MCSA VS CCNA:S, value

2»

Comments

• Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Thanks to all of you who have voted. I think that you all have helped me alot and I think I know what I am going to do...
  • azjagazjag Member Posts: 579 ■■■■■■■□□□
    knwminus wrote: »
    I agree with you. I am going to school for Network Engineering (AAS) and then I want to get my BS in Network Design from WGU. I can't speed my degree up to much (prereqs are killing me) but I can go after certs while a go through classes right?

You can if you have time. I finished up my 70-640, 42 and 43 in the last months of my semester. I'll go after my 70-647 as soon as I get a handle on my last 4 classes. Remember you can do as many classes as you want with WGU. I did 8 last semester.
    Good luck in whatever you decide.
    Currently Studying:
    VMware Certified Advanced Professional 5 – Data Center Administration (VCAP5-DCA) (Passed)
    VMware Certified Advanced Professional 5 – Data Center Design (VCAP5-DCD)
    azjag wrote: »
    You can if you have time. I finished up my 70-640, 42 and 43 in the last months of my semester. I'll go after my 70-647 as soon as I get a handle on my last 4 classes. Remember you can do as many classes as you want with WGU. I did 8 last semester.
    Good luck in whatever you decide.

Oh Im not at WGU yet. I will be xfering there in about a year.
  • LaminiLamini Member Posts: 242 ■■■□□□□□□□
    tenrou wrote: »
    There is merit in studying for both because unless you're very lucky your'e going to have to support the entire business infrastructure. This means both cisco and microsoft.

I'd probably recommend the mcsa and try to get up to a more sysadmin role because the higher level certs without experience tend to looked upon cynically.

the path im following. microsoft+isc+cisco as I am involved in everything at work

i think all this falls into the job role of a, sysad. i met a bada$$ sysad in nellis afb. anytime of the day he had 5+ people lined up at his office needing his help/opinions, but he wasnt just your server dude, or your call manager expert, he knew his job and then some, and also knew (how to do) everyone elses.
    CompTIA: A+ / NET+ / SEC+
    Microsoft: MCSA 2003
  • apd123apd123 Member Posts: 171
    Just wanted to let people know that you can still take the CCSP tests even though you haven't passed the CCNA S. I wish I would have taken the SRNS and CCNA S on the same day. I probably will only spend a couple days on the SRNS, but feel I could have gone 2 for 2 at the testing center.
    Lamini wrote: »
    the path im following. microsoft+isc+cisco as I am involved in everything at work

i think all this falls into the job role of a, sysad. i met a bada$$ sysad in nellis afb. anytime of the day he had 5+ people lined up at his office needing his help/opinions, but he wasnt just your server dude, or your call manager expert, he knew his job and then some, and also knew (how to do) everyone elses.

Yea. I think I maybe too young (career wise) to try to get into a pure net eng job. Knowing a little bit of everything would help.
    apd123 wrote: »
    Just wanted to let people know that you can still take the CCSP tests even though you haven't passed the CCNA S. I wish I would have taken the SRNS and CCNA S on the same day. I probably will only spend a couple days on the SRNS, but feel I could have gone 2 for 2 at the testing center.

But you won't get the cert until you complete them all right?
    Well I took my ccna exam yesterday. I was on fire, I mean I was doing really really well. But then my exam crashed on one of the sims. I got locked into a config t loop on a sim. IT took about 15 minutes off of my time. I did file a trouble ticket with pearson view and I did comment on the sim. The proctor told me that I would A: get the time back and B: the sim should not could. Nether happened. I finished the exam and I got a failed by a few points. I was never able to finish the sim. I called pearson and I was told I should be getting a free retake. So I am waiting on that. In the mean time, I was able to get 2 2950s and I am waiting on my console cable in the mail. Next month I will probably get another 2950 and 2 2620xm's. I will more than likely do my retake after I get the hardware and practice. My end of the year goals are going to be like this.

CCNA/CCNA:S/Security+
    2010: Linux+/CCNP/CCSA