Options

Bundled crap

tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
Bleh. Sun are going to be bundling a trial of Carbonite backup with Java runtime downloads >< They've already got that stupid Yahoo toolbar in there. This isn't specific to Sun, Java or Carbonite. Everybody seems to feel the need to bundle in random crap with their software in the hopes that you'll blindly install it.

What happened to the days of downloading something and just getting what you downloaded? I know that they're getting commission on everything trial or ad click but its just annoying to have to deal with all this junk.

Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I can't think of anything that made me madder than when Desktop Stripper changed my toolbars. Unacceptable! icon_twisted.gif

Seriously though, I know what you mean. It's like Apple trying to sneak in Safari with iTunes. No thanks!
  • Options
    laidbackfreaklaidbackfreak Member Posts: 991
    right there with you on that, have noticed more and more with software installs, I'm forever un-ticking boxes for options(extra software\toolbars) that I dont want.

Kick backs huh.... they suck unless there coming my way of course icon_smile.gif
    if I say something that can be taken one of two ways and one of them offends, I usually mean the other one :-)
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I feel your pain. At least if you know what you are doing you can disable the extra crap. I fixed my father-in-law's computer not too long ago and he had so many damn tool bars on his internet explorer there was hardly any room for the web page to display. I sh*t you not, he had at least 15 tool bars that he had no idea where they came from.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
  • Options
    msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    This was the maximum I was able to install when I tried... toolbars are great, my browser was the uber search machine!!

http://www.techexams.net/forums/off-topic/37478-there-limitation-how-many-toolbars-you-can.html
  • Options
    NetAdmin2436NetAdmin2436 Member Posts: 1,076
    @ Dynamik's screen shot image

Yeah, that's crazy. I can't believe they are using Winzip on a Windows XP computer. icon_wink.gif
    WIP: CCENT/CCNA (.....probably)
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Yep it looked pretty much like that lol.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    aordalaordal Member Posts: 372
    Oh that makes me want to puke.
  • Options
    Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    strangely enough, I don't have any of these issues with Ubuntu.

<3 apt-get