more icon_cheers.gif

Comments

• Options
    XcluzivXcluziv Member Posts: 513 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I just wanted to share this great news, it looks like my long vacation is over, after speaking to the HR person today, I was advised that I cleared all background/drug test, and now just awaiting an offer letter.

I will be working as a Systems Administrator, primarily a Windows/Exchange shop, with Symantec backup, VMWare/Hyper-V virtualization, and a NAS/SAN storage, I will also be acting as desktop support guy, when the desktop needs escalation.

I was offered 80K, since it is very reasonable I do not think I will asking for more icon_cheers.gif

Sounds Great to me.....icon_cheers.gificon_cheers.gificon_cheers.gificon_cheers.gif.......keep me in the loop
    LINKED | GTECH | NOTHINGBUTSHAREPOINT - BLOG AUTHOR

"TRY NOT. DO. OR DO NOT. THERE IS NO TRY" - Yoda

• Options
    pennystraderpennystrader Member Posts: 155
    That sounds like a good job and you have some good technology for learning, resume and skill building for yourself. Good work and congratulations.

The more knowledge one obtains the more there is too accumulate.....

• Options
    BroadcastStormBroadcastStorm Member Posts: 496
    That sounds like a good job and you have some good technology for learning, resume and skill building for yourself. Good work and congratulations.

Thanks, wow I just noticed you have a VCP certification, did you paid for that?
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congratulations!! icon_cheers.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Congrats. I hope it makes you, your wallet/bank account very happy once again.
  • Options
    rsuttonrsutton Member Posts: 1,029 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Congratulations!
  • Options
    vColevCole Member Posts: 1,573 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Congrats and good luck :)
  • Options
    The original offer of 80K doesn't look it's being honored, instead I got an offer letter for 67K and a 10K increase after 3 months that is not on writing.

How would one deal with this?

I currently resides in Irvine area where cost of living is extremely high.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    The original offer of 80K doesn't look it's being honored, instead I got an offer letter for 67K and a 10K increase after 3 months that is not on writing.

How would one deal with this?

I'd try to talk them up to the original offer. If worse comes to worse I would take what they are willing to offer if you need work. If you are already comfortable in your current job I'd pass it up if they are not going to honor their verbal offer on paper. Doesn't sound like the kind of company I'd want to work for.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    I'd try to talk them up to the original offer. If worse comes to worse I would take what they are willing to offer if you need work. If you are already comfortable in your current job I'd pass it up if they are not going to honor their verbal offer on paper. Doesn't sound like the kind of company I'd want to work for.

I really like to turn down this offer, I know I need a job, but I am still doing alot of interviews, and currently receiving the highes paid amount for my U.I.

If I ended up accepting the offer, I know somehow there will be apart of my unhappy with the situation, that I will end up leaving the job for someone that honor verbal words.
  • Options
    bjaxxbjaxx Member Posts: 217
    I really like to turn down this offer, I know I need a job, but I am still doing alot of interviews, and currently receiving the highes paid amount for my U.I.

If I ended up accepting the offer, I know somehow there will be apart of my unhappy with the situation, that I will end up leaving the job for someone that honor verbal words.

Tough decision, seems shady that they would rescind offer, could this happen again in the future?

If you are comfortable with bills being unemployed and have some good interviews coming up, why not roll the dice and don't accept the offer and put the ball back in there court. Remember there job is to get you as cheap as they can.
    "You have to hate to lose more than you love to win"
  • Options
    bjaxx wrote: »
    Tough decision, seems shady that they would rescind offer, could this happen again in the future?

If you are comfortable with bills being unemployed and have some good interviews coming up, why not roll the dice and don't accept the offer and put the ball back in there court. Remember there job is to get you as cheap as they can.

1. Original offer got rescinded.

2. Who's to say that the 10K increase after 3 months that is not on writing will also not be rescinded.
  • Options
    How would you guys write down an email asking them to honor the verbal offer?
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I would take the job contingent on them putting the 10K raise after 90 days in writing. Not sure how I would phrase it though.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...