Options

First exam ever scheduled!

rsuttonrsutton Member Posts: 1,029 ■■■■■□□□□□
This is an exciting thing for me. I've been in IT for about 10 years and I'm finally getting around to my first certification exam. I just paid for the exam and it is scheduled for two weeks from today at 17:00. I will be taking the ICND1.

Comments

• Options
    BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
  • Options
    cisconoobletcisconooblet Member Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Good luck! :) Study hard you'll do fine!
    CCNA
    Network+
  • Options
    jbrad95706jbrad95706 Member Posts: 225
  • Options
    blackninjablackninja Member Posts: 385
    rsutton wrote: »
    This is an exciting thing for me. I've been in IT for about 10 years and I'm finally getting around to my first certification exam. I just paid for the exam and it is scheduled for two weeks from today at 17:00. I will be taking the ICND1.

Good luck.

If you can't subnet pretty quickly (20-30 secs) start to practice using this website.

What material have you been using?
    Currently studying:
    CCIE R&S - using INE workbooks & videos

Currently reading:
    Everything. Twice ;)
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Wow, I didn't even notice who the OP was when I read this the first time. You've always seemed to have such a good handle on things, I had no idea you were such a noob ;)

Good luck!
  • Options
    Thanks I have been using that site and I have most subnetting questions answered under 30 seconds. For studying I have :
    * Read every chapter in the CCNA ICND1 Official Exam Certification Guide by Odom
    * Completed a few labs using Dynamips including Frame Relay, PPP, HDLC & Static Routes. I still need to do EIGRP
    * Used Bosom & Skillsaver practice tests
    * Listened to some ICND1 MP3's I found online from what I think is a Cisco academy
    * Completed the ICND1 memory tables from the Cisco Press CD
    * Practiced Subnetting using this technique in conjunction with the link you provided and the Cisco subnetting game on their web site.
    * Practiced all show commands on my production switches/routers where I work

I have two weeks before the exam in which I need to:
    * Continue subnetting practice
    * Do the EIGRP labs in Dynamips
    * Review the key terms from all chapters of the ICND1 book
    * Continue running through the Boson/Skillsaver practice tests

Given some of the other posts I've read on this site I think I may be studying more than needed for this test, BUT! I find this stuff very interesting and I have a lot of Cisco stuff in the network I work with so this is very useful information.
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    This is an exciting thing for me. I've been in IT for about 10 years and I'm finally getting around to my first certification exam.
    Be Careful -- I went even longer than that without getting certified (not counting vendor certifications earned during vendor training from the pre-internet days) -- and look what happened to me icon_lol.gif

Good Luck!! icon_thumright.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    dynamik wrote: »
    Wow, I didn't even notice who the OP was when I read this the first time. You've always seemed to have such a good handle on things, I had no idea you were such a noob ;)

Good luck!

Thank you, it's true I am a noob and studying for this has shown me how much I don't know about the equipment I work with every day. It's been a lot of fun working on this. I've learned lots of great tips from this site and even some from you! +1 to drunken studying in between halo/CoD/GoW2 sessions, that is totally how I roll too.
    Be Careful -- I went even long even longer than that without getting certified (not counting vendor certifications earned during vendor training from the pre-internet days) -- and look what happened to me

Good Luck!!

I am not sure I what I am going to do after I finish these tests but I can't imagine stopping here, I'm having way too much fun!

Thank you all for the encouragement.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Thank you, it's true I am a noob and studying for this has shown me how much I don't know about the equipment I work with every day. It's been a lot of fun working on this.

Isn't it amazing? I setup and managed a Server 2003 domain for about a year before I delved into certifications. I couldn't believe how everything I had done was only the tip of the iceberg. Certs are definitely a great way to force you to expand your knowledge beyond what you regularly work with.
    I've learned lots of great tips from this site and even some from you! +1 to drunken studying in between halo/CoD/GoW2 sessions, that is totally how I roll too.

Seriously, is there really any other way? icon_cool.gif
    I am not sure I what I am going to do after I finish these tests but I can't imagine stopping here, I'm having way too much fun!

I love the challenge. Do you primarily do Cisco work, or would you be looking at other certs, such as MS, *nix, etc. as well?
  • Options
    dynamik wrote: »
    I love the challenge. Do you primarily do Cisco work, or would you be looking at other certs, such as MS, *nix, etc. as well?

I work for a small firm, about 100 users, in which me and one other person support the infrastructure. All of our switches, hubs, routers and VPN concentrators are Cisco. I also support about 25 servers which are mostly Win2k3 with a few Win2k and an ESX box. I would say approximately 80% of my time is dealing with server stuff so after I finish these exams I am going to start my studies for the MCITP:EA track.
  • Options
    blucasblucas Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
  • Options
    djmayadjmaya Member Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Good luck.
    Jedi never stop training......
  • Options
    billscott92787billscott92787 Member Posts: 933
    Good luck! I am going to probably register in September for around Christmas time. Think positive, stay motivated, with studying, and you'll do good, let us know your results
  • Options
    jscimeca715jscimeca715 Member Posts: 280
    Thanks I have been using that site and I have most subnetting questions answered under 30 seconds. For studying I have :
    * Read every chapter in the CCNA ICND1 Official Exam Certification Guide by Odom
    * Completed a few labs using Dynamips including Frame Relay, PPP, HDLC & Static Routes. I still need to do EIGRP
    * Used Bosom & Skillsaver practice tests
    * Listened to some ICND1 MP3's I found online from what I think is a Cisco academy
    * Completed the ICND1 memory tables from the Cisco Press CD
    * Practiced Subnetting using this technique in conjunction with the link you provided and the Cisco subnetting game on their web site.
    * Practiced all show commands on my production switches/routers where I work

I have two weeks before the exam in which I need to:
    * Continue subnetting practice
    * Do the EIGRP labs in Dynamips
    * Review the key terms from all chapters of the ICND1 book
    * Continue running through the Boson/Skillsaver practice tests

Given some of the other posts I've read on this site I think I may be studying more than needed for this test, BUT! I find this stuff very interesting and I have a lot of Cisco stuff in the network I work with so this is very useful information.

I think it's great that you're doing Frame Relay labs and EIGRP labs, but on the ICND1 you're only supposed to know those conceptually. I'm just saying that so you can maximize your study time. I'm doing ICND2 right now and am doing Frame Relay and EIGRP labs for it!

Best of luck to you. I passed mine in March. I used Wendall Odom's book and had subnetting down cold which made everything a lot easier. I also recommend you write down your powers of 2 and block sizes and such while doing the "tutorial" so you'll be even quicker.