Options

How to Disable Service Banners

aneelrahimaneelrahim Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
Dear All,

I have a question regarding disabling the Service banners of HTTP, HTTPS, SMTP, and Windows OS. Which services i should stop so that an attacker could not get Service Banners of the above mentioned services.

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    unsupportedunsupported Member Posts: 192
    First, welcome to TechExams. Technically, this forum is not the appropriate place for this post, because this forum is for the Certified Ethical Hacker and Cerified Something Hacking Investigator, but I'll take a stab at it anyway.

Your question is kind of open ended because the options are different for different OSs and applications. Since you mentioned Microsoft, I will assume you are also referring to Exchange and IIS.

For Exchange and STMP, go to How to change the POP3 / IMAP4 and SMTP banner in Exchange 2003.

For IIS and HTTP and HTTPs, a good article is here, https://www.port80software.com/products/servermask/serveranonymization.asp. Also

Just remember, there is more than one way to get version information. For example, default error pages on IIS or even a simple port scan of the server.

I am sure there are better articles out there, but this is just what I found on a quick search of the interwebz. If you need more help you can try, Let me google that for you
    -un

“We build our computer (systems) the way we build our cities: over time, without a plan, on top of ruins” - Ellen Ullman