Options

2nd Interview 7.13.09

t3ch_gurut3ch_guru Member Posts: 166
I went to the interview this morning at 10am. I honestly thought they were going to quiz me, but they really didn't. They asked questions but now what I was expecting. Ex. What are the methods you use for followups...or what server o/s you use at your current location. I mean it wasn't like a test. I mean other places that had group interviews tried to basically quiz me or something. Nonetheless, I like the people who interviewed me. They were really cool. I even talked a little about World of Warcraft with one of them. I really hope I get the job. I think they liked me. Now I just play the waiting game.
Knowledge is Power.

Comments

• Options
    Jason0352Jason0352 Member Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
    What kind of job is it? I see you have a BS in MIS; I'm in my junior year of MIS and like it so far. Although I'm looking on going more toward Network Engineering than programming/DBA when I graduate.

Good luck. :)
  • Options
    I am aiming towards Sys Admin right now. But, the position is PC Technician. It will give me exposure to linux if I was to get hired. Also get to travel too. So, I am crossing my fingers. I wont mind going network eng one day.
    Knowledge is Power.
  • Options
    wweboywweboy Member Posts: 287 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Be careful about mentioning WOW. I mentioned it once during an interview they gave me a puzzled look and lets just say the interview didn't last much longer.

World of Warcraft has a stupid stigma that everyone who plays is addicted, lazy and won't do anything else. All I mentioned is I played the game during downtime when not studying, job hunting or hanging out with friends (who also play the game lol) in real life.

Good luck with your interview!
  • Options
    I hope telling them I played WOW doesnt cause any problems. They actually asked me if I played. One of them was telling me that they played. Maybe I should of said no.
    Knowledge is Power.
  • Options
    CompuTron99CompuTron99 Member Posts: 542
    t3ch_guru wrote: »
    I hope telling them I played WOW doesnt cause any problems. They actually asked me if I played. One of them was telling me that they played. Maybe I should of said no.

I wouldn't worry about it. They may have trying to talk to you in a personal manner, and not just job related. It might have just been small - talk.

Good Luck.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□

I wouldn't have lied about it. You might want to make it clear that you are able to lead a normal life, you still shower, etc. You do, right? ;)
  • Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    dynamik wrote: »
    I wouldn't have lied about it. You might want to make it clear that you are able to lead a normal life, you still shower, etc. You do, right? ;)
    Tell me more... What is this shower thing of which you speak?

I would not worry about it. I hate interviewes where they do not go into technical things with me. Had you already been given a technical interview?

I once had a second interview with two admins, I thought it went well. They did not touch on anything technical with me other than describe their setup. After, I wondered if the had already made their choice and were simply conducting the interview as planned out of courtesy. I did not get the job.

I promised myself the next time I was in a situation like that I would take the time at the end to recap their explanation of the their network and give examples of how I have resolved issues with those technologies or give practical examples of my knowledge.
  • Options
    I once had a second interview with two admins, I thought it went well. They did not touch on anything technical with me other than describe their setup. After, I wondered if the had already made their choice and were simply conducting the interview as planned out of courtesy. I did not get the job.

Wow that is scary. I hope that was not the situation for me. I felt like I was like the top 2 choice out of the 3. I mean the first interview the one guy told me the second interview was basically to see how i interact with the others. We shall see I guess icon_sad.gif.
    Knowledge is Power.
  • Options
    sambuca69sambuca69 Member Posts: 262
    Wow that is scary. I hope that was not the situation for me. I felt like I was like the top 2 choice out of the 3. I mean the first interview the one guy told me the second interview was basically to see how i interact with the others. We shall see I guess icon_sad.gif.

It was a personality interview. Don't sweat it too much.

Did they tell you when you would hear something, either way?
  • Options
    Yes they did. They told me the middle of the week and the other 2 are done with. So, Wed-Thurs.
    Knowledge is Power.
  • Options
    XcluzivXcluziv Member Posts: 513 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Don't sweat it. Sounds like you had a pretty good interview. They'll probably finish the other 2 today as well. Best of luck!
    LINKED | GTECH | NOTHINGBUTSHAREPOINT - BLOG AUTHOR

"TRY NOT. DO. OR DO NOT. THERE IS NO TRY" - Yoda

• Options
    jasricjasric Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Did you get the Job
  • Options
    Unfortunately i have not received a call yet. I am getting discouraged now. I thought I would of gotten it. icon_cry.gif
    Knowledge is Power.
  • Options
    skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    Xcluziv wrote: »
    Don't sweat it. Sounds like you had a pretty good interview. They'll probably finish the other 2 today as well. Best of luck!
    Agreed - they need time to finish all the interviews and review, and it's often the case that they run into some sort of administration or human resources roadblocks. So don't get discouraged if they don't get back to you when they said they would. My current employer was a couple days late in getting back to me, then said they were restructuring and might call me in a few weeks, then called me a week later to offer me a job. Just ride it out and don't stop looking for jobs in the meantime, and if this one doesn't work out, then there will be another one that will. Good luck!
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
  • Options
    Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    Normally when an interview branches out of the realm of the actual job, they're looking at how you interact and deciding if you'd be a good fit with the current staff.

For my current job, I was told flat out at the end of the first interview that while my skillset wasn't where they wanted it, they liked my personality and thought I would get along well with the group (I was being hired as a Linux admin at the time, and hadn't touched any form of Unix in about three years as I'd been focusing on networking. I was also a BSD guy.... needless to say, there were some clashes). He said he'd interviewed one guy earlier that day who really knew his stuff, but who had the personality of a dry fart (that's an exact quote). He said that skills they can teach, but you can't teach personality, you either have it or you don't.

