Options

MS 70-652 and 70-403

ClaymooreClaymoore Member Posts: 1,637
So Microsoft has this Virtualization partner compentency that requires the 652 and 403 exams.

https://partner.microsoft.com/us/40108153
TS: Windows Server Virtualization, Configuring
TS: System Center Virtual Machine Manager 2008, Configuring

I have some free time right now and free Hyper-V e-learning that expires in a couple of weeks, so I thought I would take a serious look at Hyper-V and the exams. I already picked up the Sybex 652 study guide and a Hyper-V book, plus there is the free downloadable MS Virtualization book, but MS Press finally released the 70-652 MS Training Kit. The MSTK arrived yesterday and to my surprise, right there on the front cover it says it includes coverage of the MCTS 70-403 exam! I would say it's two training kits for the price of one, but the book has a $70 list price so it's more like two kits for the price of two.

These two exams, plus a possible VCP class in August, and my oft-delayed BCMSN exam for CCNA renewal should finish out the year cert-wise.

Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    You'll find 652 to be a breeze. I struggled with the SCVMM portion of it since I never used it (or even read about it), so if you're studying for that concurrently, you should be fine. Good luck!
  • Options
    stupidboystupidboy Member Posts: 470
    I have had to delay my 70-652 attempt (planned for today) until next Thursday (too much work).

I have the MS e-Learning and the Sybex book. The Sybex good is an easy read (I seem to be motoring though it which is unusual for me) and although dull the MS e-Learning is useful and informative.

I have recently also seen the partner competency and have been contemplating the 70-403 in a month or so (as CBT Nuggets is due for release Q3), so any information on route would be a great help icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    This was about all I used, with a little hands-on: http://www.techexams.net/forums/mcts-mcitp-windows-2008-general/32444-71-652-notes.html

You two geniuses shouldn't have any problem with all those resources.
  • Options
    dynamik wrote: »
    This was about all I used, with a little hands-on: http://www.techexams.net/forums/mcts-mcitp-windows-2008-general/32444-71-652-notes.html

You two geniuses shouldn't have any problem with all those resources.

No genius here (long way from it) just a lucky monkey icon_wink.gif I need all the help I can get ... and bananas ... yeah lots of bananas icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    stupidboy wrote: »
    No genius here (long way from it) just a lucky monkey icon_wink.gif I need all the help I can get ... and bananas ... yeah lots of bananas
    You should be all set now to pass that exam...

bananas.jpg
  • Options
    ROFL! All out of excuses now thanks astorrs icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    Its an easy exam.
  • Options
    Perhaps I should have finished eating all those bananas, I managed a 871 icon_cool.gif but the exam seemed harder that I had anticipated. I am glad this one is over and I can take a break from the MS exams for a while (I think)
  • Options
    Nice job!

I almost scheduled the 652 this week, but I decided on next Wednesday before I go on vacation. That way I will definitely take some time off after this exam.
  • Options
    Claymoore wrote: »
    Nice job!

I almost scheduled the 652 this week, but I decided on next Wednesday before I go on vacation. That way I will definitely take some time off after this exam.

Thanks.

Good luck with the exam, let us know how you fair.

Good plan on the timing, I did my 70-649 before I went away for a week. Passing the exam made the time away even better icon_cool.gif
  • Options
    Passed 652 this morning with an 828. Disappointed with the score as I only had to think about a few questions and there were only a couple that I wasn't sure about. Throughout my studies I never found the material particularly challenging and I didn't think the test was challenging. Either I am missing some key knowledge or I started skimming questions and fell victim to a couple of tricks - or both. I have to admit that my heart wasn't in this one and my preparation wasn't up to my usual standards with only 3 weeks between exams. Oh well, a pass is a pass.

I used the 70-652 MSTK, and it confusingly contains material for the 70-403 exam as well. The 403 material is mixed in with the 652 material, so unless you continually check the skills mapping section at the front of the book you never know which lesson applies to which exam. That makes it confusing if you are only preparing for 652 but it's nice to include 403 material for the same price.

There have been rumors about a Virtualization MCITP, but nothing definitive yet on MS Learning. In the introduction for this book, it states that it also includes material for the 70-693 Windows Server Virtualization Administrator exam. 70-693 isn't listed on the MS learning site yet, but I'm betting that will be the Pro exam for the MCITP.

Up next - a break. That's 7 MS exams so far this year and it's time for a break from Microsoft. I'm taking some vacation time for my wedding and honeymoon first, and then I'll either take the rest of the summer off from cert studies or finish up the BCMSN to renew my CCNA before it expires.
  • Options
    Passed 652 this morning with an 828. Disappointed with the score as I only had to think about a few questions and there were only a couple that I wasn't sure about. Throughout my studies I never found the material particularly challenging and I didn't think the test was challenging. Either I am missing some key knowledge or I started skimming questions and fell victim to a couple of tricks - or both. I have to admit that my heart wasn't in this one and my preparation wasn't up to my usual standards with only 3 weeks between exams. Oh well, a pass is a pass.

Congratulations icon_cheers.gif
    I used the 70-652 MSTK, and it confusingly contains material for the 70-403 exam as well. The 403 material is mixed in with the 652 material, so unless you continually check the skills mapping section at the front of the book you never know which lesson applies to which exam. That makes it confusing if you are only preparing for 652 but it's nice to include 403 material for the same price.

Are you going to do the 403 exam at a later date?
    There have been rumors about a Virtualization MCITP, but nothing definitive yet on MS Learning. In the introduction for this book, it states that it also includes material for the 70-693 Windows Server Virtualization Administrator exam. 70-693 isn't listed on the MS learning site yet, but I'm betting that will be the Pro exam for the MCITP.

That's very interesting, I think I have to keep an eye out on this one.
    Up next - a break. That's 7 MS exams so far this year and it's time for a break from Microsoft. I'm taking some vacation time for my wedding and honeymoon first, and then I'll either take the rest of the summer off from cert studies or finish up the BCMSN to renew my CCNA before it expires.

Enjoy your break, mine disappeared when I heard Windows 7 is ready for the taking icon_wink.gif