Options

Use of M$ instead of MS

RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
Ok, to start off I am not posting this to offend anybody. I support every member's right to criticize whomever they choose. But I also have the right to be a whiny beeotch and give my view on this...

I think it is funny that people with a number of MS certifications, who clearly make their bread and butter supporting MS products, use M$ in their posts. What exactly is the criticism? I’d just like to spark a little conversation on it. I can understand the usage from a hard core open source/Linux fanatic who would never even consider dating a girl (as if!) who had used Windows because she had been contaminated. But as a person with MS certs, I find myself defending MS more than criticizing because I do not want to bite the hand that feeds me and because I actually like their products.

For example, I think MS made some mistakes with the system requirements for Vista. They should have been ramped up. 2GB RAM should have been the minimum recommended and 2 GHz should have been the minimum processor speed; although I run business, optimized for best performance, on a Pentium 4 with 1 GB RAM and it works fine. But I believe that Vista’s issues have been over blown by Apple with their Mac commercials. “Ha, ha… Vista sucks.”

What do you all think?

Comments

• Options
    msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I think it's silly really, I have some gripes about the company myself but I can find something to gripe about with just about any company. It's hypocritical to complain about the business practices Microsoft uses M$ or otherwise criticizes the company in a non-constructive manner yet holds certifications from Microsoft, probably in an attempt to better their career and earn a higher wage.

I'm all for making constructive complaints, but just throwing a little quip as a bash on Microsoft in your signature - right next to your MS certs listed under your avatar is a bit odd.
  • Options
    binarysoulbinarysoul Member Posts: 993
    I find myself defending MS more than criticizing because I do not want to bite the hand that feeds me and because I actually like their products.

Personally, I wouldn't defend any corporation, be it M$ GM, or whatever on the basis that it "feeds me" as you say. It's God, our intelligence and hard work that feed us, not corporations. Just my 2 cents :) Having said that, I don't dislike M$ products. Be ready for this thread to get really hotttt :)
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I fixed my cert list. Are you happy now?
  • Options
    binarysoulbinarysoul Member Posts: 993
    dynamik wrote: »

LOL! I expected this thread to get hot!
  • Options
    aordalaordal Member Posts: 372
    haha,
    It's obviously just a joke!
  • Options
    eMeSeMeS Member Posts: 1,875 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I'm not sure that M$ is always intended to be derogatory. I always just see it as a shortcut, after all, "MS" belongs to me, not Microsoft. Shouldn't they be "MSFT"?

I once worked with someone that was super hardcore christian. This person was offended by the word "XMAS" because she felt it was "crossing out the name of Christ". She was serious.

Personally I don't get it, if someone called IBM "Super Suck Ass Mountain", would I really care, as whatever words someone chooses to describe something has zero impact on me.

MS
  • Options
    brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
    eMeS wrote: »
    I once worked with someone that was super hardcore christian. This person was offended by the word "XMAS" because she felt it was "crossing out the name of Christ". She was serious.

Jesus Christ!

Thats particularly funny, given that wasnt even his real name, and it wasnt his real birthday.
  • Options
    skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    Personally I don't get it, if someone called IBM "Super Suck Ass Mountain", would I really care, as whatever words someone chooses to describe something has zero impact on me.
    icon_lol.gif OMG, that's just beautiful...and I didn't realize I wasn't the only one to call them that. icon_wink.gif
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
  • Options
    ROFLMAO! I love it. icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    I always just see it as a shortcut, after all, "MS" belongs to me, not Microsoft.

I refer to you as eMe$ behind your back as well. Basically any person or organization that is well-off gets that treatment. Excuse me for being bitter, petty and jealous...
  • Options
    brad- wrote: »
    Jesus Christ!

Thats particularly funny, given that wasnt even his real name, and it wasnt his real birthday.
    It is even sillier since the X in Xmas has its root in the days of writing manuscripts when it was common to take shortcuts like that and the X represented the first letter in the word "christos" in its greek spelling. Not taking the Christ out of Christmas, it is just using his "initials."
  • Options
    brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
    It is even sillier since the X in Xmas has its root in the days of writing manuscripts when it was common to take shortcuts like that and the X represented the first letter in the word "christos" in its greek spelling. Not taking the Christ out of Christmas, it is just using his "initials."

Nice catch. I did not know that.
  • Options
    I refer to you as eMe$ behind your back as well. Basically any person or organization that is well-off gets that treatment. Excuse me for being bitter, petty and jealous...

That's funny, I call you (andrew)prick. The (andrew) part is silent.