I was called a few hours after I got home to setup the second interview for the following morning (which was really awkward.... I'm not a dress up kind of guy, I didn't have another shirt to go with my tie, and I felt it would be really tacky to show up in the same clothes, so the morning before, I had to scramble to a shop and pick out a new shirt and then change into it before heading to the interview).

I was offered the job about 5 minutes after the conclusion of the second interview. There were a couple strings attached - I would be hired at a lower level than the job I was actually interviewing for (so I was in a lower pay grade) and I had 90 days to get my skills where they needed to be. If I did so, then I'd be retained on staff and my job code and salary would be bumped to the position I was actually applying for.

I guess I did pretty well, since I'm still there, and managed to get myself attached to the Senior Network Engineer as his assistant.

Moral of the story - don't be afraid to show who you are during an interview. Don't get overly familiar and make assumptions, but if they're willing to engage you in small talk, take the opportunity for what it is
  • Options
    Thanks for the advice everyone. I hope I get a call from them today or tomorrow. I think I got a good personality. Especially since the interview when on for over an hour. We shall see I guess.
    Knowledge is Power.
  • Options
    brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
    Thanks for the advice everyone. I hope I get a call from them today or tomorrow. I think I got a good personality. Especially since the interview when on for over an hour. We shall see I guess.

thats a good sign. they wouldnt waste their time with someone they wouldnt be likely to hire.
  • Options
    Debating if i should call them. I called yesterday, but I did not leave a message. I wonder if they are screened my phone call. Maybe I am just being paranoid.
    Knowledge is Power.
  • Options
    skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    Debating if i should call them. I called yesterday, but I did not leave a message. I wonder if they are screened my phone call. Maybe I am just being paranoid.
    My vote would be to wait. Having been on the other end of the phone a couple times with these follow up calls, it can just be annoying and frustrating and stressful to get "did you make a decision yet?!" calls. Most likely you'll get a canned "we are still assessing the candidates but we hope to have a decision soon" type of answer if you do call. If they've offered it to someone else and are waiting for a reply from them, they probably won't tell you that.

I say ride it out for another day or two - if you don't hear from them, send a follow up email before the weekend or on Monday to check on the status of things.
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
  • Options
    Unfortunately i ended up not getting the job. I guess they didn't like me enough. I really thought i was perfect for the position. That put me down a lot. icon_sad.gif
    Knowledge is Power.
  • Options
    L0gicB0mb508L0gicB0mb508 Member Posts: 538
    Unfortunately i ended up not getting the job. I guess they didn't like me enough. I really thought i was perfect for the position. That put me down a lot. icon_sad.gif

Keep your head up. There are other fish in the sea my friend. It's definitely happened to all of us. Just get back out there and start swinging again.
    I bring nothing useful to the table...
  • Options
    rsuttonrsutton Member Posts: 1,029 ■■■■■□□□□□
    He said that skills they can teach, but you can't teach personality, you either have it or you don't.

I think that is an interesting statement; was that how they actually worded it? I can understand this from the perspective that you don't want to hire someone with personality issues, BUT! I think I would be a bit wary if a company truly believed that soft skills cannot be improved through training/learning. I'm sure this is not the point he was making; this just jumped out at me as I do a lot of reading and training on soft skills.
  • Options
    Alif_Sadida_EkinAlif_Sadida_Ekin Member Posts: 341 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Yeah dude, don't sweat it. I just had a similar experience as you. Two weeks ago I interviewed for a Systems Administrator position. The interview went great, and I got nothing but positive feedback from both the HR rep and the IT director that I interviewed with. Well, I spoke to the HR rep last Friday and she said that I should hear from the IT director later that day or by Monday (7/13) at the very latest. Well, Monday came and I still didn't hear anything from anyone. I have sent two emails to the HR rep and left her a voicemail. I sent one email and left a voicemail message for the IT director and none of them ever responded. I'm taking it that I didn't get the job.

I've learned to never get excited or happy after an interview, even if it went great and you've been told that you're a shoe-in. I've been let down too many times by false hope. I only get happy when I see an offer letter and a start date... At least you got a response from the employer. Mine was too spineless to even send me a damn email telling me I didn't get the job.
    AWS: Solutions Architect Associate, MCSA, MCTS, CIW Professional, A+, Network+, Security+, Project+

BS, Information Technology
  • Options
    Yeah dude, don't sweat it. I just had a similar experience as you. Two weeks ago I interviewed for a Systems Administrator position. The interview went great, and I got nothing but positive feedback from both the HR rep and the IT director that I interviewed with. Well, I spoke to the HR rep last Friday and she said that I should hear from the IT director later that day or by Monday (7/13) at the very latest. Well, Monday came and I still didn't hear anything from anyone. I have sent two emails to the HR rep and left her a voicemail. I sent one email and left a voicemail message for the IT director and none of them ever responded. I'm taking it that I didn't get the job.

I've learned to never get excited or happy after an interview, even if it went great and you've been told that you're a shoe-in. I've been let down too many times by false hope. I only get happy when I see an offer letter and a start date... At least you got a response from the employer. Mine was too spineless to even send me a damn email telling me I didn't get the job.

Yea it hurts, but I will get through it. Thanks all for your comments. It is greatly appreciated.
    Knowledge is Power.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Keep in mind that you're going to be facing tough competition in this economy. You might have lost out because of something superficial. Maybe the other guy's WoW toon complimented their guild better. I wouldn't take it too personally. Hang in there!