Options

Monitor battle-out

TalicTalic Member Posts: 423
I'm getting tired of my old single monitor ways and in the market for another one. My current main monitor is a 20.1 inch Viewsonic VX2025wm and I'm considering a 23 incher for a little bit of a upgrade. At first I was looking for a smaller monitor to take up less space but I may just go ahead and get one with more real estate. The two monitors I was looking at are LG and Asus and here's the Newegg link to them.
Newegg.com - LG W2343T-PF Black 23" 5ms HDMI Widescreen Full HD 1080p LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 30000:1(DC) - LCD Monitors
Newegg.com - ASUS VH242H Black 23.6" 5ms HDMI Full 1080P Widescreen LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 1000:1 (ASCR 20000:1) Built in Speakers - LCD Monitors
or a 24 inch Asus
Newegg.com - ASUS VW246H Black 24" 2ms(GTG) HDMI Widescreen LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 1000:1 (ASCR 20000:1) Built in Speakers - LCD Monitors
I'm kinda stuck deciding between them, I'm not sure if it's worth it getting the larger Asus monitors over LG. I looked at them at BestBuy but it really didn't help to decide.

A odd man out is a high res Samsung
Newegg.com - SAMSUNG 2343BWX High Glossy Black 23" 5ms 16:9 Widescreen LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 20000:1 (DC) w/ HDCP Support - LCD Monitors
The regular res Samsung is a bit overpriced though.

Comments

• Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    I've been pleased with the Samsung LCDs over the years.

So, I'd say overall, they have been worth value.

I've also purchased a few cheaper models just for some smaller projects and they are 'ok', but not super pleased with them after using them (colors seem off).

Why not take a look at some viewsonics? They are generally inexpensive and decent quality for their value?

Otherwise, the ones you have are ok, I try to avoid 'speakers' built in, especially since I typically have better speakers then the ones built in to LCDs...your choice though.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I recently went with two of the Asus 23.6" LCD's in one of your links. I also looked at the Samsung displays, but they lacked HDMI which was a requirement for me. The Asus screens have a great overall picture and work well for games as well - very easy to be in front of for a long time and I don't get that much eye strain, even if I forget to where my glasses ("computer" glasses prescription).

It's great having two so I have my primary display and my secondary can act as a 2nd display for my PC when I need two displays or it can function as a HD display from the HDMI out on my Dish Network receiver. This is the only place I use the built-in speakers - they aren't the best but are just fine for watching occasional TV.
  • Options
    ResevenReseven Member Posts: 237 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I have the same monitor as you Talic. It's my birthday soon and I decided to get myself a new larger display. I took a shot at a Hanns·G HG-281DPB 27.5" 1920x1200 monitor.
    Newegg.com - Hanns·G HG-281DPB Black 27.5" 3ms Widescreen LCD HDMI Monitor 500 cd/m2 800:1 Built in Speakers - LCD Monitors
    It took one day to arrive from newegg. Wow, it's huge! It arrived perfect, no dead pixels, no backlight issues.

Here's a pic for comparison
    Pain Gauge - my electro-industrial music project
  • Options
    wd40wd40 Member Posts: 1,017 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Just a small question.

I switched from a 17" CRT monitor to a 22" LCD one 1 year ago, and I'm facing a problem with text size, it is too small on the new one "@ 1680 * 1050

will I have the same issue if I switch to a 25.5" monitor @ 1920 * 1200?, will the text become even smaller at the default monitor resolution?

Amazon.com: Samsung Touch Of Color T260HD 25.5-Inch LCD HDTV Monitor: Electronics
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Yea. You can change the font size in display properties, but it tends to break a few things (at least visually).
  • Options
    TalicTalic Member Posts: 423
    Well Viewsonic has a pretty good price on Buy.com, I'm starting to think that it's a good buy:
    ViewSonic VX2433wm 24'' (23.6'' Viewable) Widescreen 1080p LCD Monitor with HDMI - 2ms (G to G), 20,000:1 (DC) - VX2433WM - Buy.com
    Samsung is about 10 dollars more but its just a regular 23 incher where the Viewsonic is almost 24.
    Samsung 2333SW 23'' Widescreen LCD Monitor - 20000:1 (DC), 5ms, 1920 x 1080, DVI - 2333SW - Buy.com

The Hanns-G is a bit too big and more then I'm looking to spend. It's almost TV size though, which is cool.

edit: I'm stuck between the 24 inch Asus on Newegg and the Viewsonic above on Buy.com.