MS
  • Options

Yeah, I used to kick that dead horse around quite a bit...lots of inconsistencies in people like that...

MS
  • Options
    astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    ROFL! icon_lol.gif

a$torrs
  • Options
    astorrs wrote: »
    ROFL! icon_lol.gif

a$torrs

You missed a $ :D

I suppose just a $ is better than using 1337 speak or whatever they call it.

|\/|$t31|\|h1lb3R or whatever... yea, I'm cool now.
  • Options
    astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    You missed a $ :D

I suppose just a $ is better than using 1337 speak or whatever they call it.

|\/|$t31|\|h1lb3R or whatever... yea, I'm cool now.
    one seemed silly enough. :)

0n3 s33m3d s1LLy 3n0ugh. :)

0|\|3 s33|\/|3d s1|_|_'/ 3|\|0|_|6#. :)
  • Options
    astorrs wrote: »
    one seemed silly enough. :)

0n3 s33m3d s1LLy 3n0ugh. :)

0|\|3 s33|\/|3d s1|_|_'/ 3|\|0|_|6#. :)

It's really funny to drive down around down here and see people with "1337" written in shoe polish on their car windows, and know that they're not.

MS
  • Options
    itdaddyitdaddy Member Posts: 2,089 ■■■■□□□□□□
    for me it is not to cut down MS but it is funny we all know who is the M$? funny huh? that we all know who M$ is...I to have gripes about many companies but I am not one in favor of having M$ dominate the world..we need to have competition to have life thrive better..better prices and for sure better products!
    icon_study.gif
  • Options
    skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    It's really funny to drive down around down here and see people with "1337" written in shoe polish on their car windows, and know that they're not.

MS
    Hey, stop following me around! icon_wink.gif
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
  • Options
    snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□

MS

LOL!!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

THATS how you pronounce his name? Wow, funny how the english language works... :D

-$snadam aka 5N4D4|\/|
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • Options
    Yea, that's the Swedish pronunciation. I can't believe how culturally insensitive you all are...
  • Options
    itdaddyitdaddy Member Posts: 2,089 ■■■■□□□□□□

MS

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.giflOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    TravR1TravR1 Member Posts: 332
    Yea, that's the Swedish pronunciation. I can't believe how culturally insensitive you all are...

Funny you $aid that, I was called $pecifically "culturally in$en$itive" just ye$terday. I was a little worried it would go to HR, but doe$n't look like it.

$ometime$ I feel like a politican at work. Choo$e your word$ very... VERY carefully. It'$ like I'm in the Weimar Republic.
    Austin Community College, certificate of completion: C++ Programming.
    Sophomore - Computer Science, Mathematics
  • Options
    TravR1 wrote: »
    Funny you $aid that, I was called $pecifically "culturally in$en$itive" just ye$terday. I was a little worried it would go to HR, but doe$n't look like it.

$ometime$ I feel like a politican at work. Choo$e your word$ very... VERY carefully. It'$ like I'm in the Weimar Republic.

This is one of the few reasons I really love where I work now. Just 3 of us IT guy's and two technical trainers behind locked doors and we can be as crude and offensive towards each other as we want, it's just part of the family. Now if any of us were out with the rest of the pack, we'd have to put on a different tune or I'm sure HR would be cutting some staff :D
  • Options
    katakatakkatakatak Member Posts: 50 ■■□□□□□□□□
    man I miss the IT family! When I worked at a university, we had about 5 guys always together! IT is lonely when you are just by yourself at work!
  • Options
    TravR1TravR1 Member Posts: 332
    This is one of the few reasons I really love where I work now. Just 3 of us IT guy's and two technical trainers behind locked doors and we can be as crude and offensive towards each other as we want, it's just part of the family. Now if any of us were out with the rest of the pack, we'd have to put on a different tune or I'm sure HR would be cutting some staff :D

That sounds really nice !
    Austin Community College, certificate of completion: C++ Programming.
    Sophomore - Computer Science, Mathematics
  • Options
    I am so glad I posted this comment. This has been the funniest thread I have seen on this site. I am going down the list and giving you all rep points! Plus you all get awe$ome points in my own esteem.
  • Options
    Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    Let's just say that in our NOC, nothing is sacred, and if we ever had a female working in here, it'd be a sexual harassment suit waiting to happen.

I love my work environment
  • Options
    Let's just say that in our NOC, nothing is sacred, and if we ever had a female working in here, it'd be a sexual harassment suit waiting to happen.

The best part of my workplace is our tech trainers are both women, but we all dish it out equally - it's great :D

There are absolutely no boundaries :)