Options

Packet Tracer 5 and OSPF

tenroutenrou Member Posts: 108
Hey,

Not sure if anyone will be able to answer this but if someone can then great. I'm testing OSPF layouts as I go along with CBT Nuggets ICND2. Jeremy is talking about default-information originate to transfer the default route into OSPF but it's not working for me in packet tracer. The command is recognised but it's not changing the route to type E2. I don't think I'm doing it wrong. There are also other commands that dont work, such as area 1 range. I suspect that packet tracer just doesn't support multiple areas but if anyone was able to confirm this then that would be some great peace of mind.

I've got 2 routers here that I can fire up if need be but I've actually found packet tracer to be pretty damn useful. I've just thrown down a 10 router OSPF layout in minutes.

edit. I think this is to do with areas. I thought I setup a 2nd area on one of my routers but it's not sending out the routes. The command is definitely in running-config

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    captobviouscaptobvious Member Posts: 648
    Is the connection up/up?
  • Options
    dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    do you have an existing static default route in the routing table on the router with the "default information orginate" command?
    The only easy day was yesterday!
  • Options
    Hey,

The conenction is up/up and the route is definitely in the routing table. It's currently showing as the gateway of last resort.

Thanks
  • Options
    billyrbillyr Member Posts: 186
    Im pretty sure Packet tracer doesn't support multi area OSPF
  • Options
    billscott92787billscott92787 Member Posts: 933
    I believe the Packet Tracer 4.1 software did not support multiple areas. But, I just configured a 3 router setup with OSPF with two different layers and mine is working properly. Can you send the running-config info? PM me
  • Options
    billyr wrote: »
    Im pretty sure Packet tracer doesn't support multi area OSPF
    I set up a multi-area OSPF topology in Packet Tracer 5 and it works fine. I did have to save configs and recycle one of the routers to get the full neighbor relationship.
  • Options
    Okay, so I've botched something up then? :)

I'll have another look at this when I got home from work then.

Cheers
  • Options
    Okay I am seriously confused now.

I've got the 2nd area working kind off. Its sending it out via ospf and I can ping the inteface connected to the abr but i can't ping the ip address of the router at the other end, even though I can from the abr.

edit: okay I gave up and started again, everything works when i use only 2 interfaces per router but when i add a 3rd it all goes haywire. Am I mising something?
  • Options
    The CCNA is only one area OSFP I believe so maybe I'd be better off focusing on jsut that until I've got a breadth of knowledge to be properly takling this.
  • Options
    XenzXenz Member Posts: 140
    Have you tried using debug commands to see if you can find a problem with your configuration?

I'd need to see the output from
    show ip route
    show ip protocols
    show ip ospf database
    show running-config
    to see where the problem lies. If you could send me the pkt file or you could add more information about your network I'm sure some of us could help more.

As far as packet tracer goes, it has some interesting bugs sometimes. I would not count on it for much more than CCNA studies. Cisco E-Learning mentions only single area OSPF
    Learning Offerings

If you think it could be a configuration error then give us some more information.
    Currently working on:
    CCNP, 70-620 Vista 70-290 Server 2003
    Packet Tracer activities and ramblings on my blog:
    http://www.sbntech.info
  • Options
    Will do, thanks for the help everyone.

It's one of those things that I feel like working through will do me a lot of benefit so I'm trying to work through it myself where possible. I'll maybe hit up GNS3 (SP?), it may be the better option here.
  • Options
    Xenz wrote: »
    Have you tried using debug commands to see if you can find a problem with your configuration?

I'd need to see the output from
    show ip route
    show ip protocols
    show ip ospf database
    show running-config
    to see where the problem lies. If you could send me the pkt file or you could add more information about your network I'm sure some of us could help more.

As far as packet tracer goes, it has some interesting bugs sometimes. I would not count on it for much more than CCNA studies. Cisco E-Learning mentions only single area OSPF
    Learning Offerings

If you think it could be a configuration error then give us some more information.
    How about show ip ospf neighbor?

GNS3 has been good for me. I wasn't into it much when I first started but I have grown to like it. :)
  • Options
    They show up in show ip ospf neighbor until the dreaded 3rd interface goes on and then it falls to bits.

I had a setup where 1 router had 4 interfaces and one same area and one dififerent area route weren't being shown. I removed the not working same area interface and suddenly show ip ospf neighbor detected the 2nd are and it appeared in the other routs routing table.

I can't help but suspect packet tracer, but I'll check it out in GNS3 and see if I can get it working.

Thanks
  • Options
    AlexMRAlexMR Member Posts: 275
    OSPF is a huge routing protocol and Packet tracer is a simulator for the CCNA exam topics, which dont include complex Multiarea OSPF.

If you want to try all thre possibilities of OSPF then it is dynamips or even better, GNS3. Or even better real equipment obviously.

Good luck.
    Training/Studying for....CCNP (BSCI) and some MS.
  • Options
    Wow, just read that back and I appologise for my typing there, knocked that one out in a bit of a rush during my lunch break.