Options

**Anybody have trouble getting a job because of a Tattoo??**

Icecube0045Icecube0045 Member Posts: 15 ■■■□□□□□□□
Out of curiosity, how many of you have tattoo's? Has any employers not hired you because of them? I have 2, both on each of my arms, but even with a short sleeve shirt, you cant see them. Anyone else? If so, where?

Comments

• Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
  • Options
    rsuttonrsutton Member Posts: 1,029 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I would assume that having a visible tattoo will not help you in that interview, unless you happen to get a really cool hiring manager.
  • Options
    vColevCole Member Posts: 1,573 ■■■■■■■□□□
    rsutton wrote: »
    I would assume that having a visible tattoo will not help you in that interview, unless you happen to get a really cool hiring manager.

I have a visible tattoo on my inner wrist. (Two stars)

I've worked in 2 Corporate offices without an issue. icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    jryantechjryantech Member Posts: 623
    I believe as long as you can cover them up with a long-sleeve dress shirt and slacks. I don't see why you can't have tattoos in a corporate environment. Obviously some hands/face/neck tattoos are the worst to have in a professional atmosphere.

But don't have different views then people. You will get ridiculed. Just look at my red status on these forums. "Not to be taken seriously".

As long as you don't have tattoos on your hands, face and neck and just agree with everyone you will be fine. icon_rolleyes.gif
    "It's Microsoft versus mankind with Microsoft having only a slight lead."
    -Larry Ellison, CEO, Oracle

Studying: SCJA
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    jryantech wrote: »
    I believe as long as you can cover them up with a long-sleeve dress shirt and slacks. I don't see why you can't have tattoos in a corporate environment. Obviously some hands/face/neck tattoos are the worst to have in a professional atmosphere.

But don't have different views then people. You will get ridiculed. Just look at my red status on these forums. "Not to be taken seriously".

As long as you don't have tattoos on your hands, face and neck and just agree with everyone you will be fine. icon_rolleyes.gif

I agree here (about the tattoos, I'm staying away from the other comments). As long as you can cover them up with professional attire it shouldn't be a big deal especially if you are not customer facing. That doesn't mean it won't be to some people though.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    jryantech wrote: »

You don't have to agree with everyone; you just need to be pleasant and have a good attitude. Totally agree with the tattoo advice.

On a related note, Mike, there will soon be a new picture thread when my piece is complete in a couple of weeks ;)
  • Options
    /usr/usr Member Posts: 1,768
    I have two tattoos on my right arm. Both can be covered with a short sleeve t-shirt. I've never had any trouble. In fact, you would be surprised how many comments I've gotten on them out in the field when someone has noticed them. People seem to be fairly open to that sort of thing now...

I will most likely end up getting sleeves at some point. If I choose to do so, I will do so with the understanding that it will become a necessity to wear long sleeve shirts when I'm trying to appear professional to a customer.

Just make intelligent decisions regarding tattoos and you'll be fine. If you want them, get them. It's your life to do with as you please. If someone is going to deny you a job that you're qualified to do because of a tattoo, do you really want to work for that person anyway? I wouldn't.
  • Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    rsutton wrote: »

My HR manager has at least 2 visbible tattoos... Of course working in manufacturing is a different environment. Since I have started working out again <grunt> mine now show from under my sleaves <pose>.

I also wanted to share this wonderful explanation of the locations where people get their tattoos:
    http://www.imagevat.com/uploads/small_TattoosExplainedByLocation.jpg
  • Options
    msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    If your ink is hidden, you won't have any troubles - and if they were to ask you about having any tattoos when they clearly cannot see any I would run away from the interview, I wouldn't want to work there.

I don't have any visible tattoos so they are hidden in the office, if there are any corporate events or out of office outings where I can wear shorts I do and nobody has mentioned anything.
  • Options
    /usr wrote: »
    I have two tattoos on my right arm. Both can be covered with a short sleeve t-shirt. I've never had any trouble. In fact, you would be surprised how many comments I've gotten on them out in the field when someone has noticed them. People seem to be fairly open to that sort of thing now... <etc>

Few Gen-Xers or younger are going to judge based on tattoos. I know very few people under the age of 35 and over the age of 20 who do NOT have tattoos or some sort of piercing.

