Options

Illegal job posting?

wweboywweboy Member Posts: 287 ■■■□□□□□□□
Just curious, was browsing Craig's List and one of the posts was a contract position but it said contract position help desk -- Women wanted. Then inside the post "women encouraged to apply 2 or 3 positions available.

Now I know its Craigs list and all but it got me thinking is it illegal to say such things on a job posting? I mean I'm a guy if I apply would I stand the same chance as a woman much less get an interview?

Just curious thanks.

Comments

• Options
    sdyesssdyess Member Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I saw the same ad here in Dallas, Tx. It really makes me wonder now!!
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I'm not sure what the requirements are, but I don't think everyone is held to equal-opportunity standards.
  • Options
    eMeSeMeS Member Posts: 1,875 ■■■■■■■■■□
    If the company has fewer than 15 employees then this is ok (albeit still stupid). Title VII also applies if the company is a staffing or placement agency regardless of the number of employees.

MS
  • Options
    sdyess,

Yep thats exactly where I saw it.. Trying to line up interviews if possible I'll be heading down that way for 2 months or so testing my luck. Still I just hope I'm not wasting my time as I'd love to get out of Minnesota..
  • Options
    djhss68djhss68 Member Posts: 205
    Probably some sick predator looking to lure some women and then **** them. This is after all craigslist (criagslist killer anyone?)
  • Options
    Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Our company was sued for not having enough women. So as part of the settlement they were asked to word our job posting with "women are encouraged to apply!"
    -Daniel
  • Options
    sdyesssdyess Member Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
    wweboy wrote: »
    sdyess,

Yep thats exactly where I saw it.. Trying to line up interviews if possible I'll be heading down that way for 2 months or so testing my luck. Still I just hope I'm not wasting my time as I'd love to get out of Minnesota..

Let me know when you are coming down, maybe we can do a meet up with all the techs in the Dallas, Ft. Worth Area.
  • Options
    sdyess wrote: »
    Let me know when you are coming down, maybe we can do a meet up with all the techs in the Dallas, Ft. Worth Area.

Awesome thanks for the hospitality :) I'll probably move in November but I'll deferentially keep you updated.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Any interest in Colorado or Arizona? I want to leave too. We could carpool! icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    TravR1TravR1 Member Posts: 332
    Arizona would be pretty good. I might avoid Colorado - high unemployment. They don't seem to have all their **** together. I also heard of a few health care and sewage problems also (not kidding). But I just heard that from a friend that lives there, haven't confirmed

I am also moving to Texas soon. In Salt Lake City if you aren't religious or love skiing there is nothing here for you. I am all done with Utah.

Atleast there aren't job posts saying white males need not apply... not yet anyway.
    Austin Community College, certificate of completion: C++ Programming.
    Sophomore - Computer Science, Mathematics
  • Options
    Icecube0045Icecube0045 Member Posts: 15 ■■■□□□□□□□
    TravR1,

Was that last comment really necessary.
  • Options
    BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Its funny about Colorado. I looked into going there in late 90s. Heard all kinds of horror stories online from folks who lived there. Once I went for a visit, found out nothing was true. Seems people who live there just don't want others moving there. Afraid everyone else will take things over.
  • Options
    apd123apd123 Member Posts: 171
  • Options
    skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    apd123 wrote: »
    k, I think we're getting a little off topic here, but I have to comment...if you're going to pull out the "freedom of speech" card here, then doesn't Icecube0045 also have the freedom to say "hey dude, was that necessary?" (And honestly, freedom of speech only really applies to governmental bodies trying to censor their citizens and/or media. No one's trying to censor anyone here.)
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
  • Options
    djhss68djhss68 Member Posts: 205
    We're not turning into a bunch of nancies now, are we? :)
  • Options
    TravR1TravR1 Member Posts: 332
    TravR1,

Was that last comment really necessary.

Absolutely.
    Austin Community College, certificate of completion: C++ Programming.
    Sophomore - Computer Science, Mathematics
This discussion has been closed.