Options

How long do I wait???

Paul MPaul M Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi all. I applied for a job a month and a half ago with a large organisation. I went for my first interview two weeks after that. This interview was a two hour epic with the HR manager and the IT director. The director told me that two candidates would be chosen and would meet with the line manager to decide.
After I called them a few days later I was told I was unsuccessful. I was then called a week later saying there was a mix up and I was in fact coming back for a second interview. The interview was great, it seemed like a formality before they offered the job to me. That was a week ago now! I called HR three days ago and they hadn’t heard anything and said I would get a response soon…
What’s going on… Should I call again??? Should I contact the IT department???
I really need this job but don’t want to sound desperate… Some advice would be excellent

Comments

• Options
    KaminskyKaminsky Member Posts: 1,235
    Been in this situation many times and it is frustrating but bear in mind that the guy saying yes wil have to do a lot of internal paperwork, then sort out where you are going to sit, induction, etc, etc. That is in amongst all their other day to day work, crisese, meetings, annual leave, sickness, etc. It may be they are waiting on Finance to rubber stamp the whole thing to get the above process started.

In answer to your question though, if you are already working elsewhere, you will need to give notice and therfore could use some information to help with your own planning to come into the job. Even if you are not already working, you will need to get things ready to start working so it is not unreasonable to want information from HR so don't appologise for phoning as that will sound needy, but just ask if someone could contact you.

I ended up waiting 5 weeks for the job I am in now but was working at the time so it wasn't too much of a problem.

Just hang on in there and try not to let your frustration show but don't bug them every day. Once a week maybe 2 at a push.
    Kam.
  • Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    Don't stop searching.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    Paul MPaul M Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hey thanks Kam. Some wise words there.

Yes, the thought had crossed my mind regarding the internal factors for employing someone, however I am new to the UK and things happened a lot faster where I come from lol.

HR actually said they would contact me by the end of the week otherwise to call Mon-Tue. They also mentioned that the HR manager is away till Mon, so maybe I should wait till Mon to call back.

I am in fact unemployed due to recently arriving, and the whole job search process is tough here, especially when it comes to applying via agencies!

Thanks again.
  • Options
    AldurAldur Member Posts: 1,460
    It can take what seems like an obscene amount of time to hear back from a possible employer. It took 2-3 months and 8 or 9 interviews for the current job that I'm at and there was plenty of times when I was going stir crazy waiting for a call back. Especially with how the economy has been lately it may take extra upper level approval to get the sign off on hiring you.

I agree with what Kam had to say, there's lots of internal work that is involved and so it could take longer then you possible expect.

It would be nice to get some yes or no while the process is happening so you just weren't sitting there biting your nails off icon_confused.gif
    "Bribe is such an ugly word. I prefer extortion. The X makes it sound cool."

-Bender
  • Options
    laidbackfreaklaidbackfreak Member Posts: 991
    Paul M wrote: »
    HR actually said they would contact me by the end of the week otherwise to call Mon-Tue. They also mentioned that the HR manager is away till Mon, so maybe I should wait till Mon to call back.

Paul, theirs your answer mate, it's holiday season here in the UK and things slow down a tad.
    If I was in your shoes I'd now wait till Tuesday before calling, if the guys on holiday he's gonna need a day to catch up on paperwork on his return.

Do they know your not working? If not they will be expecting you to have to give notice before starting, so assuming you get an offer ask them for the earliest start date. Dont forget they may not have budgeted for a start till a month or so off yet.

Hang in there but keep applying for roles, the markets pretty tough in London right now (as it is everywhere)
    good luck
    if I say something that can be taken one of two ways and one of them offends, I usually mean the other one :-)