DHCP Question

svansvan Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
I will be setting up a Windows 2003 Small Business Server running AD.

The domain will consist of 10 workstations and a printer.

The currently just have 2 workstation that connects to the internet wirelessly using a Netgear 54g router/modem. This router does DHCP and NAT.

My questions is, when i set up the domain, should i continue to allow the router to give DHCP, fix the router and servers address? or

Allow the server to provide all DHCP?

Please could some explain the pros and cons of each method and wheich one is best to go with?

Many thanks in advance :)

Comments

• henkkhenkk Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Nice question! I've been pondering it myself, since I'll be doing a similar setup soon with a PPPoE router that had DHCP and a Linux server.

I "THINK" you should let the Windows 2003 Server do the DHCP. For my home network, I have my WAN router do it, since I often work on the server machine and don't want to disconnect my housemates from the network.

Anyone else have any idea?

Henk
    great spirits often encounter violent opposition from mediocre minds - albert einstein
  • sab4yousab4you Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I would say setup DHCP in Windows 2003 only to give you the experience working with it - and thats about it. I dont think your going to get any better reliability or features by switching between the router or WIndows so its nothing to that level.

henkk, for safety you would keep your router as DHCP server because if your computer is dead your roomates will not be able to obtain an address. But realistically, if your computer died and they already had a lease, they would simply keep the same IP address they already had if they cannot reach your server. So for you it wouldnt really matter either - if you want the experience then go ahead and set it up, dont worry about your roomates so long as you make sure to keep your DHCP passing DNS and gateway info so they dont loose connectivity while you learn!
  • garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    In a small situation like this I would use the router, no question. Like Sab4you said "for experience" I would learn it through Windows if you don't know how, but for good practice try to use the router in small situations like this.