Options

Favorite Partitioning Tool

BreadfanBreadfan Member Posts: 282 ■■■□□□□□□□
What tool do you guys use to repartition your existing drives? I used to use Partition Magic back in the Windows 98 SE days but haven't used it since.

I am asking because I am about to set a dual-boot between XP and 7 and I don't have the wiggle room I would like. I have plenty of room on my logical drives (E, F, G) and want to move some of it over to my C drive to make room for the dual boot.

Any ideas? I didn't want to use any trial software like Acronis since I am not sure how long I will be using the dual boot and the funds are low so buying expensive software isnt option either icon_cry.gif

Thanks,

Breadfan
Mark Twain

“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven than I shall not go.

Comments

• Options
    paintb4707paintb4707 Member Posts: 420
    Hate to say it but Acronis Disk Director worked great for me. I use the enterprise version at work but the full version of home is only $50
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    paintb4707 wrote: »
    Hate to say it but Acronis Disk Director worked great for me. I use the enterprise version at work but the full version of home is only $50

Why does it pain you to give some love to Acronis? icon_lol.gif

That's what I use too.
  • Options
    dynamik wrote: »
    Why does it pain you to give some love to Acronis? icon_lol.gif

That's what I use too.

Because I've been having nothing but problems with True Image Enterprise and their support team is outsourced, email-based, and completely clueless.
  • Options
    RTmarcRTmarc Member Posts: 1,082 ■■■□□□□□□□
    That's what I use too.

Same here.
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    I've used GParted before with no problems. As per usual, backup your data first.
  • Options
    Thanks guys.

I am going to download the 15-day trial when I get home from work. I only need to resize the C partition anyway to accommodate both XP and 7RC1 dual-boot files and I will be golden. I was tired of running them in a VM.

My only other problem is I wanted to test the Windows 7 x64 on my real machine (and not in a vm) and of course you cant have a 32/64-bit dual-boot scenario.

Thanks again for the tips and hopefully it all will be good.
    Mark Twain

• Options
    Breadfan wrote: »
    Thanks guys.

I am going to download the 15-day trial when I get home from work. I only need to resize the C partition anyway to accommodate both XP and 7RC1 dual-boot files and I will be golden. I was tired of running them in a VM.

My only other problem is I wanted to test the Windows 7 x64 on my real machine (and not in a vm) and of course you cant have a 32/64-bit dual-boot scenario.

Thanks again for the tips and hopefully it all will be good.

If you're talking about Disk Director I don't think the trial lets you apply any changes. It just shows you the features it has.
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    Breadfan wrote: »
    Dual booting 32 bit and 64 bit should work.
  • Options
    Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
  • Options
    qwertyiopqwertyiop Member Posts: 725 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Gparted all the way.
    It's never given me any problems
  • Options
    wd40wd40 Member Posts: 1,017 ■■■■□□□□□□
    tiersten wrote: »
    Dual booting 32 bit and 64 bit should work.

Exactly.

on my current machine I have:
    Win Vista 32
    Windows XP 32
    Windows 7 64
    and ubuntu 64

Having 2 HDD's "one 80 GB + one 320 GB" helped.

you may need to use the boot manager to get the option to boot to windows XP.

I never used any "paid for" partition tools .. if I will need to backup my files to use them I think it would be better just to backup and format the machine to get exactly what you need.
  • Options
    L0gicB0mb508L0gicB0mb508 Member Posts: 538
    Gparted here for me as well. I really like Acronis products as well.
    I bring nothing useful to the table...
  • Options
    qwertyiopqwertyiop Member Posts: 725 ■■■□□□□□□□
    i like acronis but i also like that gparted is free and easy to use
  • Options
    Alif_Sadida_EkinAlif_Sadida_Ekin Member Posts: 341 ■■■■□□□□□□
    +1 for Gparted as well. It's free, fast, and easy to use. What more could you ask for?
    AWS: Solutions Architect Associate, MCSA, MCTS, CIW Professional, A+, Network+, Security+, Project+

BS, Information Technology
  • Options
    Well thanks for the replies guys. I found out when I got home (and I saw the post by Paintb too late) that the trial doesn't let you make changes.

What I did was do a Custom Install to my G:\ drive which holds misc stuff and my virtual machines for VMWare Workstation

It put the Windows 7 x64 install in it's own folder and has (for the most part) worked like a charm). The only real issues I have had is that my copy of Zone Alarm won't work on the 64-bit platform and I have had some instances where Windows wouldn't come out of Sleep mode correctly. Other than that, it has been unreal...and better than I expected. It's touch to gauge it when working on virtual hardware, etc. because I could not use Aero Glass, etc. with VM's stuff.

And so far not being able to put the 32-bit with the 64 bit, I think it gave me that error cause I was testing it inside VMWare and it's a limitation of that so I don't what I was thinking icon_redface.gif Thanks for setting me straight. I am glad I went with the 64-bit.
    Mark Twain

• Options
    vColevCole Member Posts: 1,573 ■■■■■■■□□□
    That's what I use too.

Same here. icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    joey74055joey74055 Member Posts: 216
    Acronis and Partition Magic.