Which test should i take?

henrock2henrock2 Member Posts: 36 ■■□□□□□□□□
I was wondering if there were any really big differences btween the ccna and ccda? I know there probably is a big difference from administering and designing. I am currently preparing to take my ccna but i was wondering would it be a good idea to take both. I really have enjoyed learning about cisco and probably would be going on an all cisco track, minor a few microsoft certs just to keep myself flexible. So if anyone could maybe help me out in my decision. Thanks
I am going for broke, and i love every minute of it.

Comments

• sikdoggsikdogg Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Personally, I think why not take the CCDA? The CCDA would round out your knowledge of Cisco networking. Once you've passed the CCNA, then passing the CCDA won't be very difficult as there's alot of overlap. Where the CCNA focussed on configuring routers and switches, the CCDA is more focused on determining which routers/switches to use for an given set of customer needs.

If you are really serious about persuing additional Cisco certs, the CCNA and CCDA are great place to begin your journey.
  • henrock2henrock2 Member Posts: 36 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Wow,thanks. I was unsure if i wanted to or not.BUt like u said it probably wont be such a bad idea. I know i talked to a few cisco techs they have said being flexible is the key to alot of things in todays business. But i love to learn so i probably will wind up taking both. Thanks a bunch for the input that really cleared up whether or not i should study for both. I will continue to study for my ccna and then go on to my ccda before i start studying for my ccnp. I mean does that sound like a feasible plan? Not that you know my knowledge or background in networking,but i am really serious about it,working with computers has meant the world of difference for me, so i really want to succeed.
  • WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    Although several topics are the same, the CCDA exam is quite different from CCNA. The CCDA questions are typically long case studies. 1 or 2 pages of text describing the current network of the customer and their future needs. You decide which equipement and technologies they should use. The good thing is that you will be suprised how much from your Network+ knowledge applies to the CCDA exam (a good example is cable lengths and maximum cable distances.) Another important part of the exam is documenting .

I really enjoyed studying for the CCDA exam, it really put things in a different (Cisco design) perspective and I still use the CCDA book as a reference because of the many details. And once you pass this exam, you'll have less trouble with the MCSE design exams as well...

Here's a link to the CCDA exam objectives:
    www.cisco.com/warp/public/10/wwtraining/certprog/testing/current_exams/640-861.html
    Thank you very much for the links. I have talked it over with my cisco instructor and she has told me that it was agood idea if i took both. Any suggestions on books or anything that could help me with the two exams? They would be greatly appreciated. I pretty much have everything i need for the ccna, i just need a great deal of stuff for the ccda. Anything u could recommend would be great. thanks for your help.

henrock
  • sikdoggsikdogg Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I agree with Webmaster. Although there's overlap in material the exams are different. Where the CCNA puts you in a Technician/Network Engineer mindset, the CCDA puts you in a Network Manager/Consultant's mindset.

The questions for the CCNA are much shorter and much more technical from an IOS perspective. The CCDA questions are scenario based, which means that the questions may require you to read thru a page or two of text describing a customer's environment and based on the customer's needs/requirements, you will determine what hardware/software/topology/protocols they will need to accomplish their goals or solve their problems.

I enjoyed the CCDA in that it lets you take a step back and look at the big picture from an architect's perspective. The CCDA works hand-in-hand with the CCNA because once the network has been designed, it will require the knowledge/skills of a CCNA to implement it.
    Any suggestions on books for the ccda? or other study guides
  • WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    Cisco press CCDA exam certification guide.
    Authors: Anthony Bruno and Jacqueline Kim

The problem might be that this book's updated version for the new CCDA exam will be released after the summer...
    icon_sad.gif well i probably will wait until then after i take my ccna. Then start studying for that exam. I might just wait until i pass the security + i dont know im just ready to start working and graduate from college. icon_wink.gif
    but none the less thanks for the info.

How much of the network management stuff is like the net +?
    Well the reason why i asked is that cnap gets you ready for both and they recommend you pass net+ before you take the ccna, which i did, so im wondering if there is any cross learning i should keep aware of?