It may not be acceptable to display in a professional setting, but it's no longer rebellious or even out of the ordinary. I had a mohawk and shoved a safety pin through my left nipple back when stuff like that got your @$$ kicked by skins in an alley.
  • Options
    eMeSeMeS Member Posts: 1,875 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I had a mohawk and shoved a safety pin through my left nipple back when stuff like that got your @$$ kicked by skins in an alley.

"left nipple"....pffftt, lame.
  • Options
    NuwinNuwin Member Posts: 75 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'm 27 and have no body mods.

Not against them at all though. I just don't like the "permanent" thing as it relates to tattoos so I chicken out.

As for the advice, I agree that if you can conceal them, there should be no issue. It shouldn't be an issue at all, but I think that some still carry a negative stigma of the colorful people out there.
    "By the power of Grayskull"
  • Options
    eMeS wrote: »
    "left nipple"....pffftt, lame.

I knew you would appriciate that. it goes well witht he L shaped tattoo on my forehead!

And it's still better than your pink, my little pony tattoo on your lower back... Can I buy you a drink, btw?
  • Options
    94jedi94jedi Member Posts: 177
    Nuwin wrote: »

Not against them at all though. I just don't like the "permanent" thing as it relates to tattoos so I chicken out.

As for the advice, I agree that if you can conceal them, there should be no issue. It shouldn't be an issue at all, but I think that some still carry a negative stigma of the colorful people out there.

same here. Sleeves look cool but tats just aren't my cup of tea. Of course, there are those tats that automatically classify you to a certain socio-economic class lol.
    HAIL TO THE REDSKINS!!!
  • Options
    Nuwin wrote: »

This pretty much confirms my point. I doubt many people under the age of 35 will prejudge someone just because they have a tattoo. Now they may based on what that tattoo is....

I would say in 5 to 10 years it will be so commonplace this thread will seem quaint.
  • Options
    rsuttonrsutton Member Posts: 1,029 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I agree with the age thing. I think however that you are limiting yourself by getting visible tatoo's, I know a lot of HR folks and IT managers that are over 35.

I don't think it's right I just have heard people comment about it so I know many still view it as improfessional or whatever. At the pinnacle of my youth I had 8 piercings. =)
  • Options
    eMeSeMeS Member Posts: 1,875 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I knew you would appriciate that. it goes well witht he L shaped tattoo on my forehead!

And it's still better than your pink, my little pony tattoo on your lower back... Can I buy you a drink, btw?

I have two teardrop tattoos beneath my left eye.

Coincidentally there have only been two jobs that I didn't get.

MS
  • Options
    TravR1TravR1 Member Posts: 332
    There are two guys on my group that have tats. Both of them are visible all the time and nobody says anything. One of the guys tats is a full sleeve. Also a girl over in sales has alot of tats up one leg.
    Austin Community College, certificate of completion: C++ Programming.
    Sophomore - Computer Science, Mathematics
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    if they were to ask you about having any tattoos when they clearly cannot see any I would run away from the interview
    If you were joining the Military or trying to become a police officer or prison guard, I could understand their reason for asking.....

But in a "normal job interview" I'd ask them if the work environment was that dangerous that they needed to know employee identifying marks. Then I'd follow up asking if I should be worried about my safety now if they need to find out identifying marks during the interview process.

I'd probably leave too, since a clueless interviewer is usually a sign of a clueless company.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    eMeS wrote: »
    I have two teardrop tattoos beneath my left eye.

Coincidentally there have only been two jobs that I didn't get.

MS

It is sad I cannot give eMeS nor Dynamic any more cool points... I have to "spread it around."
  • Options
    BradleyHUBradleyHU Member Posts: 918 ■■■■□□□□□□
    i have 3 tatts...and when i have on long sleeve shirts, you can see them. and i dont think you have to worry about tatts on a interview unless you're have them on your hands, if you're wearing short sleeves and you have them on your forearm/wrist area, or if you have them on ya neck/face area....

after i get the job, i stop worryin about my tatts showing or not...
    Link Me
    Graduate of the REAL HU & #1 HBCU...HAMPTON UNIVERSITY!!! #shoutout to c/o 2004
    WIP: 70-410(TBD) | ITIL v3 Foundation(TBD)