Options

New Generation Acronis True Image Released

paintb4707paintb4707 Member Posts: 420
Got an email on this today. Figured I'd share it with you guys since I know we have some Acronis fans here.

They now have deduplication which is pretty intriguing.

Backup software for data backup and disaster recovery in Windows and Linux - Acronis

Would be fantastic if this "new generation" True Image actually works they way its advertised.

edit: Whoops wrong section. Please move.

Comments

• Options
    cleanwithitcleanwithit Member Posts: 63 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I love Acronis. Thanks for the update!
    A+, Network +, Linux +, MCP, MCTS, CCENT

A.S Network Administration
  • Options
    brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
    $1700/server license...thats almost 3 times what we would pay for Backup Exec 12.5
  • Options
    wweboywweboy Member Posts: 287 ■■■□□□□□□□
    oh man I love Acronis such a great piece of software.
  • Options
    brad- wrote: »
    $1700/server license...thats almost 3 times what we would pay for Backup Exec 12.5

They make their money off the versatility. Acronis doesn't require any plugins to work with a specific type of server.
  • Options
    /usr/usr Member Posts: 1,768
    Acronis is nice for workstation/server imaging, but trying to restore specific files from an image in 2009 is painfully slow.
  • Options
    /usr wrote: »
    Acronis is nice for workstation/server imaging, but trying to restore specific files from an image in 2009 is painfully slow.

I think its pretty fast restoring individual files.
  • Options
    /usr/usr Member Posts: 1,768
    I've tried it multiple times, on multiple machines, using multiple images. Each time I've tried it's taken so long that I simply canceled the restore and went another route. Haven't attempted to use it since then.

I don't know. icon_scratch.gif
  • Options
    /usr wrote: »
    I've tried it multiple times, on multiple machines, using multiple images. Each time I've tried it's taken so long that I simply canceled the restore and went another route. Haven't attempted to use it since then.

I don't know. icon_scratch.gif
    I guess it depends on the size of the file. I haven't had the need to restore any huge files (in gb) just yet.
  • Options
    wweboywweboy Member Posts: 287 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I used it for workstation / server imaging. I was responsable for rolling out new hardware and oh man it may a world of difference.

The awesome part was upgrading an existing user, walk over to their machine with a CD-R pop her in and start up the backup program, let the software back up to the 1tb drive I had installed on the Acronis server.

Once done un box the new hardware power it on, put the CD-R in the new machine and let it **** back to the hard drive.

set a time up with the end user to switch machines done and done. from start to finish maybe an hour and half the back up time took a while but the restore only took about 7 minutes.

Average size was 13GB of data. Acronis at my first job paid for itself just in time saved alone. That it saved our butts on a few server upgrades too.
  • Options
    snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    thanks for the heads up, always good to be aware of new backup software!
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • Options
    LaminiLamini Member Posts: 242 ■■■□□□□□□□
    just got my procurement people to buy it, cant wait! whats up with the server price??? i paid $1200 a pop for backup exec before and when i joined the program i got us using acronis at server at only $600 a pop, now its $1,700?!? whaaa?!

just checked the site, Server for Windows is $853 (quantity 1), no UR feature or deduplication crapola. Their top of the line is Advanced Server for $1200, nice huge jump, their stuff gets more expensive every time i go there
    CompTIA: A+ / NET+ / SEC+
    Microsoft: MCSA 2003